Pixel and Pixel XL Preview (was "Fall 2016 Nexus | HTC Sailfish, Marlin Rumors")

Nrbelex

The rumor mill has fully geared up, so it seems time for a thread in which the potential HTC-made 2016 Nexus phones can be discussed.

Rumors suggest two phones: a 5" device codenamed Sailfish, and a larger device codenamed Marlin. Both are thought to be produced by HTC. [There's also a report that Google is making its own phone, without an OEM partner--along the lines of a Pixel phone--but that report has been largely discounted.]

Android Police has claimed it knows with 8/10 certainty some specs of the smaller device--Sailfish:

• Manufactured by HTC
  • 5" 1080p display (~440PPI)
  • Quad-core 2.0GHz 64-bit processor (model unknown)
  • 4GB RAM
  • 2770mAh battery
  • 32GB storage (unknown if multiple models will be available, or even if this is the base storage level)
  • 12MP rear camera, 8MP front
  • Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner
  • USB-C port (bottom)
  • Bottom-firing speaker or speakers (unknown if dual)
  • Top-mounted headphone jack
  • Bluetooth 4.2

Any thoughts on these devices? The last several Nexus devices have been Sprint compatible; is there any reason to think these won't be? Any hints in regulatory filings? How is HTC's radio performance, generally? Will Sprint sell them directly, and even if they do, will it still be preferable to buy directly from Google?

• Like 3

Also Huawei said that they are producing a 2016 Nexus as well. Many thinks it's a refreshed Nexus 6p.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

That was very likely a misinterpretation of what that representative was trying to say: http://www.xda-developers.com/hold-your-horses-huawei-nexus-rumors-may-have-been-misinterpreted/

• Like 1

That was very likely a misinterpretation of what that representative was trying to say: http://www.xda-developers.com/hold-your-horses-huawei-nexus-rumors-may-have-been-misinterpreted/

That misinterpretation is what has kept me from buying a Nexus 6p so far. I didn't want to buy the Nexus 6p and in October a new one comes out. I'll wait until I see what the new Nexus and HTC has to offer then I'll either get the 2016 device or purchase the 2015 device.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I'm really really really hoping HTC doesn't make down facing speakers for either models. I don't know why they would move away from that design... Personally, that's a make or break, I'm sure others feel differently.

• Like 1

Looks like specs for the larger device, Marlin, just leaked:

• Manufactured by HTC
  • Quad-core Qualcomm processor
  • 5.5" QHD (2560x1440) AMOLED display
  • USB-C port
  • 12MP rear camera, 8MP front
  • Rear-mounted fingerprint scanner
  • 4GB RAM
  • 3450mAh battery
  • Bottom-firing speakers
  • 32/128GB of storage
  • Bluetooth 4.2

Other interesting news:

We believe that there will only be two storage models - 32 and 128GB, with no 64GB in between them. We also believe, though are not certain, that the same will be true of Sailfish's storage configuration. We have good reason to think that Sailfish and Marlin will likely have the same cameras, RAM, and CPUs as one another. At this time, we just aren't certain what that CPU is - be it a revised Snapdragon 820, or the rumored 821 or 823. There's simply not enough for us to go on right now.

This paints a rather interesting picture: two Nexuses in two sizes, with the only real difference between the two being the size and resolution of display and battery capacity. This would align more with an iPhone / iPhone Plus sort of strategy, or if you like an Android analogy, a Sony Z and Z Compact strategy. Last year, the Nexus 5X was the clear second fiddle to the more powerful 6P.

Also: "At this time, we also believe we can confidently revise our Sailfish specifications to state that it also has an AMOLED display panel (though at 1080p resolution)."

All in all, I'm thrilled with this news. Barring some major downside (please be on Sprint), I'll definitely be ordering the sailfish device once released.

• Like 1

All in all, I'm thrilled with this news. Barring some major downside (please be on Sprint), I'll definitely be ordering the sailfish device once released.

I don't think you have to worry about it not being Sprint compatible due to Project Fi

• Like 2

I was wondering when the 2016 Nexus thread would show up. :)

Crap. I'm super happy with my 5X, but I really love HTC's industrial design. If it's jaw-droppingly gorgeous there's a teeny tiny chance I'll sell my 5X for a Sailfish. But that's very unlikely. (My 5X is in pretty much perfect condition; shoutout to my awesome Ringke case.)

Either way I'm looking forward to the release.

• Like 1

Does anyone else think 2770MAh battery is enough? They should really aim for 3K+.

They definitely need to aim as high as possible and 2770 is a bit disappointing for a 2016-17 mid-high end device, but for me personally the 2700 battery in the 5X has been more than enough.

(The only problems come from the steaming pile of battery-eating, overheating, crash-prone trash that is a certain ghost-adorned instant messaging app that's really popular in my age demographic. Not to name names or anything.)

• Like 2

Sorry but I think that render looks really bad, and I mean really really really bad.  

• Like 2

Sorry but I think that render looks really bad, and I mean really really really bad.

Historically speaking the Android news/fanclub sites have an annoying tendency to advertise fan-made artist renderings as leaked promo renderings. No idea if that's what's happening here (kinda doubt it since AP is generally pretty reputable) but it's possible.

Take off the Android screenshot and I would think its an iPhone.  I'm thinking about selling the MXPE and going for the Marlin

Historically speaking the Android news/fanclub sites have an annoying tendency to advertise fan-made artist renderings as leaked promo renderings. No idea if that's what's happening here (kinda doubt it since AP is generally pretty reputable) but it's possible.

AP made the render based on information about the devices they got from their sources.

• Like 1

AP made the render based on information about the devices they got from their sources.

Good point. I skimmed the article, but I must've missed that part. Thanks. My understanding was that they got the entire finished render from an unnamed source.

It looked familiar in some way.  I couldn't put my finger on it at first.  Then it hit me just now.  It kind of reminds me of the HTC EVO LTE.  

• Like 5

It looked familiar in some way. I couldn't put my finger on it at first. Then it hit me just now. It kind of reminds me of the HTC EVO LTE.

It's the glossy black upper back and matte lower back. That's a pretty unique design element. Maybe it's related to HTC being the rumored manufacturer of these devices?

Coincidentally was just working on an old EVO LTE that I thought I bricked a year and a half ago. I tried turning it on and it miraculously works somehow.

Edit: it would be *legendary* if this thing had a kickstand.

• Like 1

It looked familiar in some way.  I couldn't put my finger on it at first.  Then it hit me just now.  It kind of reminds me of the HTC EVO LTE.

Lol, it sure does.

No joke!

291vwNO.png

• Like 2

No joke!

291vwNO.png

What a piece of junk that phone was, my buddy had one, bleh!

• Like 1