HTC Bolt

jreuschl

https://www.cnet.com/news/htc-bolt-sprint-exclusive-faster-phone/

Surprised no one is talking about this.  Sprint bills it as a perfect way to experience their enhanced network.  The first 3xCA enabled device out of box.

It is still probably too expensive...  close to the flagships.

It would be interesting to see how it performs in real life RF etc considering it sounds like HTC worked closely with Sprint on this.

• Like 3

https://www.cnet.com/news/htc-bolt-sprint-exclusive-faster-phone/

Surprised no one is talking about this.  Sprint bills it as a perfect way to experience their enhanced network.  The first 3xCA enabled device out of box.

It is still probably too expensive...  close to the flagships.

It would be interesting to see how it performs in real life RF etc considering it sounds like HTC worked closely with Sprint on this.

its not the first 3xca device

That's not what was written nor claimed. First enabled out of the box. All other devices require an update to enable 3xCA. 

It does have it out the box.

In theory, other Sprint phones are hardware-capable of getting these speeds because they have same modem or a slightly more recent one. But those handsets have not had the necessary firmware updates to fully exploit 3x20MHz aggregation on Sprint (HTC 10, HTC 9, LG G5, Samsung Galaxy S7, and Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge). Updates were announced by Sprint in Aug 2016, but it’s not clear if they have happened, or when they will. The HTC Bolt is the first phone to officially feature this capability on Sprint’s network.

Source:http://www.ubergizmo.com/reviews/htc-bolt-review/

I'm going to give this one a try. I have been waiting for about 3 years now for another large-screen HTC device. Hopefully, they've learned how to manage the SD810 and if so, I look forward to a pretty cool experience.

• Like 2

lol enhanced network. be lucky to hit 6 down where i am at

NO band 41 n your area? sprint needs that on all towers. and/or band 25 wideing. along with band 25+band 25 CA.

NO band 41 n your area? sprint needs that on all towers. and/or band 25 wideing. along with band 25+band 25 CA.

they have B41 with multiple carriers here

Screenshot_20161114-210935_zpsyc7igawb.p

sspr_zps84e5uhxh.png

on B25 i am getting around 3 down. and i am a 3rd of a mile from the tower.

they have B41 with multiple carriers here

on B25 i am getting around 3 down. and i am a 3rd of a mile from the tower.

Your signal is -118 so it would be slower. It takes under even-110 or under foot the fastest stuff.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk

So the Bolt is a truly fantastic device. Ditched my V20 for it, in fact. Have had it less than 24 hours and love everything except for the battery life which is, frankly, abysmal. I am hoping this gets better as Android "settles down" and I am using the phone more normally. Realistically, I suspect the sh!tty SD810 is probably driving some of this, as the phone can heat up a bit. Stupid choice, HTC. But other than that, this one is an easy winner - and still a great device even with an 810 inside.

• Like 3

Well, you clearly don't have an enhanced network enabled device so........

I have a galaxy s7 edge. Either way I can count on Sprint for coverage, just can't count on Sprint for any kind of speed, never have prob nvr will

I have a galaxy s7 edge. Either way I can count on Sprint for coverage, just can't count on Sprint for any kind of speed, never have prob nvr will

Lincoln or Omaha? Last time I was in Lincoln I did see speeds between 40 and 60Mbps on B41. With three carriers on air now, you should still see similar results with a decent signal. Your 8Mbps is pretty typical for a signal near -120dBm. 

So a few days later....this really is a wonderful device. My only complaints are the SD810 and the rather abysmal battery life. I can live with both of those, as the very existence of the Bolt gives me hope HTC will focus on big-screen devices in the future.

the rather abysmal battery life.

What kind of battery life are you getting, and what were you expecting?

Does it last at least a day ?

I'm thinking of steering my parents towards the bolt, they both currently have nexus 5's which while still usable, are starting to show their age.

• Like 1

What kind of batter life are you getting, and what were you expecting?

Does it last at least a day ?

I'm thinking of steering my parents towards the bolt, they both currently have nexus 5's which while still usable, are starting to show their age.

I'll work this backwards....first off, if your parents are using Nexii 5, the Bolt is going to be a superb choice for them. Comparatively speaking, the battery life on the Bolt is worlds better than the Nexus 5. Actually, as a phone it blows the Nexus 5 out of the water in every category. Seriously. Your parents would be ecstatic.

Feel in hand is a lot like the iPhone 6/6S Plus.

I'm comparing battery life anecdotally to the LG V20 and iPhone 7 Plus - I get significantly less time (2-3 hours less) per charge on the Bolt than the other two devices with very similar usage patterns. For a "normal" user, the Bolt would probably last all day. I run businesses from my phone and consume a lot of media, so I think my daily usage is probably significantly above average. Not to mention I am rarely on WiFi simply because the places where I work often don't have it. 

So, to sum....compared to other modern smartphones that are similarly sized and equipped (like the LG V20 and the iPhone 7 Plus), the Bolt is just not quite up to bar from a battery life standpoint. But for the average user, I doubt it'd be noticeable and I suspect the phone would still last a day for the "average" user. Further, the Bolt's many other attributes far and away make up for slightly reduced battery life. I've been very  pleasantly surprised by this one, and I was already a raving HTC fan.

Hope this helps and it's not just a bunch of rambling. I've had 1.5 hrs of sleep over the past 50 hours.  :blink:  :w00t:  :twitch:

• Like 2

I'll work this backwards....first off, if your parents are using Nexii 5, the Bolt is going to be a superb choice for them. Comparatively speaking, the battery life on the Bolt is worlds better than the Nexus 5. Actually, as a phone it blows the Nexus 5 out of the water in every category. Seriously. Your parents would be ecstatic.

Feel in hand is a lot like the iPhone 6/6S Plus.

I'm comparing battery life anecdotally to the LG V20 and iPhone 7 Plus - I get significantly less time (2-3 hours less) per charge on the Bolt than the other two devices with very similar usage patterns. For a "normal" user, the Bolt would probably last all day. I run businesses from my phone and consume a lot of media, so I think my daily usage is probably significantly above average. Not to mention I am rarely on WiFi simply because the places where I work often don't have it. 

So, to sum....compared to other modern smartphones that are similarly sized and equipped (like the LG V20 and the iPhone 7 Plus), the Bolt is just not quite up to bar from a battery life standpoint. But for the average user, I doubt it'd be noticeable and I suspect the phone would still last a day for the "average" user. Further, the Bolt's many other attributes far and away make up for slightly reduced battery life. I've been very  pleasantly surprised by this one, and I was already a raving HTC fan.

Hope this helps and it's not just a bunch of rambling. I've had 1.5 hrs of sleep over the past 50 hours.  :blink:  :w00t:  :twitch:

What kind of screen on time do you get with the phone? I've been thinking about the Bolt since its part of the black friday deal and is 50% off next week and would also be looking to replace my aging Nexus 5.

What kind of screen on time do you get with the phone? I've been thinking about the Bolt since its part of the black friday deal and is 50% off next week and would also be looking to replace my aging Nexus 5.

This is going to sound insanely silly...where is this setting located now in Android?

This is going to sound insanely silly...where is this setting located now in Android?

It's normally under settings - battery and screen would normally show up. Clicking on screen should say time on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk