Pixel and Pixel XL Preview (was "Fall 2016 Nexus | HTC Sailfish, Marlin Rumors")

Nrbelex

Would you guys (and gals) following the Pixel be interested in a raffle, like we did with the iPhone?  We were able to raise about a month's expenses on that raffle.  If we could get at least that much on a Pixel raffle, it would be worth it.  Let me know if you would support that.

Robert

If this is still under consideration I'd probably put in at least the minimum, maybe more depending on what I've got.

• Like 1

Looks like best buy, etc have killed sprint upgrades through their POS. As far as I know there is no way to get this phone for subsidised price anymore. I

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Sprint never offered this device

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As far as I know there is no way to get this phone for subsidised price anymore.

Can't take a punt on this one subsidised?  Feck!  That's bollocks.

AJ

• Like 2

He might mean purchasing another device via upgrade and selling it to use towards the Pixel..??

Try sprint.com. I noticed I can upgrade through the website now with my Sero 500 plan. In the past I would have to call in and be transferred to the employee line even though I didn't work there anymore.

• Like 1

He might mean purchasing another device via upgrade and selling it to use towards the Pixel..??

Try sprint.com. I noticed I can upgrade through the website now with my Sero 500 plan. In the past I would have to call in and be transferred to the employee line even though I didn't work there anymore.

Yes, or holding hope VZW exclusivity isn't permanent.

• Like 2

I saw something last week that showed AT&T would start carrying the device also.

That. Would. Be. Awesome. If Sprint started carrying it. Would be good for consumers as well if AT&T and T-Mobile as well.

I feel like if other there were plans they would have announced it during their event. Unless Google tries to push for other carries since the Note 7 is discontinued and they wanted to attempt to gain that market share...

Here's to hoping.

• Like 1

That. Would. Be. Awesome. If Sprint started carrying it. Would be good for consumers as well if AT&T and T-Mobile as well.

I feel like if other there were plans they would have announced it during their event. Unless Google tries to push for other carries since the Note 7 is discontinued and they wanted to attempt to gain that market share...

Here's to hoping.

Google should have come out the gate running. Releasing the device on all carriers. Available immediately with a massive advertising budget.
  • Like 2

What is weird is that Verizon has not been very friendly with Google...Sprint has been much more friendly to Android in general.  But i guess Verizon has best network and more customers?  

• Like 1

Stop with the subsidising.  Get off the dole, you wanker.  Then, buy on the High Street any unlocked handset you fancy.

AJ

• Like 3

Stop with the subsidising. Get off the dole, you wanker. Then, buy on the High Street any unlocked handset you fancy.

AJ

I just think that folks here don't see this device selling well only being sold for Verizon. Yes I know you can buy it from the play store. The device needs more retail presence at carrier stores, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. Seems like this device is another Nexus launch. Only its not a Nexus and is actually being advertised.

I just think that folks here don't see this device selling well only being sold for Verizon. Yes I know you can buy it from the play store. The device needs more retail presence at carrier stores, Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. Seems like this device is another Nexus launch. Only its not a Nexus and is actually being advertised.

VZW likely paid for the exclusive.  And Google did advertise the Nexus 5X.  So, this does not seem like much of a change in strategy, just a change in name.

AJ

• Like 1

There were tons of ads for the 5x and 6p. 

• Like 1

There were tons of ads for the 5x and 6p.

But certainly not to the point where there were statues advertising the release event and several full page ads worldwide. At this point I've seen more ads for the Google Pixel in the time since it's unveiling than I've seen for the Nexus 5x or 6p in its entire lifetime.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sprint and Google go back pretty far (Google voice integration comes to mind) so I have some rationalisation for waiting.

~$832 is a lot of money for the Pixel XL after sales tax in Texas.

• Like 2

But certainly not to the point where there were statues advertising the release event and several full page ads worldwide. At this point I've seen more ads for the Google Pixel in the time since it's unveiling than I've seen for the Nexus 5x or 6p in its entire lifetime.

I may watch more TV than others... seeing as I work at a TV station, but I remember seeing a 5x or 6p ad every hour during primetime for several weeks. May have gone on for a month. On each channel, plus plenty of cable/satellite channel advertising. 

• Like 1

Sprint and Google go back pretty far (Google voice integration comes to mind) so I have some rationalisation for waiting.

Especially for a new unknown device (in most customers minds). Why would someone want to pay $649/$769 for a device that's a brand new brand. When you have devices from Apple, Samsung, and LG that's around the same price point that has proven themselves as great device makers.

Sprint even sold the Nexus S with built-in WiMax!!!!!! For those who remember WiMax... I was one of the lucky few to live next to a site in Orange County, CA.

Especially for a new unknown device (in most customers minds). Why would someone want to pay $649/$769 for a device that's a brand new brand. When you have devices from Apple, Samsung, and LG that's around the same price point that has proven themselves as great device makers.

Google's end game is not necessarily to sell high volumes.  With recent Nexus handsets, that has not been the case.  Google and its OEM partners seem content with niche market share.

AJ

I may watch more TV than others... seeing as I work at a TV station, but I remember seeing a 5x or 6p ad every hour during primetime for several weeks. May have gone on for a month. On each channel, plus plenty of cable/satellite channel advertising.

I must have selective memory then because I recall maybe one ad I saw with the Nexus 6p in the last year.

Over on the Android subreddit people seem to be of the belief that the Pixel has received more advertising than previous Nexus devices too. Maybe your region had more Nexus ads but here I saw very few.