Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge User Thread

SturgeonGeneral

Being a Sprint model, I can confirm the device does have FM RADIO support (GSM Arena omits this).

Also, all the Sprint bloat (except Voicemail) is fully uninstallable.

It was frustrating if anything since Sprint ID failed to install everything on first setup and it didn't finally install it all until today.  I uninstalled it immediately.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 3

Well I can officially post as a S7 Edge user in here now since the devices got dropped off to me at lunch time. 

Like I mentioned in the other (rumor) thread, the S7 Edge is pretty nice looking. Nothing in the videos or pics can illustrate how nice looking it really does look in person. Light, slender but also slippery. Can't wait to start playing with it fully tonight.

TS

• Like 1

P=VI

The wireless fast charger(Must say fast charger on it) is 9V and 1.67 Amp so that is close to 15 watts. The S7 edge battery is 13.86 Watts so almost an hour to charge from zero. Many plugs are 5V 2A meaning 10 Watts and some are only 1A meaning still slower recharge to almost 3 hours with a 5V 1A plug.

The real question is do you want to use fast charge all the time? Some say it kills the battery total life faster.

So I assume that the recommendation is to run it all day if life allows without charging and slow charge it overnight.

I have a charge monitor app on the GS4 that gives me charge rate information.

I get indication of 1200ma on the old style white cord plugged into the wall

~820ma on the truck cable as I recall via a lighter to usb adapter

460ma on the pc charge cable

It'll be one of the apps I migrate and we'll see what it reports on the GS7.

The big problem currently is that I generally run the phone hard and charge it at the same time in vehicle or at home during the day.  Most of the work day and late overnight is when it is most idle.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.abmantis.galaxychargingcurrent

The life of the battery depends on how long you plan on keeping your device. If it is 2+ years you may want to slow charge it. I am a heavy user and my note 4 I got an extra battery and I used to have to change it every 4 hours and when I stayed at home it would last upto 2 days. I plan on upgrading every year so for me I don't care about the battery I should not have to replace it.

Smart switch was pretty easy to use it transferred most of my apps I still had to set them up and I still have to tinker with them.

• Like 1

Not bad at all, my s7 edges shipped out last night at 9pm, now here I am less than 24 hours later with both my s7 edge in silver and my gear vr. UPS didn't waste anytime getting this to me while I am in the Virgin Islads, not bad at all. Oh....and for those who are unsure about what color to get, the silver looks absolutely fantastic.

Edit: Now the gold looks fantastic as well, that the color my wife wanted but I really like the silver being that I already had the gold in the s6 edge.

• Like 2

It looks like the new Samsung Pay promo will be $30 for Galaxy S7 / Edge users when you make your first purchase after 3/11.

Current promo is Free Wireless Charger when you sign up and link a card.

Looks like you can double-dip (link a card now and then do your first purchase after 3/11).  Do it now!  So you can get a Free Wireless Charger and a $30 gift card for a free case!

Makes me feel a little better about passing up the $100 gift card for Target/Sams Club.

Details:

http://www.tmonews.com/2016/03/new-samsung-pay-users-can-now-score-a-free-wireless-charging-pad/  - Instructions on how to get the wireless charger

http://imgur.com/nJaQFYg

I'd prefer the Fast Wireless Charger, but hey, a wireless charger is one I don't have to buy (will be great for travel since I have a Moto 360).

My Samsung Pay was getting stuck on the set-up for Verification Method PIN/Fingerprint.  I had to uninstall the updates and re-install and then it worked.  I think when I first set up the phone Samsung Store notified me of a Samsung Pay update and I installed it.  That might have broke it.  Just my experience in case someone has the same issue.  Uninstall the update and re-install through Samsung Pay.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 3

It looks like the new Samsung Pay promo will be $30 for Galaxy S7 / Edge users when you make your first purchase after 3/11.

Current promo is Free Wireless Charger when you sign up and link a card.

Looks like you can double-dip (link a card now and then do your first purchase after 3/11). Do it now! So you can get a Free Wireless Charger and a $30 gift card for a free case!

Makes me feel a little better about passing up the $100 gift card for Target/Sams Club.

Details:

http://www.tmonews.com/2016/03/new-samsung-pay-users-can-now-score-a-free-wireless-charging-pad/ - Instructions on how to get the wireless charger

http://imgur.com/nJaQFYg

I'd prefer the Fast Wireless Charger, but hey, a wireless charger is one I don't have to buy (will be great for travel since I have a Moto 360).

My Samsung Pay was getting stuck on the set-up for Verification Method PIN/Fingerprint. I had to uninstall the updates and re-install and then it worked. I think when I first set up the phone Samsung Store notified me of a Samsung Pay update and I installed it. That might have broke it. Just my experience in case someone has the same issue. Uninstall the update and re-install through Samsung Pay.

Someone on the reddit thread this popped up claimed you won't be eligible for the $30 if you do the wireless charger after asking Samsung customer support.

But we all know how right customer support can sometimes be.

Proceed at your own risk.

http://www.samsung.com/us/samsung-pay/gift-card/terms-and-conditions/index.html

The wireless charger promo gives you a direct coupon code for Samsung.com. So you can order it for 1-3 day free shipping as opposed to the past promos that didn't show up for 4-6 weeks.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 1

I posted this question a moment ago over in the other thread, then realized I ought to have posted it here instead. Does those who've got the device think well of the display? All the photos I've seen of the display turned on look pretty much surreal to me, very vivid, great looking display.

I'm hoping the improvements to the LG G5's screen turn out looking at least almost as good, but I'm not sure how it will, based on what I've seen of the Samsung Galaxy S7 looking as good as it does. Then again, I'm also considering the Oppo R9 Plus.

