Pixel and Pixel XL Preview (was "Fall 2016 Nexus | HTC Sailfish, Marlin Rumors")

Nrbelex

S4GRU is honored at the request, and we appreciate the praise.  However, an FCC OET tested RF article probably is not forthcoming.  For several reasons, the article series largely has been put to bed.

Our FCC OET articles used to attract easily over 10,000 readers.  That number has since dropped by around 75 percent, making the time and effort put into the articles seem less worthwhile.

And then on certain articles, people have gone on to say that we are "wrong," that handset X has strong or weak real world performance.  S4GRU cannot control the uplink RF figures submitted to the FCC.  To have people argue with them or dismiss them based on their personally biased experiences questions the reasons for writing the objective articles in the first place.

Finally, the gist of the RF measurements and capabilities (e.g. 3x CA, VoLTE, etc.) usually gets written into a preview or user thread anyway.

AJ

Sadly, it seems like a lot of the S4GRU numbers have dropped as the NV upgrades have mostly completed and the internal information sources have dried up.  There is still a wealth of information here, but the daily usage is slim to none. :(

Sadly, it seems like a lot of the S4GRU numbers have dropped as the NV upgrades have mostly completed and the internal information sources have dried up.  There is still a wealth of information here, but the daily usage is slim to none. :(

Many S4GRU members have moved on.

Some are not wireless aficionados, just casual users.  With significant Network Vision upgrades finished, Sprint now meets their needs.  They do not care to keep up with the minutiae.

Others require a regular dose of updates to stick around.  No news means no continued patronage.

And for some, they decided that Sprint does not meet their needs and probably never will.  So, they have left for nifty shit from T-Mobile, MetroPCS, and Cricket or boring stability from the Twin Bells.

AJ

• Like 3

Do these mentions of people leaving S4GRU mean the staff may be considering an end to this site?

I know from reading here in the past recent months a few mentions of struggles to get finances, and now the mention of articles not being worth writing. I know I really like reading these type of articles relating to RF, as those written about devices showing fair to poor RF have kept me from wasting my money on them. Also, its sad to think this site could ever be at risk of going away, because this is one of the most consistent forums I've been on. So long as people know what to expect here and are able to accept the open, but mindful discussion system here, its really a valuable place to be on and to participate in, as I've recently written my own thoughts of gratitude to the site recently in the Marcelo thread.

So many other forums have constantly changing rules/policies, staff who have differing ways of moderating which lead to establishing favoritism, cliques among member groups that often bond with staff, and all sorts of troublesome aspects, not to forget fanboys/fangirls around. That all is stuff S4GRU doesn't do/doesn't have, and Ithink even if the Sprint side of the site may be lessening away, there still is a good presence of intellectual rf/spectrum analysis here. This is where for the past few years I've learned the most about spectrum. I'd hate to see this site go away.

I've made this suggestion before, but I'll mention it again here just in case it could be considered. The staff and current membership here could help to make this site into a site that keeps its roots of rf/spectrum analysis, but cover intellectual discussion of all carriers and devices, similar to how XDA Developers does it with the app development specialty. I've mentioned before how I don't even think HowardForums would be fair competition as HF has really diminished over the years. With S4GRU doing this, there would be an added "valuable" cell/wireless forum site online to XDA Developers, and I think doing this would bring in more donations while keeping the site alive for those members still wanting a good, safe place to discuss any Sprint development in a Sprint forum section.

• Like 1

I would sure consider setting up a monthly payment if this forum would cover all carriers. The only reason I keep coming to the site is for the technical discussions about modern LTE networks, tower pictures etc. Sprint does not meet my needs for coverage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Do these mentions of people leaving S4GRU mean the staff may be considering an end to this site?

The rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated.

With our new reduced rates from IP Board, we should be able to keep the site funded. So as long as S4GRU members are still using the site and staff keep wanting to work around here, S4GRU is not going anywhere.

One caveat about IP Board, though. If usage rates increase significantly, our fees increase. So a significant increase in traffic will also need to be tied to an increase in revenue. But our traffic numbers are pretty steady now.

All is good in the land of S4GRU! And the party continued all night long...

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 10

The rumors of our demise are greatly exaggerated.

With our new reduced rates from IP Board, we should be able to keep the site funded. So as long as S4GRU members are still using the site and staff keep wanting to work around here, S4GRU is not going anywhere.

One caveat about IP Board, though. If usage rates increase significantly, our fees increase. So a significant increase in traffic will also need to be tied to an increase in revenue. But our traffic numbers are pretty steady now.

All is good in the land of S4GRU! And the party continued all night long...

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

That is very good news!

