Calyx Institute - $500 1st yr ($400 after) for a Sprint Modem & Unlimited Data

kgor93

I remember reading an article about this, the Calyx Institute (which does a lot of good work with Internet privacy and encryption) announced that members who join their $500/yr Contributer membership level will get 1 hotspot with unlimited Sprint data for 1 year. This works out to $41.67 a month, and every year after the first is $400 a year, or $33.33 a month. This might be quite attractive to rural members who are looking to cut costs. Plus the donation is tax-deductible. Has anyone taken them up on this offer?

• Like 3

I've been using this for about a month as my main internet connection.  I've mostly used the Franklin R850 it came with and the signal strength is pretty low but I get about 8Mbps down 2Mbps up most of the time.  It also supports IPv6, which is useful for me.  I used it for a little while in a Mofi 4500 SIM4 V2 and it seemed to work except I didn't get IPv6 addresses and I was not sure if Sprint would cancel the line for using an unapproved device, so I put it back in the R850.  The Mofi was definitely faster and had better signal strength and since it has external antennas I could probably increase that significantly with some better antennas.

I've been using this for about a month as my main internet connection.  I've mostly used the Franklin R850 it came with and the signal strength is pretty low but I get about 8Mbps down 2Mbps up most of the time.  It also supports IPv6, which is useful for me.  I used it for a little while in a Mofi 4500 SIM4 V2 and it seemed to work except I didn't get IPv6 addresses and I was not sure if Sprint would cancel the line for using an unapproved device, so I put it back in the R850.  The Mofi was definitely faster and had better signal strength and since it has external antennas I could probably increase that significantly with some better antennas.

Nice. I ended up picking up https://4gantennashop.com/ rural america plan. $65 a month but T-Mobile is way faster than Sprint in my area. Like 50 Mbps vs 15 Mbps. Hope more people use the Calyx plan. Bargain for rural users.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet :-D

Im house hunting and a house I am looking at has no landline options.  If Sprint service exists and is fastish and stable I will get a plan from them.  let us know how it goes! I'd be interested in how the signal performs on that vs say a phone with solid RF performance.

I just signed up for the 4gcommunity plan, I'll see if I can make the SIM work in a Netgear 6100D

Each broadband device has a unique sim card. They are unable to switch between each other usually. A call in to support should be able to get you set up.

They can swap them over. You can get the msl code as well, while you are on the phone to access the finer parts of the GUI on the 6100d.

Each broadband device has a unique sim card. They are unable to switch between each other usually. A call in to support should be able to get you set up.

They can swap them over. You can get the msl code as well, while you are on the phone to access the finer parts of the GUI on the 6100d.

Woah, you're saying if I call 4gcommunity's support after I get the Franklin that they'll let me change the account and move the SIM?

Woah, you're saying if I call 4gcommunity's support after I get the Franklin that they'll let me change the account and move the SIM?

If you have the Netgear it should have come with a SIM card. You will need to call Sprint support and have them transfer that device onto your line. You will need the assigned phone number, it is usually viewable on say your Franklin devices GUI, or may come with your subscription paperwork.

If you are able to get the number you can also setup a My Sprint account and change the devices from there. I don't have that link handy right now, but depending on the permissions given you may be able to use the website. Since these are from a Spectrum partner they will be considered a corporate or business account. I can send that link over later if you get that set up.

Hope that helps.

Wait, so those antenna's aren't for the WiFi? They are the Tx/Rx antenna's for the cellular connection? Watched a youtube setting one up with a yagi. Guy got huge RF gains.

Can you post a link to that video?

Sent from my Pixel XL

Can you post a link to that video?

Sent from my Pixel XL

It's pretty funny, currently house hunting and the only internet options I will have are from these websites.  Might be testing out these providers out soon. :-P

@kgor93, do you know if the 100GB and 200GB plans that offer ATT/VZW service are capped, or are they just throttled as well? There are two towers I'd be able to point too, those towers are light duty rural towers made for range. Need them GBs. xbox a lone is ~250GB/mo average.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the hotspot, have good signal in and around the house, but my speed is AWFUL.  I'm talking less than 1 mbit download and upload speeds on band 41 with 2 bars!  How do I whine to Sprint to fix this, or should I just send back the device and cancel?

EDIT: It works fine elsewhere in town, just near my house where I actually need it to be fast it isn't.

Edited by gunterm

• 2 weeks later...

Nice. I ended up picking up https://4gantennashop.com/ rural america plan. $65 a month but T-Mobile is way faster than Sprint in my area. Like 50 Mbps vs 15 Mbps. Hope more people use the Calyx plan. Bargain for rural users.

Which modem did you get?  Happen to know if it LTE Category it supports?  Even the manual doesn't really state.  I'd guess it just supports up to one 20MHz carrier. Does it have the ability to hook up an external antenna?

• 2 weeks later...

Did they remove the netgear 6100D as an option? I don't see it anymore.

Yup, about a year ago... right when I was about to get one myself and haven't been able to find one ANYWHERE since then.  :(

If you buy one of these plans, can you swap out the device with another?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, call CS and have them change the device, or you can make a mysprint dot com account, with your calyx assigned number and do it online as you would any device ESN swap.

• Like 2

I explained this process to @calyx, as they were unaware CS was an option. After emailing them, email trolling mobile citizen and then tweeting at Sprintcare I just called in. I just did not enjoy the idea of a battery powered standby plugged in all day per Note 7. Picked one up on Ebay, called in and got it swapped. Apparently no one ever tried this before. I just followed the instructions in the crappy aircard GUI to call x number for assistance. Nick and the Calyx crew were pretty excited about this news.

Who knew? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 2

I explained this process to @calyx, as they were unaware CS was an option. After emailing them, email trolling mobile citizen and then tweeting at Sprintcare I just called in. I just did not enjoy the idea of a battery powered standby plugged in all day per Note 7. Picked one up on Ebay, called in and got it swapped. Apparently no one ever tried this before. I just followed the instructions in the crappy aircard GUI to call x number for assistance. Nick and the Calyx crew were pretty excited about this news.

Who knew? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting. Would I have to be on the more expensive plan to use the 6100D, or could I buy any of them and replace the device with the 6100D? Also, is calling in easier or just setting up an account and doing it online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk