Certain Phones Won't Work after 7/1/16?

Hammondsport is not affected by these changes. 

If I understand this correctly, the phone may work in Hammondsport now and in the future, but if he travels to another area it might not work. Am I wrong on that?

If I understand this correctly, the phone may work in Hammondsport now and in the future, but if he travels to another area it might not work. Am I wrong on that?

You are correct. Just may not work in the areas outlined on map. Keep prl updated if possible.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Almost everything done with the eNB are software configurations that are pushed out remotely. 

The T-mobile and Verizon swap deals are still pending in the FCC. 

See here for the ATT / SPR markets that will be the first ones to swap. 

Will any of these markets get wideband LTE after the swaps are complete?

That's the whole point!

Sent from my LG G4

I would not call it wideband. More like putting Sprint on even ground with other carriers having at least a 10x10

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I would not call it wideband. More like putting Sprint on even ground with other carriers having at least a 10x10

No, Tim just meant wider channels. I understood what he was asking. Just wider channels, 10x10 or eventually the possibility of 15x15.  (It is known that "wideband LTE" is just a marketing term and doesn't actually mean anything).

• Like 2

No, Tim just meant wider channels. I understood what he was asking. Just wider channels, 10x10 or eventually the possibility of 15x15. (It is known that "wideband LTE" is just a marketing term and doesn't actually mean anything).

It's actually implied to be 15/20 MHz FDD LTE to be called wideband at least by tmobile.

The only wideband b25 markets are Chicago and Columbus Ohio with 10x10 +5x5 PCS carriers (10+5).

Sent from my Nexus 5X

• Like 1

It's actually implied to be 15/20 MHz FDD LTE to be called wideband at least by tmobile.

The only wideband b25 markets are Chicago and Columbus Ohio with 10x10 +5x5 PCS carriers (10+5).

Sent from my Nexus 5X

Any other markets in a position for wideband in the future?

Yes, plus you have a number with 10x10 or b25 second carrier. It is really done a county by county basis. Obviously you want a sizable group of counties with enough contiguous bandwidth.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Any markets with at least 40 MHz total of PCS preferably contiguous but this entails shutting down CDMA down to 3x 1.25 MHz carriers + guardbands in 10 MHz of PCS spectrum. 

This is a bit further away until Sprint can densify its network and bring more LTE as a base level coverage. Shut down CDMA EVDO 3G too early and it's Ok to abysmal performance on the few remaining carriers may collapse since there won't be LTE coverage to cover the areas where EVDO demand is high and where spectrum was refarmed from. 

Sent from my Nexus 5X

It's only really called wideband if it allows for speeds of 100mbps+. 10x10 can't do that.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Sent from my Nexus 5X

It's also that way with vzw. Where vzw has it which they call XLTE is 15x15 and some 20x20. That's on band 4. Vzw does have some cities with 15x15 band 2. att also has 15x15 band 2 in select places like California.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Very old feature phones. 

How about the Katana II, or Diamond or HTC TP2?

How about Syracuse, NY and surrounding areas? The maps is too small to resolve around Upstate, NY...

Edited by monkeyboy

There is no such as wideband or xlte they are both purely marketing terms used to make companies LTE networks look better than others.

there is no such thing as lte plus either. Either way it is no secret that Sprint needs more FDD spectrum and I'm glad they are doing something about it.

Any markets with at least 40 MHz total of PCS preferably contiguous but this entails shutting down CDMA down to 3x 1.25 MHz carriers + guardbands in 10 MHz of PCS spectrum. 

This is a bit further away until Sprint can densify its network and bring more LTE as a base level coverage. Shut down CDMA EVDO 3G too early and it's Ok to abysmal performance on the few remaining carriers may collapse since there won't be LTE coverage to cover the areas where EVDO demand is high and where spectrum was refarmed from. 

Looks like it's happening sooner than expected. Baton Rouge went live today with 2C B25, and there certainly hasn't been any densification effort there.

• Like 2

Looks like it's happening sooner than expected. Baton Rouge went live today with 2C B25, and there certainly hasn't been any densification effort there.

That's good news. Joins Cincinatti / Dayton as a 20 MHz PCS A-F market with only 3 CDMA carriers left over after LTE refarming. 

That's good news. Joins Cincinatti / Dayton as a 20 MHz PCS A-F market with only 3 CDMA carriers left over after LTE refarming.

I hope this is only happening in small-medium markets. I can't imagine Sprint doing this for cities such as San Francisco or Houston. Too many users to risk call reliability.

God forbid a hurricane rolls into the BR area. Because if it does, Sprint may regret refarming those CDMA carriers.

It's really good they're getting aggressive with that. And it makes sense.

A network vision site without high capacity magic/RF combiners can only handle 4ish PCS CDMA carriers depending on vendor, right? The only places where having 10+ CDMA carriers spread over 15+ MHz FDD makes sense is in city cores where you can have, say, one site with CDMA on channels 225, 250, and 275, another site with CDMA on channels 300, 325, 350, and 375, and another site with channels 725, 750, and 775 within a few blocks of each other without interference. (That's more or less how it is in uptown Charlotte.) Where I'm at, about 2/3rds of those carriers are EVDO.

But in hyper-dense environments like that where density is so great that some sites have 800 disabled, you're gonna be on LTE pretty much all the time anyway. And you'd be on LTE even more with a 10x10 that has better edge cell and interference performance than a 5x5. So it makes sense that they'd refarm three or four (depending on contiguity) EVDO carriers for LTE.

Because in the rest of a market, sites are far enough apart that you can have all of them pretty much broadcasting the same three or four CDMA carriers. So you've got almost 10Mhz FDD sitting unused over large portions of the market if it's 15 FDD A-F. (It's already like that in Charlotte.)

This should be pretty easy in a 15 MHz A-F market provided adequate density in the center-city, and it appears it can be done in a 10 MHz market too given the right conditions.

Of course this is all armchair conjecture, but it all feels right to me. I hope now that most markets are 95+% LTE complete Sprint looks at their options for refarming like this.

Actually, four CDMA2000 carriers and one 5 MHz FDD carrier could fit within a PCS A-F block 10 MHz FDD (20 MHz) contiguous spectrum market.  LTE already has built in internal guard bands, so Sprint needs to trim down the unnecessarily large 0.625 MHz external guard bands for CDMA2000.  See the math:

4(1.25) + 1(4.5) = 9.5

That still leaves 0.5 MHz for guard bands against the adjacent licenses and between CDMA2000 and LTE.

AJ

Actually, four CDMA2000 carriers and one 5 MHz FDD carrier could fit within a PCS A-F block 10 MHz FDD (20 MHz) contiguous spectrum market.  LTE already has built in internal guard bands, so Sprint needs to trim down the unnecessarily large 0.625 MHz external guard bands for CDMA2000.  See the math:

4(1.25) + 1(4.5) = 9.5

That still leaves 0.5 MHz for guard bands against the adjacent licenses and between CDMA2000 and LTE.

AJ

Unfortunately they went with EARFCN 8109 for the whole market.

I hope this is only happening in small-medium markets. I can't imagine Sprint doing this for cities such as San Francisco or Houston. Too many users to risk call reliability.

God forbid a hurricane rolls into the BR area. Because if it does, Sprint may regret refarming those CDMA carriers.

Funny you should mention that, because everybody flocked to Nextel when Katrina hit and took out all the other networks.