LG V20: LG's Next V10? (LG-LS997)

Arysyn

Nothing official here from me, just wondering when people here think the next V10 device might be released? I forget when the V10 was first announced last year, so I'm curious when it might be this year that some information about the next V10 might be this year.

Hopefully the next V10 version I've been reading today might be called "V20" will be available on Sprint this time around. I've read comments on the various websites reporting this, and from what I've seen, the best suggestions are a rugged build, waterproofing, removing the ticker display (though possibly moving the always-on feature to the main display), and having the display be OLED. I'm hoping for a 4k OLED that would help LG beat the VR competition with a VR headset that actually takes advantage of the V20 or whatever it is to be named, unlike the G5's VR "Friend" with its own 720p display. Have a dual-dac ESS Sabre setup with ESS amps, which basically all LG would need to do is to take the equipment from the B&O HiFi module and put them inside the LG V10 successor. Then add on dual front-facing stereo speakers along with a 4500mah-6000mah battery, LG will have a sure winner in this device.

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I really like, all except for the bottom part where it looks like they could have added a second speaker in front, rather than placing it on the bottom. However, the sleek sides and top of the phone look really nice! I'll go so far to say that while I wasn't happy LG decided not to have built-in HiFi audio in the G5, unlike in the V10, if this is what the V20 is going to look like, then they could have the HiFi audio in module form for this, yet still be a worthwhile phone for audio enthusiasts. So long as LG learned its lesson with the G5 and will make sure the HiFi audio module for the V20 is available here in the U.S.

Quick additional mention about the V20. It looks from this (needs to be translated) : http://news.inews24.com/php/news_view.php?g_serial=973468&g_menu=020800&n_favtab=1

That the V20 may not be using the ESS Sabre audio chips for this year's model, of course the V20. I'm going to make a mention of this in the Qualcomm Aqstic thread in the General Topics forum section also, which is the V20 seems to be given the Aqstic for audio instead. If so, that very well mean LG finds the Aqstic plenty good enough to replace the ESS Sabre audio. Quite interesting.

Looks like they are targeting the high resolution audio crowd.

http://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v20-worlds-first-quad-dac-709306/

Seems like LG isn't relying on the Qualcomm Aqstic after all. I've already pre-ordered the Note 7, and while I admit this does sound tempting to have a smartphone with such amazing audio capabilities, I know LG likely will use one of their Quantum Dot displays on the device, which I personally prefer OLED much more than that. If LG were to announce that this is going to have OLED, that along with the Quad Dac audio probably would change my mind about the Note 7, but otherwise no.

I think with what has been written about the Qualcomm Aqstic, it'll provide very good audio that it would really take someone with excellent hearing to notice a difference between what it could produce and something like this Quad Dad system. Still, I'm surprised for the change between what I read just recently about the V20 using Aqstic, then this news about the Quad Dac. My guess is that LG is going to use the Quad Dac and headphones as a major selling feature, along with having the removable battery to capture the attention of people who like the older features of smartphones not yet ready to have all this newer technology being made into smartphones recently. This includes having an LCD display, of course, as that is becoming a rarity in smartphones nowadays, at least with premium smartphones.

I have pre ordered the Note 7 as well. I guess I will look into a dedicated DAP if need be.

I think the Note 7's audio will be plenty goo, but there certainly are plenty of options that you can use connected to the Note 7 for audio. The only difference I think will be noticeable between the two, Aqstic and Quad Dac, is when handling the very limited available 32-bit/384khz audio files on a few of the HD audio sites which mainly sell 16-bit and 24-bit music.

For me, there is a huge difference between AMOLED and Quantum Dot, that make AMOLED or just OLED displays in the case of televisions, far superior to Quantum Dot LCDs. If you're use to AMOLED/OLED, it makes the matter more difficult to go back to LCD, I believe at least. If you are okay with LCDs though and mainly just want the best audio, the V20 seems like the better device to have, but if the trade-off on the display is an issue, the Note 7 is clearly the better choice, and the audio will be excellent for 95% of the music available.

I listen to FLAC files mostly, and avoid mp3s like they're a plague. However, I highly doubt there will be any noticeable difference going from a dac that can handle up to 24-bit/192khz in contrast with a dac that can handle up to 32-bit/384khz. Again, the difference would be to subtle to notice for me with most music. Having the best of something is important to me when it comes to technology (I'm not a price-seeker at all). However, the best means both audio and video, which for the V20 I've got to say if only LG would put an OLED screen on the V20, that would win me over the Note 7. 

• Like 1

I think the Note 7's audio will be plenty goo, but there certainly are plenty of options that you can use connected to the Note 7 for audio. The only difference I think will be noticeable between the two, Aqstic and Quad Dac, is when handling the very limited available 32-bit/384khz audio files on a few of the HD audio sites which mainly sell 16-bit and 24-bit music.

For me, there is a huge difference between AMOLED and Quantum Dot, that make AMOLED or just OLED displays in the case of televisions, far superior to Quantum Dot LCDs. If you're use to AMOLED/OLED, it makes the matter more difficult to go back to LCD, I believe at least. If you are okay with LCDs though and mainly just want the best audio, the V20 seems like the better device to have, but if the trade-off on the display is an issue, the Note 7 is clearly the better choice, and the audio will be excellent for 95% of the music available.

I listen to FLAC files mostly, and avoid mp3s like they're a plague. However, I highly doubt there will be any noticeable difference going from a dac that can handle up to 24-bit/192khz in contrast with a dac that can handle up to 32-bit/384khz. Again, the difference would be to subtle to notice for me with most music. Having the best of something is important to me when it comes to technology (I'm not a price-seeker at all). However, the best means both audio and video, which for the V20 I've got to say if only LG would put an OLED screen on the V20, that would win me over the Note 7.

