Will Apple add LTE to the iPhone this year? And will Sprint get it?

legion125

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 8 January 2012

Just to broaden our Android horizons here. Will Sprint work with Apple to have all it's LTE frequencies added to an LTE iPhone if it comes out this year which would future proof the phone, or will it be done in incremental stages and later models as its been discussed in other discussions since Sprint won't have all its frequencies in play until Clear begins to deploy its LTE. IMO, regardless of the OEM, I would have it done up front, so as the additional frequencies phones become available the following year, the phone is ready for it. Although this article mentions AT&T and Verizon since their networks are closer to completion, Sprint should show some foresight and make this transition as easy as possible. What does everyone think?

Apple is reportedly adding 4G LTE to its iPhone 5 and iPad 3, as the company looks to level the playing field with Android devices.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company’s CEO, Tim Cook, met with executives at NTT DoCoMo, a Japanese wireless carrier, to talk about when the devices will be available, according to Nikkei Business. The iPad 3 will reportedly hit the carrier in the summer, with the iPhone 5 following it in the fall.

Apple continued its tablets’ early spring release schedule in the U.S. with the iPad 2 this year, and Japan got the device six weeks later. The current reports about the release of the iPad 3 would follow this same model, and analysts believe the iPhone 5 would come next fall, following the shifted release of the iPhone 4S from June to October.

Many consumers were disappointed by the lack of LTE support in the 4S when it launched earlier this year, after several Android devices capable of the 4G speeds had already been released.

Some customers may be upset they can’t purchase an LTE-capable Apple device, but it’s hard to argue the company has made a mistake. The iPhone 4Sis selling at a higher rate than any of its predecessors, and the iPad has continued to power Apple to the top of the list in tablet market share.

Meanwhile, early LTE smartphones have proven to have poor battery life, a bulky design, or both. Apple likely bypassed LTE with its fifth-generation iPhone, choosing instead to put a premium on a slick design and strong battery performance, which has paid off in sales.

Waiting for next year to add LTE capabilities to its devices makes sense for the company. The evolving technology will make it easier and cheaper for the company to incorporate LTE chips in their devices without compromising its designs or the efficiency of its batteries. In addition, Verizon’s LTE network will be serving even more of the country, and AT&T will be at the height of its LTE rollout.

Next year may be the perfect time for Apple to add LTE capabilities to its iPhone and iPad devices, but if it doesn’t, the company will run the risk of truly falling behind the pack.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 8 January 2012

Right now I have to think this is all speculation. I mean, it is possible that they will, but I HIGHLY doubt they will support all frequencies. One of the carriers will at least get a temporary exclusivity deal and will get the iPhone 5 LTE while the rest just get the iPhone 5. Overall the carrier that can work that deal out will rake in the customers, but I do not think we will see this until at least the back half of 2012 if not at the very end of Q3 2012.

Migrated from Original Forum. Originally Posted 9 January 2012

I think Apple will try to support as much as it can with it's initial LTE devise(s). It likes to have a device that is all things to all people, to sell as many devices as possible. But it also likes its Nazi like control scheme and organization, and picking winners and losers. It will be interesting to see it play out. But for Sprint, they MUST find a way to make sure they are on the first wave of LTE devices with Apple. Otherwise, they will never meet their Apple sales obligations and the brand will get tarnished.

I think now that Sprint has released info on the GN and Viper, Apple may be feeling some angst over being left out and this may light a fire under them to get a useable LTE phone out on the next iPhone for Sprint. Although your right. This is Apple and they could have already decided what frequencies they will support this year and add others for the 2013 version.

Apple is so pig-headed and think that everyone needs to adapt to them. That's just my thoughts.