Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge User Thread

SturgeonGeneral

You can enable Adopted Storage via ADB!

Obviously you'd want a fast Samsung Pro+ card supporting 90 MB/sec read AND write.

http://www.modaco.com/news/android/heres-how-to-configure-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/

You can also partition the card so that part of it is readable in a standard computer (you'd obviously want to turn off the phone before removing the card).  Store pictures on half and use the other half for extra App space.

32GB is plenty for me for now (though my 16GB on my S5 was limiting), but it's nice to have in reserve.

My sandisk 200gb card is no slouch.  I transferred 3.5gig of work notes yesterday in less than 1/3 the time it used to take.

What used to take almost an hour was just over 15 minutes.  I don't know if it is the phone, the card, or both.  Same old pc and cable.

• Like 1

My sandisk 200gb card is no slouch.  I transferred 3.5gig of work notes yesterday in less than 1/3 the time it used to take.

What used to take almost an hour was just over 15 minutes.  I don't know if it is the phone, the card, or both.  Same old pc and cable.

That's not bad for a 200GB card.  Generally, as the microSDXC cards get bigger they get slower.

3.5 GB in 15 minutes is about 5 MB/sec write speed.  Pretty decent for a larger card (and smaller files are generally slower).

My 64GB Samsung EVO+ card benchmarks at 23 MB/sec write (65 MB/sec read).

For comparison the UFS 2.0 internal NAND is 110 MB/sec write (300 MB/sec read).

You can use this to benchmark your SD card (it will not delete your data, it benchmarks the free space):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a1dev.sdbench

I'd recommend you at least benchmark it.  If you use SD for android apps, and the read/write is dramatically different, you might introduce lag in your device.

The 128GB Samsung PRO+ 90/90 card is $89.  I'll probably pick one up in 6 months when it's below $50 when I'll need Adopted Storage.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MB-MD128DA/AM

Edited by jnadke

I have the same card, I just may try this Adopted Storage procedure later tonight.

TS

I probably would not do it until you need it.

Currently there's no published way to undo the process other than Factory Reset.  I'm sure someone will figure it out.

That mixed with what I said above, you might unintentionally slow down your device.

Edited by jnadke

The Gear VR games dropped.

After you plug your phone in and trigger the Gear VR installation (which you then have to remove your phone from the Gear VR, grrrrr....), your games should show up in My Library in the Oculus Rift Store (I had my Oculus Store set up on Monday, they just added today).

The Sprint games are:

-Eve: Gunjack

-Esper 2

-Herobound:  Spirit Champion

-Dead Secret

-Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

-Star Chart (under Experiences)

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 2

The Sprint games are:

-Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

That seems like a game the women in my life would be naturally good at...especially my 5 year old

That seems like a game the women in my life would be naturally good at...especially my 5 year old

It's actually a party game.

There's a bomb that has puzzles. You print out pieces of paper that have the puzzle solution.

One person describes what they see, and the other people tell them the solution to the puzzle.

Edited by jnadke

Got to say, the battery life is amazing on this thing.

I concur.

Several are good, I would recommend the spigen crystal curve screen protector but beware, if you are using one of those slim low profile cases, they tend to cause the edge part of the protector to peel off which can be very annoying.  But I did have great success with the spigen, thats what I have on my s6edge right now and never had an issue with it.

I tried finding that on Amazon and didn't see it. Only on the Spigen site.

You can use this to benchmark your SD card (it will not delete your data, it benchmarks the free space):

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.a1dev.sdbench

I'd recommend you at least benchmark it.  If you use SD for android apps, and the read/write is dramatically different, you might introduce lag in your device.

The 128GB Samsung PRO+ 90/90 card is $89.  I'll probably pick one up in 6 months when it's below $50 when I'll need Adopted Storage.

http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MB-MD128DA/AM

Downloaded and tested the 200GB Samsung card. Got it for $79.99 the other day.

As for the benchmarks, here is what it shows for mine.

Screenshot_20160310-SDCardResults.png

I probably would not do it until you need it.

Looking at the results, yeah it is way slower than internal, but duh, I knew that would be the case. So yeah, I'll probably do it when I need it in the future. Good to know that the procedure created by Paul is available.

TS

Someone on the reddit thread this popped up claimed you won't be eligible for the $30 if you do the wireless charger after asking Samsung customer support.