I posted this question a moment ago over in the other thread, then realized I ought to have posted it here instead. Does those who've got the device think well of the display? All the photos I've seen of the display turned on look pretty much surreal to me, very vivid, great looking display.

I'm hoping the improvements to the LG G5's screen turn out looking at least almost as good, but I'm not sure how it will, based on what I've seen of the Samsung Galaxy S7 looking as good as it does. Then again, I'm also considering the Oppo R9 Plus.

The displays are virtually laminated to the glass, so it comes out looking more like paper.  It's beautiful.

I really can't go back to LCD displays.  The internal air gaps end up refracting and reflecting light and just make everything look fake.  Even with IPS.

It sounds like Samsung is warming up to selling its displays after letting Huawei use it on the Nexus 6p (that and they have competition with LG starting to develop flexible OLED displays).

Rumor is the HTC 10 will use Samsung OLED.  Then there's the other phones that have been announced with edge displays.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 2

The displays are virtually laminated to the glass, so it comes out looking more like paper.  It's beautiful.

I really can't go back to LCD displays.  The internal air gaps end up refracting and reflecting light and just make everything look fake.  Even with IPS.

It sounds like Samsung is warming up to selling its displays after letting Huawei use it on the Nexus 6p (that and they have competition with LG starting to develop flexible OLED displays).

Rumor is the HTC 10 will use Samsung OLED.  Then there's the other phones that have been announced with edge displays.

I agree with you completely on the OLED tech. I'm dreading the LCD on the LG G5, meanwhile hoping LG has made significant enough of an upgrade to its Quantum display technology to make it bearable. The main focus of the device, for me at least, is going to be the incredible audio experience. I'm going to have it on Jump On Demand, so that even if the display turns out to be a letdown compared to AMOLED again, I can upgrade later in the year when either LG decides to use an OLED on their V10 successor, or possibly upgrade to the Note 6, just as long as the audio quality features are there.

I've heard the Note 6 may be going back to using an RGB non-pentile variety of AMOLED, which I can only imagine how incredible that will look, especially since I'm already very impressed by the images I've seen online of the Galaxy S7's display, along with my experience using the Microsoft Lumia 950xl. Although, I don't like the default settings on it which give a yellowish-greenish tint, the device has a customizable display calibration settings section, in which I adjusted the display to my liking, making it vivid, cool, and blue/purple - ish.

Just got my s7 does any one have worst signal. I used to get band 41 at work and now no go. Speeds seem slower .. any ideas ?

Edit just did a PRL update and now im getting 41.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just got my s7 does any one have worst signal. I used to get band 41 at work and now no go. Speeds seem slower .. any ideas ?

Edit just did a PRL update and now im getting 41.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

I'm glad you got it working! While I don't have Sprint anymore, I use to love the speeds I'd get on band 41, and would be really upset if I had any issue connecting to it. The Kyocera I had seemed to love connecting to PCS, rarely connected to band 41, which at that time connecting to PCS was a miserable experience. Thank goodness PCS has improved since then though, at least from what I've heard it has due to the increase in PCS spectrum. Still though, I'd prefer band 41, and can understand your frustration having not been able to connect to it. Again, I'm glad you got it resolved.

RF performance appears to be nearly identical if not just a hair better compared to the GS4T for my testing so far on signal and speeds.

We'll see how it does out in the boonies this weekend.

I have so much stuff running, I took the battery down to 30% in 5 hours last night during the install and migration.

Took it down to 80% this morning and charged it up on a 400ma usb connection into a PC while I backed up notes.

With screen on during the transfer it couldn't keep up, screen off (always on mode) and idle, it did manage to charge it back up.

I'm in performance mode and not in any battery saving modes.

I'll run the CPUZ posts tonight and submit them to PDADB for addition to their database.

I did notice at least one of the sensors omitted compared to the GS4.  Humidity.

Kinda tough to measure with a sealed case.  Gained a heart rate sensor.

GRRR. Just restarted my phone to see if I could get a SCP database import to work and sprint puked up bloat icons all over my desktop. Shifted my home window from center to the left most position.

0 0 0 x 0 0 0 became x 0 0 0 0 0 0

From the create a desktop page you can drag entire pages like icons and folders to restore positions.

"App spotlight" - yeah right. Unwanted garbage.

Does anyone know how to set desktop pages to carousel in a full circle or can I only go left-right and not completely around now?

GS4 would wrap around and take you in a full circle of desktop pages when you kept sweeping either left-right.

Is there a way to restore the left button to context menu instead of app list?

cmon vendors -

Send me an email or a link to a website and convince me to install them myself, don't jam them into my phone AFTER I went through all that setup effort.

Every vendor keeps forgetting. This is MY phone, not yours, and I should be making the choices.

Sprint, Samsung, and every other goofball that gets their hooks.

I ordered mine Tuesday night and being delivered tomorrow (Friday) from Sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Cool, what color did you get?

You can enable Adopted Storage via ADB!

Obviously you'd want a fast Samsung Pro+ card supporting 90 MB/sec read AND write.

http://www.modaco.com/news/android/heres-how-to-configure-adoptable-storage-on-your-s7-s7-edge-r1632/

You can also partition the card so that part of it is readable in a standard computer (you'd obviously want to turn off the phone before removing the card).  Store pictures on half and use the other half for extra App space.

32GB is plenty for me for now (though my 16GB on my S5 was limiting), but it's nice to have in reserve.

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 1

Screen protector options for the edge version? 

Several are good, I would recommend the spigen crystal curve screen protector but beware, if you are using one of those slim low profile cases, they tend to cause the edge part of the protector to peel off which can be very annoying.  But I did have great success with the spigen, thats what I have on my s6edge right now and never had an issue with it.

• Like 2