Galaxy Note 8 rumors, specs, thoughts, etc

jonathanm1978

For those of you still using the Note 8 is it worth picking up for $320 pre-owned? Sadly seems like Sprint doesn't offer many phones (at least currently) that I'd be able to root. Been using custom ROMs on older devices for years to eke longer use out of them and least the Samsung's have a few tricks available I can use if necessary.  Figure the 6gb of RAM might be a help down the road versus the 4 in the S8+.

IMHO yes.  Ordered the Note 8 (pre-owned) early last week for my daughter.  Arrived in perfect condition. I was worried about the battery life but honestly it seems fine.  Charger shipped appears to be a generic, but still has fast charge. No extra nibs for the pen, just the one. I'm not a Samsung person so not sure how long the pen nibs last or how many ship with a new Note. I'm not a Samsung fan but kinda liking the phone. She is very happy with it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fizzicsguy said:

IMHO yes.  Ordered the Note 8 (pre-owned) early last week for my daughter.  Arrived in perfect condition. I was worried about the battery life but honestly it seems fine.  Charger shipped appears to be a generic, but still has fast charge. No extra nibs for the pen, just the one. I'm not a Samsung person so not sure how long the pen nibs last or how many ship with a new Note. I'm not a Samsung fan but kinda liking the phone. She is very happy with it. 

I can tell you that I've had my Note 8 since release day and I've yet to replace the original nib from my pen.  And mine still seens to have plenty of power to run every app out there.  I will say that the battery on phone does not seem to last as long as it used to, but after almost two years that's to be expected.  I need to go my Sprint store and see if they do battery replacements.

• Like 2

I just read an article that samsung released pie for the note fe which is reincarnation of the note 7, so I'm like how they gonna do that and I don't even have pie for my note 8?  Went to check to see if there was an update, and there it was.

• Like 1

It's been reported on Google Plus social network in the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 community that Android Pie with the new UI is being pushed out.

https://plus.google.com/107127648936293675179/posts/59VDAVpX6Wn

On quick usage I'm liking the OneUI especially the ability to pull menus lower. Lots to explore now. 

I'm very disappointed though that we don't have VoLTE with this... still Calling Plus :(

• Like 1

On quick usage I'm liking the OneUI especially the ability to pull menus lower. Lots to explore now. 
I'm very disappointed though that we don't have VoLTE with this... still Calling Plus [emoji20]
Isn't calling plus essientially the same thing as VoLTE though? You are sending voice through LTE by checking the beta box.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, troyd96 said:

Isn't calling plus essientially the same thing as VoLTE though? You are sending voice through LTE by checking the beta box.

VoLTE prioritizes voice over other traffic, offering considerbly more reliable voice stability vs Calling plus.

It is the exact same protocol (SIP VoIP call with the same codecs), however the LTE layer is different. I wrote a wall post on this that is being revised now and should hopefully be up this week. It will illustrate exactly how they're the same and different (along with wifi calling).

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A tech. rep. relayed to me today that a fix for the "Wi-fi Calling is unable to determine your location. It's recommended to change your location method to high accuracy" bug that came to the Note 8 with Pie/One ui is scheduled to be patched within a few days.

Also said that VoLTE may arrive for the note 8 as early as mid April.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Well, this thread certainly has died.  I supposed most have moved on now.  But today I received a message from Sprint that Calling Plus was going to be removed and replaced with VoLTE in an upcoming device update.  The update is supposed to come by 3/31/20.

• Like 1

To be honest, I really loved my Note 8 on Sprint.  I turned that in to get my S10+ and to this day, I still miss my old Note 8.  I would be glad to have the Note 8 with VoLTE.  Hopefully Samsung will shift to 3 years of OS updates, especially with the global economy being affected.

19 hours ago, bill875 said:

To be honest, I really loved my Note 8 on Sprint.  I turned that in to get my S10+ and to this day, I still miss my old Note 8.  I would be glad to have the Note 8 with VoLTE.  Hopefully Samsung will shift to 3 years of OS updates, especially with the global economy being affected.

I don't expect to ever get android 10, but they have kept the security updates coming.  Not sure how much longer though but it looks to be at least one more.  

They better have the Tmo stuff turned on before this goes completely status quo.... Still to many holes inside buildings..

Or I suppose make it so it hands off back to regular voice without dropping