Sprint iPad

BenChase7

I would be happy to see US Carrier #3 carry the iPad as well. I was quite surprised that it wasn't announced at the big iPad event this year. Hopefully Sprint will carry it by fall when the LTE iPhone comes to town.

Not to mention, this is an old article, and therefore, probably irrelevant. I didn't realize that until after I posted. My sincere apologies.

It's ok. Sometimes old news can be relevant when we least expect it.

• Like 1

However, Im still curious if there will be an iPad that runs exclusively on Sprints network. There are rumors out there... such as photos of a Sprint new iPad in BestBuy's system.

• 2 months later...
it still boggles my mind one would contract themselves a tablet.....

They get drawn in by the subsidized price of the tablet. And if they are going to keep service on it for the entire length of the contract, why not? It saves some cash. There is no reduced monthly cost for an unsubsidized device.

• Like 1

Not everyone goes on-contract for tablet 3G/4G. The iPad actually does not get sold on a contract...you just buy a month of data when you need it, at the amount you need. The data pack does auto-renew, but you can turn it off with no penalty.

That said, the iPad is far from subsidized...it's $130 more for the 4G version than for the 3G one!

Sent from my Galaxy SIII-32GB using Forum Runner

• Like 1

I'd rather buy a wifi version and just get a hotspot add on for my smart phone and come out much cheaper.

This is exactly what I would do, too!.. IMO, the benefit of this is that it allows you to share the data connection with any other devices you would like.

This is exactly what I would do, too!.. IMO, the benefit of this is that it allows you to share the data connection with any other devices you would like.

The VZW iPad allows tethering with it as the host. Wired or wireless...and it works really wlel. So you can go both ways.

As Sprint LTE coverage expands, I may stop paying for mobile broadband on anyone other than Sprint (T-Mobile aircard, Verizon iPad) and just tether my S3, but on the other hand I like having the ability to pick the best 3G/4G network in my area (sans AT&T), even if it does cost me an arm and a leg per month to do so :P

• 2 weeks later...

However, Im still curious if there will be an iPad that runs exclusively on Sprints network. There are rumors out there... such as photos of a Sprint new iPad in BestBuy's system.

it was "exclusively" because it would require it to use WiMax given the big feature of the New iPad was "4G" -- both parties figured out that didnt make sense. Besides, over 80% of iPad sales are WiFi only -- this may start to change as VZW and T introduce plans with shared bucket bundles to share among multiple devices.

Sprint really doesn't actively promote tablets (and they are very data consumptive so the "truly unlimited" plans are not applicable to tablets), but maybe that changes once its LTE network is up and running. Frankly it may be a better deal to enable the hot spot feature on your Sprint smartphone and then connect your tablet via WiFi tethering to your smartphone (which I did for awhile with my Epic using WiMax, but then I realized that I really did not use my tablet away from the home, or away from any other WiFi accessible area, to justify the additional $30 per month).

• 5 weeks later...

FYI: Dan basically hinted that Sprint would carry the iPad during a press Q&A. He said something like "I'm not going to answer that, but that's a good question".

I suspect it was the LTE issue, otherwise it complicates the marketing message.

• 1 month later...

I'd rather buy a wifi version and just get a hotspot add on for my smart phone and come out much cheaper.

I have the iPad 2 on Verizon, and if you can spend the extra money the 3G version is worth it. There's no contract or fees so you can turn it on when needed (perfect for road trips), and the 3G version is the only one that includes a GPS chip.

As an LTE iPad owner (VZW), I can actually tether in the opposite direction (iPad as a modem or WiFI hotspot), which has been handy on trips over the last several months. I can also scale my data plan up or down, or even turn it off entirely, as needed. I can also do this with Sprint's tethering add-on, but that's not very helpful until I have LTE on Sprint everywhere I travel (I have it most places on Verizon).