Android N - Potential Names and Feature Wishes

Arysyn

I've read online today about the potential name of Android N possibly being Nutella. While I'm not sure about that, I figured it might be interesting to have a thread here to discuss naming ideas, along with features which S4GRU members wish for this new Android operating system to have.

My thought is that the name very well could be Nestle Crunch. Also, I think there ought to be tighter control Google has over updates built into this, which I'm sure would make many Android users happy.

• Like 1

How 'bout Nacho Cheese? Lol

But in all seriousness, Nectarine would sound kind of cool?! Nectar for short?

• Like 1

1. I'd REALLY like to get separate ringtone and notification levels back!  Mashing them together does not work well for me.

2. Also, I use Automate, which uses location a la Tasker.  In settings, we have to uncheck the use of Google Play Services location API due to some (unreasonable, according to the dev) limit on geofences:

https://github.com/googlesamples/android-play-location/issues/33

My guess is Nutella with the hint they dropped.

The hint is actually why I don't think it'll be Nutella. They usually wouldn't give that big of a hint this soon before the release of the OS. I think it's a misdirection.

Before the release of Android 4.4, Google was dropping hints it would be called Key Lime Pie, but it was eventually released as KitKat.

The codename Google is using internally for Android N is New York Cheesecake, which likely won't be the final name if history is any indication -- the last three codesnames were Key Lime Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie and Macadamia Nut Cookie.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/15/google-is-calling-android-n-new-york-cheesecake-nyc-internally/

• Like 1

The codename Google is using internally for Android N is New York Cheesecake, which likely won't be the final name if history is any indication -- the last three codesnames were Key Lime Pie, Lemon Meringue Pie and Macadamia Nut Cookie.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/03/15/google-is-calling-android-n-new-york-cheesecake-nyc-internally/

I doubt that will be the final name either, as it sounds more like it is representing New York, rather than a dessert/candy/food product.

I'm still thinking it has a good chance to be Nestle Crunch, though my only doubt regarding that name is the N representing a company, rather than the brand of candy, unlike KitKat.

However, I hope Google doesn't choose Nutella or anything containing the word "Nut" or refers to anything containing nuts, such as "Nougat", as there are many people who have allergies to nuts, which may put off some people from purchasing Android-based products. Not that it really ought to matter, but I can imagine this may very well be a real concern for marketing people at Google. 

Arysyn, on 16 Mar 2016 - 8:21 PM, said:

However, I hope Google doesn't choose Nutella or anything containing the word "Nut" or refers to anything containing nuts, such as "Nougat", as there are many people who have allergies to nuts, which may put off some people from purchasing Android-based products. Not that it really ought to matter, but I can imagine this may very well be a real concern for marketing people at Google.

Outside of Italy, I think most people associate "nougat" with the weird spongy stuff in a "3 Musketeers" bar, or in what Americans call a "Milky Way" bar (and what the rest of the world calls a "Mars" bar). It has nothing to do with nuts.

Also, I think there are more diabetics out there than people with serious nut allergies, and that hasn't hurt the marketing yet. Not to mention the 60% of the world's adult population that are lactose intolerant and couldn't have eaten an Ice Cream Sandwich.

• Like 2

Outside of Italy, I think most people associate "nougat" with the weird spongy stuff in a "3 Musketeers" bar, or in what Americans call a "Milky Way" bar (and what the rest of the world calls a "Mars" bar). It has nothing to do with nuts.

Also, I think there are more diabetics out there than people with serious nut allergies, and that hasn't hurt the marketing yet. Not to mention the 60% of the world's adult population that are lactose intolerant and couldn't have eaten an Ice Cream Sandwich.

While I agree with you, I've heard of some pretty strange excuses for how/why certain names affect marketing. It really shouldn't, but that is what I've heard about in certain cases. I'll try finding an example of this to post here soon, once I get my cell phone situation resolved In a few days.

While I agree with you, I've heard of some pretty strange excuses for how/why certain names affect marketing. It really shouldn't, but that is what I've heard about in certain cases. I'll try finding an example of this to post here soon, once I get my cell phone situation resolved In a few days.

i have the nexus 5x and have the android n preview its quite quick and it really has better notifications and the speed is better and does has been improved alot ! but also battery life is alot better the only annoying thing is that when replying to a text notification when you send it ...it closes out the application your in...very annoying.and it also takes away root!

• Like 1

i have the nexus 5x and have the android n preview its quite quick and it really has better notifications and the speed is better and does has been improved alot ! but also battery life is alot better the only annoying thing is that when replying to a text notification when you send it ...it closes out the application your in...very annoying.and it also takes away root!

I've heard the notifications fill up the entire width of the notification bar on the display, which I definitely like the sound of. I'm surprised however about what you mentioned regarding root. One of the things I've heard from people complaining about the T-Mobile/Samsung S7 locked bootloader issue, is that Google is supportive of rooting. It sure doesn't seem that way if Google is taking it away.

I've heard the notifications fill up the entire width of the notification bar on the display, which I definitely like the sound of. I'm surprised however about what you mentioned regarding root. One of the things I've heard from people complaining about the T-Mobile/Samsung S7 locked bootloader issue, is that Google is supportive of rooting. It sure doesn't seem that way if Google is taking it away.

That's a Samsung issue and remember when you update they patch root exploits and the Nexus phones have their bootloaders easily unlocked due to Google making it easy for Nexus owners to do it and you have to remember that Nexus phones are purchased from Google not a carrier so it isn't subject to the same carrier crap that other phones are subject to

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...