Nrbelex

Pixel and Pixel XL Preview (was "Fall 2016 Nexus | HTC Sailfish, Marlin Rumors")

MadTiger    16

Google's end game is not necessarily to sell high volumes.  With recent Nexus handsets, that has not been the case.  Google and its OEM partners seem content with niche market share.

AJ

I don't know...Google presentation was all about attacking Apple and how it is better than iPhone.  Google is branding itself with this device...advertising that this is their own creation etc..  Google is looking for mass appeal...NOT a niche product IMO.  This is not a "developer" phone.

• Like 3

Dkoellerwx    7,909

I must have selective memory then because I recall maybe one ad I saw with the Nexus 6p in the last year.

Over on the Android subreddit people seem to be of the belief that the Pixel has received more advertising than previous Nexus devices too. Maybe your region had more Nexus ads but here I saw very few.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Primetime is national ad buys. Network level stuff, not regional. We've never had a regional buy from Google. It's only been network level. 

WiWavelength    31,435

Sprint and Google go back pretty far (Google voice integration comes to mind) so I have some rationalisation for waiting.

~$832 is a lot of money for the Pixel XL after sales tax in Texas.

You can harbour hope that Sprint will carry the Pixel XL, but realise that the final cost will be the same.

AJ

• Like 2

Dkoellerwx    7,909

I must have selective memory then because I recall maybe one ad I saw with the Nexus 6p in the last year.

Over on the Android subreddit people seem to be of the belief that the Pixel has received more advertising than previous Nexus devices too. Maybe your region had more Nexus ads but here I saw very few.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Just for reference, these are the ads I remember seeing. Note apparently they were airing during NFL games as well.

http://pocketnow.com/2015/10/19/google-nexus-6p-5x-ads

mm2kay    142

I was going to pull the trigger, and it's out of stock. 

Are they updating the site with new inventory levels?

mtciii    59

I was going to pull the trigger, and it's out of stock.

Are they updating the site with new inventory levels?

Check the Fi store for stock.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

mm2kay    142

Check the Fi store for stock.

Wouldn't I have to subscribe to google fi?

mtciii    59

Wouldn't I have to subscribe to google fi?

I ordered one and just won't be activating service. I'm sure it's frowned upon, but you're not charged for service until you activate, which I won't actually be doing.

mm2kay    142

I ordered one and just won't be activating service. I'm sure it's frowned upon, but you're not charged for service until you activate, which I won't actually be doing.

Ah ok. I just tried. The one I want is still out of stock.. Quite Black Pixel XL with 128GB  :[ I guess I can wait and see. 

• Like 3

WiWavelength    31,435

I wish this was 4x4 MIMO capable.

How do you know it is not?

AJ

• Like 1

Dkoellerwx    7,909

I'm not sure that's something that would necessarily be listed on the spec sheet.

WiWavelength    31,435

I'm not sure that's something that would necessarily be listed on the spec sheet.

The hardware has to support 4x4 MIMO or 256-QAM to achieve 600 Mbps over 3x CA.  But neither 4x4 MIMO nor 256-QAM is listed in the specs.

AJ

• Like 3

bretton88    352

Google is sure pushing the Verizon partnership. Their ads don't mention the Google store, just say "only on Verizon."

WiWavelength    31,435

Google is sure pushing the Verizon partnership. Their ads don't mention the Google store, just say "only on Verizon."

Who is buying those ads?  It may be VZW.

AJ

• Like 1

bretton88    352

Who is buying those ads? It may be VZW.

AJ

It might be, except it's the same Ad Google used before the announcement with the only difference being that the rectangle becomes an image of the phone at the end. And all the banner ads, even on google's own sites say "only on Verizon."

WiWavelength    31,435

It might be, except it's the same Ad Google used before the announcement with the only difference being that the rectangle becomes an image of the phone at the end. And all the banner ads, even on google's own sites say "only on Verizon."

This does not strike me as unusual.  I have seen many a bog standard iPhone TV commercial that brandishes a specific operator logo right at the end, as if the iPhone or a certain iPhone feature is available only on that operator.

AJ

mtciii    59

Delivery tomorrow! Hallelujah! 

• Like 3

nexgencpu    3,933

The hardware has to support 4x4 MIMO or 256-QAM to achieve 600 Mbps over 3x CA.  But neither 4x4 MIMO nor 256-QAM is listed in the specs.

AJ

Looks like they updated their spec sheet to reflect Cat 12 LTE.

Supports up to CAT 12 (600Mbps DL / 75Mbps UL) depending on carrier support

Basically meaning 4x4 MIMO and 256-QAM are supported to achieve the advertised 600Mbps speeds.

• Like 1

nexgencpu    3,933

Wondering how some folks are gonna be picking this up? Its sold out on the play store and Best buy is only selling Verizon devices (I would not put myself through the ordeal of trying to add a Verizon device on Sprint's database)

Google is opening up a pop up shop here in NYC tomorrow, but it does not look like they are selling the devices there :td: I don't understand how google can call it a "shop" 

For those in the area who do want to check it out they are opening tomorrow

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/inside-google-pop-up-shop/

Ascertion    2,663

Looks like they updated their spec sheet to reflect Cat 12 LTE.

Supports up to CAT 12 (600Mbps DL / 75Mbps UL) depending on carrier support

Basically meaning 4x4 MIMO and 256-QAM are supported to achieve the advertised 600Mbps speeds.

Excellent.  This makes it a little more worthwhile.  I'll probably wait for a sale though.  From the initial reviews, it looks like battery performance is pretty good.

• Like 1

mnjeepmale    115

I read that the XL is sold out until mid Nov. I want to place my order but looks like I have to wait.

HTCandroid    245

I read that the XL is sold out until mid Nov. I want to place my order but looks like I have to wait.

Similar to how the 6P was if I recall correctly. Got restocked after the return window for initial shipments and offered a sale. I'm hoping for $80 discount in November instead of the free VR.