Band 25/26 & 41 CA

So I was looking over approved carrier aggregation combinations at the following site:

http://niviuk.free.fr/lte_ca_band.php

And saw band 25+26, 25+41, and 26+41. I remembered a while back Sprint mentioned it was working on getting TD and FD LTE to play nice with each other for CA. Does this mean we'll soon see 25/26+41 CA in the real world?

WUjlfKm.png

yLHnR63.png

I also noticed band 25+25 CA:

vhSOpmP.png

I guess my question is, do you think we'll notice any CA involving 25/26? Would be cool to see CA slightly increase the range of band 41 by using 25/26 as the uplink.

Not yet.

There are LTE release 13/14 specifications which far exceed what is currently capable on sprints LTE rel 9/10 b25/26 equipment.

Intraband non contiguous b25CA is a possibility in the near future.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 6

I hope so sprint needs to do FDD carrier CA. The 5x5 speeds are bad. Tho its not as helpful as doing 10x10 because, you have to buy a new phone that supports it. However there wlll always be places where Band 41 can't reach, that 25 and, 26 can.

I hope so sprint needs to do FDD carrier CA. The 5x5 speeds are bad. Tho its not as helpful as doing 10x10 because, you have to buy a new phone that supports it. However there wlll always be places where Band 41 can't reach, that 25 and, 26 can.

Usually B25 and B26 are pretty heavily loaded, so CA on them by themselves isn't really helpful. What would be useful is aggregation with B41, or using the B25 uplink and B41+B25 for downlink (perhaps favoring B41 if that's possible).

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• Like 1

Usually B25 and B26 are pretty heavily loaded, so CA on them by themselves isn't really helpful. What would be useful is aggregation with B41, or using the B25 uplink and B41+B25 for downlink (perhaps favoring B41 if that's possible).

Sent from my Nexus 6P

That will only work in places where you can get b41. Sprint has a cell site on the roof of the building where i work and, i still can't get b41 in some areas band 25 and, 26 I can.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

That will only work in places where you can get b41. Sprint has a cell site on the roof of the building where i work and, i still can't get b41 in some areas band 25 and, 26 I can.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

MY experience is that the B-41 antennas really send the signal out in a horizontal manner much more than Band 25 or 26.  The band 25 & 26 antennas surely are designed to send the signal out horizontally too, but you can be directly under them and still get a reasonably good signal.  But it seems in my personal experience with it, the band 41 signal just does not seem to go down under the antennas much at all.    If you get back from the antennas a little and get height, the signal gets much better. I sometimes think that having b-41 antennas on a nearby building is much better than having them on the roof of the building you are in. 

I get a poor signal on B-41 standing under a tower that is out in the open let alone on top of a building.

Yes, you could see a situation where a building with B-41 antennas on top has very good signal in the building, but if you do, there may have been some special effort to bring the signal into the building.

MY experience is that the B-41 antennas really send the signal out in a horizontal manner much more than Band 25 or 26.  The band 25 & 26 antennas surely are designed to send the signal out horizontally too, but you can be directly under them and still get a reasonably good signal.  But it seems in my personal experience with it, the band 41 signal just does not seem to go down under the antennas much at all.    If you get back from the antennas a little and get height, the signal gets much better. I sometimes think that having b-41 antennas on a nearby building is much better than having them on the roof of the building you are in. 

I get a poor signal on B-41 standing under a tower that is out in the open let alone on top of a building.

Yes, you could see a situation where a building with B-41 antennas on top has very good signal in the building, but if you do, there may have been some special effort to bring the signal into the building.

the 8tx8r antennas are supposed to have both transmit and receive diversity. That in conjunction with beam forming allows B41 to expand its coverage area farther than is possible with simpler antenna panels.

I would like to see B25 + B26 CA together on Sprint when the next LTE release is made available.  Unfortunately B26 LTE by itself is way too slow to be optimal and gives customers a very bad impression.

Tmobile does B4 + B12 CA and I think it has worked out well.  I don't know how the propagation characteristics work out when you combine low band and mid band spectrum.  Does the LTE signal have the propagation as if it is low band, mid band or in between?

I would like to see B25 + B26 CA together on Sprint when the next LTE release is made available.  Unfortunately B26 LTE by itself is way too slow to be optimal and gives customers a very bad impression.

Tmobile does B4 + B12 CA and I think it has worked out well.  I don't know how the propagation characteristics work out when you combine low band and mid band spectrum.  Does the LTE signal have the propagation as if it is low band, mid band or in between?

Propagation depends on the primary band since all upload is currently done on it, and uplink (communication from the phone to the tower) is the weakest link. So if B12 is primary, you get low band signal strength but comparatively slower upload speeds. If B4 is the primary, you get B4 propagation but fast upload speeds. Ideally the network should decide which is best for you, since you don't want to load everyone on B12 otherwise upload speeds will be terrible for all B12 users. A nice advantage is that having B12 as primary can extend B4 propagation since B4 as secondary is only using downlink (communication from the tower to the phone) and the tower obviously transmits a much more powerful signal. 

Edited by Volaris

A nice advantage is that having B12 as primary can extend B4 propagation since B4 as secondary is only using downlink (communication from the tower to the phone) and the tower obviously transmits a much more powerful signal. 

I would have to double check, but I do not believe that LTE uses closed loop power control on the downlink.  In other words, no power boost just because the uplink is on a lower band and does not fail for a greater attenuation/distance.  The reference signals certainly are fixed ERP/EIRP.

AJ

• 1 month later...

Stumbled across this - has anyone seen B26 CA in the wild yet?

0e36cfa5017f26beda91817f6951a164.png

Ummm. As far as I was aware, B26 CA with... anything was not possible given the current hardware at cell sites. Also don't recall devices that support B26 CA with... anything.

Sent from my LG G5

Ummm. As far as I was aware, B26 CA with... anything was not possible given the current hardware at cell sites. Also don't recall devices that support B26 CA with... anything.

Sent from my LG G5

According to Gunther, it has already been implemented so I don't know what to make of that...

According to Gunther, it has already been implemented so I don't know what to make of that...

Any chance he confused B25 / B26?  Latest set of phones does B25-B25 CA, and his answer makes sense in that context.

Tim may have to correct me, but that would require new B26 RRU/RRHs, which I have not seen any indication of.

Any chance he confused B25 / B26?  Latest set of phones does B25-B25 CA, and his answer makes sense in that context.

I know I have heard about B25-B25 CA being talked about, but that would still require some changes at the site. I'm not sure which equipment is capable of B25 CA and which isn't. 

Tim may have to correct me, but that would require new B26 RRU/RRHs, which I have not seen any indication of.

I know I have heard about B25-B25 CA being talked about, but that would still require some changes at the site. I'm not sure which equipment is capable of B25 CA and which isn't.

Software upgrades for 25-25CA as that is LTE rel 10/11 and one of the early requests made by sprint to 3gpp back in 2011-2012.

25-26 / 25-41 / 26-41 is rel 13-14 which is a bit more ifty

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This HPUE seems to be working on the other side.  Enhancing the equipment to provide "...an average 3dBm increase in performance..." on band 41.

Pocketnow article--

http://pocketnow.com/2016/12/13/sprints-hpue

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Software upgrades for 25-25CA as that is LTE rel 10/11 and one of the early requests made by sprint to 3gpp back in 2011-2012.

25-26 / 25-41 / 26-41 is rel 13-14 which is a bit more ifty

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

When do you see band 25 CA actually happening?