Samsung Galaxy S7 & S7 Edge User Thread

SturgeonGeneral

Last charged 10 am PST yesterday.  Today still clinging through.  Yesterday was streaming Nascar, streaming Pandora, using navigation through Google Maps, web surfing, and e-mails on LTE.  Today, usual work day, e-mails, text messages, chat and surfing the net.  I can consider myself an average user.

6QBEzQ1l.pngd4XozNSl.png

McuqHz7l.pngOtHQpPyl.png

• Like 3

Last charged 10 am PST yesterday.  Today still clinging through.  Yesterday was streaming Nascar, streaming Pandora, using navigation through Google Maps, web surfing, and e-mails on LTE.  Today, usual work day, e-mails, text messages, chat and surfing the net.  I can consider myself an average user.

Screen on Time?

6QBEzQ1l.pngd4XozNSl.png

McuqHz7l.pngOtHQpPyl.png

I can't wait to show how fast a power user can kill one of these.

Screen on Time?

So far 4 hours from this test.  Next test will keep screen on.  How can I keep my screen on all day for this test?  

So far 4 hours from this test.  Next test will keep screen on.  How can I keep my screen on all day for this test?  

You tube and queue up a bunch of documentaries.

Search on military or wwii

Then you only have to check it every hour or two.

if I may ask since I cannot find, how many LTE bands does sprint S7 edge have ?, I really need a world phone like ipone 6S plus

Edited by udithadj

if I may ask since I cannot find, how many LTE bands does sprint S7 edge have ?, I really need a world phone like ipone 6S plus

Different countries have different bands, there's no true "World Phone".  Even the 6S has multiple models.

That said, the S7 has all the same "world phone" bands the iPhone 6S does.

so you mean once s7 edge is unlocked all the other lte bands will appear?. I have an upgrade I need to use and thinking whether S7 edge or iphone 7 plus

The FCC documents show what bands are supported.

A majority of the bands around the world are supported by the S7 Edge.  But not all of them.  If you're planning on going to Africa where they use some weird bands you may have issues, I guess.

I'm upgrading from a Galaxy S5.

I can say that signal strength is way, way better with the S7 Edge.

I could never get LTE from my desk and would occasionally push to Roaming on my S5.  I get a decent LTE signal from my work desk on my S7 Edge, however.

• Like 1

READ ME!!

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-405-updated-teaser-samsung-galaxy-s7-and-s7-edge-one-of-us-one-variant-each-for-all-of-the-us/

That firmware on the Sprint "P" variant, for example, will enable CCA/RRPP compliant bands 2/4/5/12/25/26/41 but disable VZW band 13, AT&T bands 29/30, and VoLTE. Similar segmentation applies to the other domestic variants, such as the AT&T "A" variant and T-Mobile "T" variant, both of which disable CDMA2000 and Sprint bands 25/26/41.

Thus, the single SKU aspect for the "US" hardware variants of the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 Edge will be limited to their respective FCC IDs. At the retail and end user levels, separate SKUs and model numbers still will exist for the operator specific airlink/band firmware packages.

(I kinda assumed everyone that who had wanted this phone had also read this article on the S4GRU wall.)

• Like 2

1 Day 9 Hours.  Not bad.

Crb0cFWl.png

Now how long to charge and on what charger?

I got my Samsung Qi flat pad wireless charger today.

which one? Fast wireless charger charges really fast while the other will charge like a traditional charger which is slow.

which one? Fast wireless charger charges really fast while the other will charge like a traditional charger which is slow.

ROTFL!!  I shouldn't have to clarify this.

The question is how long on average (in real numbers) does it take to recharge from specific locations on the line, 50%, 30%, zero, or near zero using the common methods?

Flat pad Qi charger, and standard sammie wall outlet cord, is there a special qi cord that charges faster than the "normal" white outlet adapter/cord?

The one that came with my QI was marked different (I'll add a photo tonight)

• Like 1

PSA:  You will not get the free 6 apps from the Oculus store until 3/11 even if you got the device early!

There's a post on the Oculus site about it (if I can find the link).

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 1

PSA: You will not get the free 6 apps from the Oculus store until 3/11 even if you got the device early!

Can't wait to see what the free apps are! Looking forward to trying this out. I'm sure it a way different experience than cardboard.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

ROTFL!! I shouldn't have to clarify this.

The question is how long on average (in real numbers) does it take to recharge from specific locations on the line, 50%, 30%, zero, or near zero using the common methods?

Flat pad Qi charger, and standard sammie wall outlet cord, is there a special qi cord that charges faster than the "normal" white outlet adapter/cord?

Oh

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Can't wait to see what the free apps are! Looking forward to trying this out. I'm sure it a way different experience than cardboard.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I have bought so many apps already. I got mine back in November when finding one seemed impossible

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

ROTFL!!  I shouldn't have to clarify this.

P=VI

The wireless fast charger(Must say fast charger on it) is 9V and 1.67 Amp so that is close to 15 watts. The S7 edge battery is 13.86 Watts so almost an hour to charge from zero. Many plugs are 5V 2A meaning 10 Watts and some are only 1A meaning still slower recharge to almost 3 hours with a 5V 1A plug.

The real question is do you want to use fast charge all the time? Some say it kills the battery total life faster.

• Like 1

I can definitely say the camera focusing is super fast and very consistent.

My Galaxy S5 was getting frustrating not being able to focus on close things in poor lighting.

As far as battery life, it'll be easy to hit 5 hours SOT consistently.  I'm at 81% right now with 1 hour SOT (with heavy usage due to still setting stuff up) and Always on Display turned on (and all Google syncing, location reporting, Android Wear).

My work's wifi network also drains it a bit extra due to some weird quirk with authenticated wifi networks (it destroys iPhones too), so it's doing especially well (where my S5 would be at 75% or less right now with far less usage).  I was on cellular for 50% of the time.

The fingerprint sensor works very well, just make sure to move your finger around and register from multiple angles when you first set it up.  Make sure to register the sides of you finger.

Fingerprint unlocking is insanely fast.  If you register the fingerprints properly you will have 0 issues when you unlock it.

I like the double-tap home button to open the camera.  It opens very fast.  You can even do it from the lock screen and it'll unlock with fingerprint and open the camera.

Edited by jnadke

A few tips:

-In the Camera, under "Mode" at the bottom, at the top is "Download".  You can download more camera modes (Sport mode, GIF mode, and Dual camera mode)

-I got sick of the rounded icons quickly (a mix of rounded icons and Material icons), but I replaced it with a Material theme.  Long press home screen > Themes > More Themes > "More" (top right) > Search > "Material Design" (by Cameron Bunch - it's FREE).

The Material theme makes the UI much more consistent.

-I like RSBrowser (general tip):  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rsbrowser.browser&hl=en

It runs an older version of Chrome (open source Chromium), but has a built-in ad-blocker and supports Google bookmarks/password syncing and auto-fill.  It's also custom-compiled to run faster on Snapdragon.

(On Marshmallow it's a little janky since it doesn't seem to ask for permissions properly, I had to go into the Application Manager and turn on the permissions, then I could add my Chrome/Google account to it and give it permission.  For some reason the permission notification stays on top until you reboot).

Edited by jnadke
  • Like 2