so how do people feel that verizon is doing unlimited again?

stuckinohio1

i didnt see a topic about this hope its ok!

and pretty much copying sprint and t-mo

de-prioritizeation after 22GB and 10GB mobile hotspot with 3G speeds afterwords

$80/Mo but verizon charges $20 a line fee so you are looking at well over $100/mo before even buying a phone. 

If you really need to have unlimited then its one expensive way to go!

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-unlimited-data-network-you-deserve-verizon

I'm honestly considering it. Does the plan include corp/work discounts?

dunno, i didnt see any mention of it in the video or one press release on their website, i was considering it till i saw its more than $100/mo before even buying a phone, however they did say if you had 4 lines it would somehow be cheaper, i dont use verizon but my guess is they knock off like so much per line so the first line is still $80 but the 4th line is $45, sort of like the promos sprint used to do.

i didnt see a topic about this hope its ok!

and pretty much copying sprint and t-mo

de-prioritizeation after 22GB and 10GB mobile hotspot with 3G speeds afterwords

$80/Mo but verizon charges $20 a line fee so you are looking at well over $100/mo before even buying a phone. 

If you really need to have unlimited then its one expensive way to go!

http://www.verizon.com/about/news/get-unlimited-data-network-you-deserve-verizon

According to a Verizon authorized retailer who posted in the Verizon subreddit, the $80 includes the line access fee (and $5 autopay discount). So it seems like a single line would be $80 plus taxes and fees (plus an extra $5 if you don't do autopay).

• Like 1

I think it is great that Verizon is jumping back into the Unlimited Data game and not only that but the additional perks (10 GB high speed hotspot data w/ unlimited 3G hotspot afterwards , HD video streaming, 500 MB/day Canada/Mexico roaming) are closing the gap to what Sprint and Tmobile are currently offering.  This is what competition is all about and for us consumers this is a good thing.  Good ole John L made Verizon squirm when they were starting to bleed customers.  Hopefully this spurs AT&T to drop their requirement of Direct TV and reopen a similar unlimited data to all customers.

I think this Verizon marketing campaign is also great for Tmobile and Sprint because hopefully it will force all the data hogs back onto Verizon and relieve capacity.  In addition hopefully this move by Verizon will force some changes to the Tmo One and Sprint Freedom Unlimited plans to make it more competitive to Verizon.  

For Sprint, I would like to see them bump their 5 GB of high speed hotspot tether cap to a minimum of 10 GB to match Verizon or better yet make it 15 GB to surpass Verizon.  Also a bump to Global Roaming speeds from 64 kb/s to 128 kb/s to be on par with Tmobile.  Maybe it could even kick Sprint's butt into gear and raise capex FY to increase spending on network buildout (especially on small cells).

For Tmobile, I would like to see them bump up their "unlimited 3G" hotspot tether speeds from 512 Kbps to 1.5 Mbps to make it usable.  Also maybe consider a cut in price of the Tmobile One+ International plan from $25 to $15 will help spur more folks to sign up for it.

• Like 2

I agree with Eric about AT&T dropping its television service requirement. By doing so, it'll save me $10-$20 monthly. I think AT&T will drop the requirement soon, now that Verizon has made this announcement.

As I mentioned in the T-Mobile thread, I think this is an excellent move by Verizon, which hopefully will be very successful for them. I'm glad that like AT&T, they are bringing a truly unlimited data plan to market, not the limited versions Sprint and T-Mobile have with their audio/video streaming speed caps. Hopefully this will force the issue on them to remove the speed limits eventually.

I do not believe Verizon is bringing back this unlimited data plan because of T-Mobile's successes, but rather because of AT&T's reported successes of their unlimited data plan. They are modeled very closely to one another, rather than to Sprint and T-Mobile. Its because of this, that despite my hope for a change in the plan structure of Sprint and T-Mobile's unlimited plans in dropping the audio/video speed limits, they may very well keep them, but charge less than AT&T and Verizon.

The other issue is spectrum, and while AT&T has enough to support unlimited for a while, unless major growth in unlimited data subscriptions commence for them, I can't see Verizon being able to handle the extra data load for long. They don't have much more spectrum than T-Mobile does, and already T-Mobile has seen a massive decrease in network quality since the Binge-On deal came about. I believe this is going to lead into merger negotiations, in order to gain spectrum among the carriers necessary to handle the additional data load.

I said this several years ago right here on s4gru, all these family plans with a wide range of data buckets was just stupid.  With everyone offering more and more data it was bound to make a full circle right back to unlimited data.

• Like 9

I said this several years ago right here on s4gru, all these family plans with a wide range of data buckets was just stupid.  With everyone offering more and more data it was bound to make a full circle right back to unlimited data.

The whole point to taking away unlimited, was so they could bring it back at even higher prices if they ever needed to.

Just like the transition to unsubsidized. It was not designed to save consumers money, it was designed to make more profit.

All that said, the vzw offer seems to be a pretty competitive one.

This offer by Verizon is very tempting.

In Los Angeles there's no denying that Verizon has the superior network when it comes to implemented coverage and capacity.

Sprint happens to work well for me, so switching may be more effort than it's worth.  Also, there are finally signs that Mobilitie is building out more small cells in the market, which I think could help significantly.

