Galaxy Note 8 rumors, specs, thoughts, etc

jonathanm1978

I saw the first 'official' statements yesterday on the GN8 and some of it's incoming specs. This particular official release was the 4k display.

I'm still on my GN5 and love it. It's been one of the best phones that I've had since I started with Android back in 2010. I don't have any complaints on it that would cause me to switch to a different phone. Root and custom ROM maybe, but not a different OEM. And i've had most of the top tier...LG G2, LG G3, LG G4...SGS5, SGNE, HTC1 M7 or M8..whichever it was I didn't like the HTC and didn't keep it.

Is anyone else as geared up for the GN8 as I am? It's been a while since I kept a phone this long (the N5), but until a new NOTE comes out that doesn't explode...I'm happy. And that takes a lot for me to be in that state with a cell phone...but I am satisfied right now with what my phone can do.

Thoughts, speculations?

(btw, article for official display)

http://www.inquisitr.com/3851437/note-8-samsung-4k-display-confirmed-official-statement/

Edited by jonathanm1978

I loved my Note 2 and the entire note series (sans burning phones).  I think the reason I skipped the Note 3 or 4 was it was one of the last single band LTE devices, only supporting Band 25.  Then I moved on to a S4T, Moto X Pure, and now a Nexus 6P.  I love the size and features of the "phablet" devices.

My biggest gripe about the Note 2, S4T, and all Samsung devices is the TouchWiz interfaces.  I can't see myself ever going back to a device that utilizes an overlay from stock Android.

It will be very interesting to see how this device is marketed after the Note 7 debacle.

I liked My note 5 as well, the only thing I disliked about it was I couldn't get good battery out of it. Looking forward to the next note, if there is one.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Edited by MattVeltkamp
  • Like 1

While anything is probably speculation at this point, I too am looking forward to see what the Note 8 ends up bringing to the table.

I've always been a Note fan and even jumped one of my lines from Sprint to AT&T to get the first Note. When the Note II came to Sprint I brought my line back and kept getting each version thereafter up to the Note Edge. I didn't get the Note 5 or 7 and really liked what the S7 Edge brought to the table and went with that model. (Gave the Note Edge to my sis). But I really really miss the S Pen. So Yeah I'm looking forward to the Note 8.

On a side note (pardon the pun), I hope Samsung releases a developers edition of the Note 8 on Sprint and not just on Verizon (as in the past) and have it use Adaptive Storage. The current locked down S7 and S7 Edge without adaptive storage seriously limits the storage space on the device. 

TS

If the Note 8 comes out in late Summer, it could included HPUE. Others have speculated a removable battery. The damage may have been too great to retain the name, but enough features might overcome that.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

If the Note 8 comes out in late Summer, it could included HPUE. Others have speculated a removable battery. The damage may have been too great to retain the name, but enough features might overcome that.

I could be wrong but didnt samsung cancel the note line?

HPUE?

HPUE?

http://newsroom.sprint.com/blogs/sprint-perspectives/breakthrough-hpue-innovation-to-benefit-tdd-lte-networks-worldwide.htm

I could be wrong but didnt samsung cancel the note line?

Read the first post link at the bottom.

Maybe they would call it the Phoenix [emoji6]

I loved my Note 2 and the entire note series (sans burning phones). I think the reason I skipped the Note 3 or 4 was it was one of the last single band LTE devices, only supporting Band 25. Then I moved on to a S4T, Moto X Pure, and now a Nexus 6P. I love the size and features of the "phablet" devices.

My biggest gripe about the Note 2, S4T, and all Samsung devices is the TouchWiz interfaces. I can't see myself ever going back to a device that utilizes an overlay from stock Android.

It will be very interesting to see how this device is marketed after the Note 7 debacle.

If you haven't had a Samsung phone since the S4T, you really need to try a new one. The Note 7's TouchWiz was awesome (for the 10 days I owned it). I've been hoping they would port that version to the Note 5, but they haven't so far. I'm probably going to go with the larger of the two S8s, but I do like the Note line. I've owned the Note 4 and 5 now (and the 7 for a very brief time).

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If you haven't had a Samsung phone since the S4T, you really need to try a new one. The Note 7's TouchWiz was awesome (for the 10 days I owned it). I've been hoping they would port that version to the Note 5, but they haven't so far. I'm probably going to go with the larger of the two S8s, but I do like the Note line. I've owned the Note 4 and 5 now (and the 7 for a very brief time).

I've used it on s6 and s7, plus my Galaxy tab e. Still hate it on all levels ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

They are supposed to be bringing Grace UI to the Note 5, at least in Korea.

• 3 weeks later...

No dual cameras in the S8 it seems? Wow, maybe Samsung is saving it for the Note 8.

You'd think Samsung would copy the iPhone 7 Plus.

Why would they copy it? They should create their own product that differentiates itself from Apple, not just copies it. Nobody wants a copy, they want the original.

• Like 1

Why would they copy it? They should create their own product that differentiates itself from Apple, not just copies it. Nobody wants a copy, they want the original.

Even LG has dual cameras, though for the opposite effect, for wider zoom.

So they shouldn't include that feature just for worry that people are going to accuse them of copying Apple?

• Like 1

Even LG has dual cameras, though for the opposite effect, for wider zoom.

So they shouldn't include that feature just for worry that people are going to accuse them of copying Apple?

I thought you were saying they should copy the entire phone. If dual cameras are a feature people want, then that's obviously a feature they could add. It would need to be worth it though, not just a gimmick. If it improves the quality of the pictures, that's pretty cool. If it's just a gimmick, then they might pass on it.

I've been a loyal HTC owner till I went with my Nexus 6. I've been worried about getting a large phablet, but if Samsung is bringing the alleged 6.2" screen to sprint I'm on it! Totally excited for this announcement. Plus Snapdragon 835! Sold!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've been a loyal HTC owner till I went with my Nexus 6. I've been worried about getting a large phablet, but if Samsung is bringing the alleged 6.2" screen to sprint I'm on it! Totally excited for this announcement. Plus Snapdragon 835! Sold!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I agree I was the same way. I had about 4 HTC devices. Then I went with the Nexus 5. After that Nexus 6 in which I'm still currently using. When I saw the specs and renders I'm considering getting the GS8. I really liked the Note 7 until it turned into Galaxy Note Flames.
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...

I was planning on upgrading to Note 8 when it gets released now I'm thinking otherwise. I've been reading articles weekly about the Note 8 and this morning several news outlets are saying the starting price of the Note 8 will be $1,100.

That maybe a little too much for me. I want to get another Note but not pay that much.

I was gonna wait for the Note 8 myself, but I saw no point in waiting considering the smaller battery compared to the S8+ (3,500mAh vs 3,300mAh on the Note 8) and the same fingerprint location with dual cameras and 2GB of extra ram. I don't use the S-Pen anyway so I only got the Note 5 originally because of the screen size and battery. Now having the S8+ with the 3,500mAh battery I never have to worry about charging my phone throught the day, I take it off the charger at say 4pm and I will have over 50% left at 4am with a lot of heavy usage.

I've been reading articles weekly about the Note 8 and this morning several news outlets are saying the starting price of the Note 8 will be $1,100.

That maybe a little too much for me. I want to get another Note but not pay that much.

Non combustion is an upsell feature.  Samsung charges a premium.

AJ

• Like 5