But we all know how right customer support can sometimes be.

Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/gift-card/terms-and-conditions/index.html

The wireless charger promo gives you a direct coupon code for Samsung.com. So you can order it for 1-3 day free shipping as opposed to the past promos that didn't show up for 4-6 weeks.

If you got the Wireless Charger promo, I just double-dipped and got the $30 gift card with my first transaction on the card I added to get the Wireless Charger.

Now to decide eBay or Best Buy.

edit:  Went with eBay, I buy crap there all the time, Best Buy sux.

Edited by jnadke

If you got the Wireless Charger promo, I just double-dipped and got the $30 gift card with my first transaction on the card I added to get the Wireless Charger.

Now to decide eBay or Best Buy.

edit:  Went with eBay, I buy crap there all the time, Best Buy sux.

I procrastinated too long and missed the charger deal.

I agree. Like $100 Samsung coupons, Best Buy coupons, $50 off your bill, etc...

I would hold off on the wireless charger promo. Samsung pay has had better and I guarantee there will be better ones.

I agree. Like $100 Samsung coupons, Best Buy coupons, $50 off your bill, etc...

Those were past deals.

The deals have gotten worse over time.  There's no guarantee the deals will be as good as they were in the past.

Anyway, the comment is irrelevant since the Wireless Charger deal expired on Tuesday.

Edited by jnadke

Yes they were. When the Note 5 came out, they had wireless charger promo first, then later on the coupon offers came out.

Used Samsung Pay tonight on my S7E & I got the $30 giftcard sent to the Samsung Pay app pretty much instantly. What a pleasant change from last year's promo where it took Samsung & PrizeLogic 5 months to send me my $50 Best Buy giftcard.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Any regrets getting the S7 Edge over the regular S7? I have an S5 now so I suspect the strange wrap around edges will take a little getting used to.

I've been using Edge phones since the S6E from April last year and never had edge detection issues like some people report. I guess you gotta try using it yourself to really find out. I feel that I can't go back to using regular flat phones anymore b/c they look so plain & boring to me.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Since the s7 thread is locked, I'm assuming this is the one to use?

I've had my s7 for a day and a half so far. Got 4:30 SOT today while using it more heavily than normal. Only quirk I noticed is it has been hesitant to lock onto CA. I've been around CA enabled towers all day but only saw it actually connected once. Performance has been very good though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Any regrets getting the S7 Edge over the regular S7? I have an S5 now so I suspect the strange wrap around edges will take a little getting used to.

If it helps, the S7 Edge is the same physical dimensions as the S5.

You're getting more screen for the same width.

If you've never been comfortable holding the S5, then yeah, maybe you downgrade.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 1

I've had my GS7E since Monday & at first, I wasn't too impressed with the battery life. Starting from Friday, however, it has gotten better. However, Android system was taking up too much battery life still. So I turned off sync and my battery life immediately improved & Android System began eating less battery than the screen.

Today, with 52%left, I achieved ~3 hrs SOT.

My setup (~150 apps installed):

WiFi = always on

Data = always on

GPS = always on, GPS only

Bluetooth = always on, connected to either my Gear S2 or Plantronic headset

NFC = always on

Screen brightness = auto

Sync = off, except for when charging and when using Keep

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Since the s7 thread is locked, I'm assuming this is the one to use?

I've had my s7 for a day and a half so far. Got 4:30 SOT today while using it more heavily than normal. Only quirk I noticed is it has been hesitant to lock onto CA. I've been around CA enabled towers all day but only saw it actually connected once. Performance has been very good though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

My suggestion to the staff is to rename the thread Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge user thread, to keep from any confusion this thread is only for the Edge version.

• Like 1

My suggestion to the staff is to rename the thread Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge user thread, to keep from any confusion this thread is only for the Edge version.

If I wanted a generic s7 thread, I'd have created one. If you want one, go create it. I already explained once. Cases are different, edge panels and the software that drives them are different and battery life is potentially different.

The vast majority of the posts here are edge specific under one of those three categories.

Anyone that wants generic info can watch both threads. I didn't want to go slogging through nonspecific posts and the attendant spam of "which phone do you mean?" posts.

I also don't want to keep responding to "change the name" requests. Go make your thread and leave this one be.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1