But Sprint, you're on notice.  Other carriers are starting to look very attractive.

• Like 2

What makes this great is if you can get the line count up to 10, you can get it for 30/month.

Even better, if you are a vet/military, you can get an additional 15% off.

Smokin deal.  It's a better framily plan.  Competition works guys... thank you sprint, thank you t-mobile.

• Like 1

All that said, the vzw offer seems to be a pretty competitive one.

The word is "predatory," pretty predatory.

AJ

• Like 2

I'm thinking of switching too. Verizon dropped a nuke today but they don't offer any discounts with their unlimited plan. I get a 19% discount with my college email and when i tried with Verizon, it did not apply. It worked for their data buckets but not on their unlimited plan :(.

I wish they did $80 including taxes and fees but I'm sure it will be more around $93-$95 with taxes and fees.

• Like 2

So, let me know if I have this right. For the family plan, it's $110 + $20 for the first line, then $20 for each additional line after?

1 line: $130

2 lines: $150

3 lines: $170

4 lines: $190

Does this seem right? -$10 for autopay

The original post should be edited to reflect the correct pricing. It's $65 + $20 line access fee, minus $5 autopay discount = $80.

Taxes and fees will vary by state, so that can't be quoted. 

I would edit it, but its to late, when i had posted there was little info on how the plan was and i thought it was going to be $80 for the plan and $20 for the line fee.

I just wish that the 15% off applied to the whole bill and not just the plan itself, then it would be a really good deal.

It's nice to see they finally brought it back BUT $80+ for me (single line) and for my needs is expensive. I actually like the tier approach (along with the option for unlimited IF I wanted to later). It will be interesting to see if AT&T will finally offer a unlimited plan with out the u-verse or Driectv. I personally never liked AT&T. I just wish Sprint would upgade all their towers to 4G LTE, here in NY state there are a LOT of 3G only towers.

I would edit it, but its to late, when i had posted there was little info on how the plan was and i thought it was going to be $80 for the plan and $20 for the line fee.

I just wish that the 15% off applied to the whole bill and not just the plan itself, then it would be a really good deal.

Yeah, no biggie! I figured a mod could do it if they desired. 

It's a solid plan. It has me considering switching my family over to Verizon. The only thing I'll really miss on Sprint is Google Voice integration.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

I've just completely switched to hangouts/hangouts dialer for all of my calls.

Totally keeps my primary # irrelevant.

• Like 1

I do not believe Verizon is bringing back this unlimited data plan because of T-Mobile's successes, but rather because of AT&T's reported successes of their unlimited data plan. They are modeled very closely to one another, rather than to Sprint and T-Mobile.

I don't believe that for one second. AT&T growth is almost non existent. T-Mobile is taking customers from the other 3 carriers, and has for the last several quarters. This move by Verizon is strictly directed at T-Mobile, and it will work to some extent I believe.

• Like 2

I don't believe that for one second. AT&T growth is almost non existent. T-Mobile is taking customers from the other 3 carriers, and has for the last several quarters. This move by Verizon is strictly directed at T-Mobile, and it will work to some extent I believe.

History shows that every time one of the big two makes a move, its reflective off one another. AT&T's unlimited data plan is fundamentally different than T-Mobile's. The pricing structure is quite different, as is the offering itself. No speed caps for video, 22gb throttle vs 28gb, and not to forget the television service requirement. The only reason the Verizon unlimited data plan does not have that requirement, is because Verizon doesn't have a large enough television service as AT&T does.

However, the pricing is much more similar between AT&T and Verizon, than to T-Mobile. Same throttling limit between AT&T and Verizon to, at 22gb. No, VeriZon did this because of AT&T, not T-Mobile. Otherwise, we'd be seeing a much worse offering. Verizon's version would look much more like this :

$90/$80 monthly first line, $45/$40 each additional line, audio/video streaming to 1.5mbps, internet browsing to 9mbps (still a call out to Cricket, owned by AT&T, as Verizon does not view T-Mobile in the same league as they are in, only AT&T), oh not to forget, they might even have a throttling limit much worse, like 15gb.

Again, if Verizon were doing this directly in response to T-Mobile, it would have been a much worse deal, with those kind of T-Mobile like provisions I mentioned. Verizon could claim they didn't need to offer as robust of a plan, because of their "network". Verizon didn't do that. Instead, they actually came up with a very good plan with minimal provisions, much like AT&T.

Ars, one difference. The stupid ass DirecTV requirement. 

AT&T has to get rid of that stat...right?

If AT&T knows what is best for them, they would just completely get rid of the DirecTV requirement and just allow its customers to use unlimited.  The AT&T network is strong enough with their large amounts of spectrum to be able to handle the mobile traffic.  Hopefully AT&T responds soon so that Sprint who always lags can finally join in on the fray.

• Like 2

ive been stalking the verizon reddit and something i noticed is all the people talking smack about T-Mo, they hardly say anything about sprint but man, looks like T-mo subs were just there for the unlimited data and now that verizon has unlimited data all these people are switching and saying stuff like "yeah T-Mo had great speeds but worse coverage than sprint" stuff like that, guess jon better start aggressively building his network rather than just converting current towers because they are hemorrhaging subs.