I'm definitely glad to hear this. I get concerned when I see news about low donations, and while I have to watch money between my health needs and upcoming moving expenses, I'm hoping my ideas are a good form of donating "help" to the site, in case another arrangement to bring in donors needs to be made to keep the site going.

I'm glad to hear the IP Board reduced their rates too. My goodness were they expensive the several times I've checked it throughout the past few years. I've considered many times starting a forum based on health/life-death philosophy using the IP Board software, but its been quite expensive for what I think I might be able to bring in for paid memberships. I'll take another look at it though and possibly reconsider.

Article is on The Wall...

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-412-the-rf-evolutionrevolution-of-the-htc-2016-nexus/

If you have not donated to S4GRU recently, as a show of thanks for the requested article, consider giving a little bit to help cover monthly site hosting expenses.

AJ

• Like 9

the 2016 Nexus do spec out typically average or slightly below.

Well. That's disappointing. With the Note 7 overpriced and the Nexus being a par to subpar performer, it's looking like I'll hang on to the Note 4 for another year. Maybe LG will surprise and bring a great V20 to Sprint. They just cut their mobile division, so that doesn't look good.

• Like 1

Well. That's disappointing. With the Note 7 overpriced and the Nexus being a par to subpar performer, it's looking like I'll hang on to the Note 4 for another year. Maybe LG will surprise and bring a great V20 to Sprint. They just cut their mobile division, so that doesn't look good.

I second holding onto my note 4

I'm hoping the LG V20 is available on Sprint. The V10 was a great smartphone, and I'm anxiously awaiting for the V20, which I expect will be available on AT&T, the carrier I have.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose the thread could be renamed "Google Pixel and Pixel XL Rumors."

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/09/01/exclusive-googles-new-phones-will-be-called-the-pixel-and-pixel-xl/

Good suggestion!

Last year I came up with the idea that the Google Nexus smartphones have its own section on the forum, rather than being under the different manufacturers. While it seemed the staff considered it, they decided to leave it the way it is, which I can understand.

However, now it may be a better idea to have a section for it, if Google is moving towards having more control over their smartphone, as I've read this smartphone isn't even going to have an HTC logo on it at all. From what I've read, it almost seems like Google is going to have HTC as a quiet manufacturer of these smartphones, while it mostly being a Google smartphone. Sort of how Apple has Foxconn manufacture their Iphones, yet it isn't considered at all to be a Foxconn smartphone, only Apple.

If this turns out to be the case, then I hope the staff would reconsider this idea for the new smartphone.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't care about the price. Maybe it's because I just haven't purchased a cheap phone yet. In fact, I'd probably end up spending more and getting the XL (if that's what it'll be called)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks!

I hope the rumors that the phone will only be available thru Google and Verizon stores.  Especially if the price point is $650+...

Same. I was hoping for the rumors about the device being sold through the major carriers. I've been sitting on an upgrade for a while since I bought my 6P through Google. I also really hope the $650 price point isn't for the smaller of the two devices.

I'm not saying the quality might not warrant the premium price but we have gotten used to the tradition lower price the Nexii (yes, these new devices are not long part of the Nexus program).

I hope Google remembers the backlash from when they prices the N6 at 650 although I was personally okay with that since it was sold through the carriers and qualified for their promotions.

Just my opinions...

• Like 2

I know how to make Arysyn cry...

Google: “Sony Ericsson, please build the Nexus One.”

Sony Ericsson: “Nah.”

http://blog.gsmarena.com/google-asked-sony-ericsson-to-built-the-nexus-one-se-turns-them-down-preserves-their-pride/

AJ

The correct answer, of course, is the Nexus 5.  It was the best Nexus.  Groundbreaking, stylish, inexpensive, flagship caliber.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/23/13027272/best-google-nexus-phone

AJ

• Like 4

The correct answer, of course, is the Nexus 5. It was the best Nexus. Groundbreaking, stylish, inexpensive, flagship caliber.

AJ

It was one of the first triband sprint devices and it was one of the first devices with the snapdragon 800. Not to mention it was very affordable. The same storage options today are the standard for flagships in 2016... It's like Google hasn't advanced hardly at all since the 5.
  • Like 2

The correct answer, of course, is the Nexus 5.  It was the best Nexus.  Groundbreaking, stylish, inexpensive, flagship caliber.

AJ

It was one of the first triband sprint devices and it was one of the first devices with the snapdragon 800. Not to mention it was very affordable. The same storage options today are the standard for flagships in 2016... It's like Google hasn't advanced hardly at all since the 5.

Agreed. It was so incredibly groundbreaking at the time. Snapdragon 800! That was huge news! And it was only $350!

And I actually do miss the weird curved top and bottom sometimes.

Only gripe from me was battery, which the 5x has completely remedied.

• Like 1