I agree completely. I love music but the overwhelming majority of people won't tell a difference. And even then it will require having sources of that quality to begin with. I am sure it won't be long before Fiio comes out with a Quad Dac if it is that great. I currently use the Fiio E18 so as long as the usb-c adapter works for usb audio I won't be any worse off than I am now. From what I have read the Note 7 should be better than the Note 4 in the audio and every other possible category any way. I am not trading my Note 4 either way so worst case scenario I load it with music and play it through the E18 and just skip the phone altogether. That or down the road pick up a dedicated music source.
  • Like 1

I agree completely. I love music but the overwhelming majority of people won't tell a difference. And even then it will require having sources of that quality to begin with. I am sure it won't be long before Fiio comes out with a Quad Dac if it is that great. I currently use the Fiio E18 so as long as the usb-c adapter works for usb audio I won't be any worse off than I am now. From what I have read the Note 7 should be better than the Note 4 in the audio and every other possible category any way. I am not trading my Note 4 either way so worst case scenario I load it with music and play it through the E18 and just skip the phone altogether. That or down the road pick up a dedicated music source.

I've been thinking about this situation a lot, even going back and forth in my mind about the comments I made regarding the display. My preference is for OLED, but there is something I don't like about the AMOLED display used in Samsung devices, which is its tendency to display a slight to moderate yellowish-greenish tint. When I had the S7 Active, I noticed it on that display, and ended up getting the Twilight overlay app and changing the color tint to be cool, making the display give a slight bluish tint to it, which is my preference, However, I've read that overlay apps can do damage to AMOLED, causing burn in. This is a concern to me, and despite my liking OLED for its benefits over LCD, I'm reconsidering some of my thoughts about LCD and possibly changing my mind to getting the LG V20.

Audio is very very important to me. If this was an issue of LG just putting the same audio chip as the V10 had in the V20, my thought would be to stick with the Note 7 and using the Aqstic. Yet, hearing about this Quad Dac is pulling on my thoughts and reminding me of when I had the V10. The V10 is what got me noticing the higher quality of audio and got me hooked on FLAC. When I listened to music on the V10, it made such a vast, noticeable difference to me over other smartphones and even my computers, that I knew I didn't want to settle on lower quality music anymore. Sadly, I didn't end up keeping the V10 because there were some calling issues I've since questioned my return of it to possibly having been an issue with T-Mobile's VoLTE instead of a device issue, as I've read about since. I loved the V10 for everything else about the device, and so that also is contributing to my thoughts being towards getting the V20.

I'm going to see how my order of the Note 7 goes. There was some issues that happened today and if I don't get some verification of it on Monday as I was told to expect, I might cancel the order and get a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium to use in the meantime while waiting on the LG V20, as I don't have a smartphone currently, which is very difficult for me not to have considering my health needs. Otherwise, I might try the Note 7 and see how it goes. If the display happens to be better such as what I've read, then I might stick with it. Yet, I'll get the V20 if there is the tinting issue, as at that point dealing with an LCD may be worth the trade-offs.

Speaking of Fiio you mentioned, I read somewhere regarding the LG V20 that mentioned a competing product to Fiio called Apogee Grooe, which apparently uses an older ESS Sabre Quad Dac system that supposedly is similar tech to what LG and ESS are designing for the LG V20. If anything comes close to that, it might be the Apogee Groove.

• 4 weeks later...

Great news for Sprint customers getting the LG V20!

I'm also glad AT&T is getting it. I'm definitely going to with AT&T. The LG V20 completely makes up my disappointment over the Vivo XPlay 5 Elite order that went bad.

Recommend relabeling thread to include v20 else many will not find it (unsearchable).

• Like 2

My v20 notes:

Like Note7 but with removeable battery

Devil is in the details. Will it do non contiguous CA like Note 7?

now, how to figure that out.  Perhaps Sprint and Verizon will have the same model and I can seen if it will handle all their CA options.  I am thinking about the possibility that Sprint may offer CA on Band 25 in the next couple of years (future, not present).  Last slide for the v20 says up to 600Mbps LTE cat 12 w 3x CA.  Likely that means more than Sprint. (note 7 should be able to do the same).

Other items I would add is the v20 is built to survive more drops with  MIL-STD 810G rating in theory plus you can protect the edges with a case.  Battery info should be ignored until we have actual battery life tests.Note 7 is thinner and shorter.
The note 7 screen is likely brighter in daylight
v20 - shake free video
v20 - no app drawer
- vulkan api
might support usb 3.0, but does not ship with that cable
" While the effectiveness of Nougat's enhanced Doze mode remains to be seen, this phone could last for some time. LG stated that the V20 will last 20% longer than the V10, so our expectations are high.
It's also equipped with QuickCharge 3.0 support, a technology that resurrects phones from the dead in a matter of minutes. We'll provide in depth findings on battery drain and charge rates in our full review."
- not modular like G5

v20 might be missing knock feature ( two taps on screen to bring it out of power saving etc).

release estimated to be in late September

• Like 1

Devil is in the details. Will it do non contiguous CA like Note 7?

now, how to figure that out.  Perhaps Sprint and Verizon will have the same model and I can seen if it will handle all their CA options.  I am thinking about the possibility that Sprint may offer CA on Band 25 in the next couple of years (future, not present).  Last slide for the v20 says up to 600Mbps LTE cat 12 w 3x CA.  Likely that means more than Sprint. (note 7 should be able to do the same).

The phone uses the SD820, just like the Note 7, so the same X12 modem. 

And man, personally each phone release/event gets more and more boring.  The excitement scale has turned into the boring scale. Apple's is in a few hours.  Let's see what all new we will get there. 

Those numbers look very strong for band 41! This and the iPhone looks pretty nice! Google pixel or Nexus I don't know.