LG G5 User Thread (LG-LS992)

lilotimz

Get a small screwdriver and take it apart. It's not hard at all I had to replace two screens

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

my lg g5 after the update the battery life is worse then before....my phone is only 4 months old

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a system update this morning after a very long time without one.  Software is now LS992ZVC, bringing it to the 9/1/17 patch level.  Still Android 7.0.  Anything else I should check?

- Trip

Got a system update this morning after a very long time without one.  Software is now LS992ZVC, bringing it to the 9/1/17 patch level.  Still Android 7.0.  Anything else I should check?
- Trip
Look to see if wifi calling is still labeled as such or has it been relabeled as calling plus.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Could be wrong, but I'd assume we'd see a version level (even minor - aka 7.0.1) if there were any actual functionality changes/patches.  Anytime there's just a security patch update the version never changes from what I've observed.

• 4 months later...

New system update prompt today & just installed it.   I forgot to take a screenshot of the front end descriptor but it said something about optimization in addition to security updates, but there's no version change after the fact - still 7.0, and shows security patch level as February 1, 2018.  New software version is LS992ZVF.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

Hope yet for Oreo release on the G5:

https://www.xda-developers.com/lg-g5-android-oreo-kernel-sources-korea/amp/

(yes, I'm probably one of the few still hanging on to one)

I still have mine as back up. Powered it up to make sure it works. My G6 Bluetooth isn't working and vibration stopped so I'm considering sending it in, and using the G5 in the interim.

Whether Sprint would spring for their usual features/bloatware and distribution/support costs for a two year plus phone remains to be seen. T-Mobile might be more likely. Still many of these phones out there.

Hope yet for Oreo release on the G5:
https://www.xda-developers.com/lg-g5-android-oreo-kernel-sources-korea/amp/
(yes, I'm probably one of the few still hanging on to one)

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I dropped my G5 awhile back and broke the screen. Didn't want to pay the 150 (?) deductible for an out of date phone so I just went and got a different phone. I do miss my G5 from time to time. It took better pictures than any phone I have had to date. I did NOT miss all the bloatware and useless apps that came with it as part of Sprint and some from LG. Hope it gets Oreo soon!

We have 3 in the household, 2 have had to be replaced, but we're starting to forego TEP altogether and in both replacement cases bought a manufacturer refurbished G5 off eBay for $100 or less from Cellularstream.  I still love the convenience of the replaceable battery and they're plenty fast enough for anything we need to do. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
We have 3 in the household, 2 have had to be replaced, but we're starting to forego TEP altogether and in both replacement cases bought a manufacturer refurbished G5 off eBay for $100 or less from Cellularstream.  I still love the convenience of the replaceable battery and they're plenty fast enough for anything we need to do. 
Cellularstream has an awful lot of negative feedback from people saying they got locked phones. I take it you've not had any problems? I'm thinking of picking up a cheap G5 to use for a while until I can justify a new flagship phone..

I'm not sure where you're looking and seeing a swath of negative vs positive feedback, but on eBay they have over 120k user ratings and a 98.4% positive track record over the last 12 months.  At any rate, I've gotten 3 phones from them to date and never had an issue with a locked phone.  I did have to return one that started bootlooping shortly after (within 30 days) and they replaced it no problem, the replacement hasn't had an issue.  Mind you, no one is perfect, but I've felt confident using them to date anyway.

• Like 2

I'm not sure where you're looking and seeing a swath of negative vs positive feedback, but on eBay they have over 120k user ratings and a 98.4% positive track record over the last 12 months.  At any rate, I've gotten 3 phones from them to date and never had an issue with a locked phone.  I did have to return one that started bootlooping shortly after (within 30 days) and they replaced it no problem, the replacement hasn't had an issue.  Mind you, no one is perfect, but I've felt confident using them to date anyway.
On eBay. Not more negative than positive, but averaging 10 negative per month over the last year seems like a lot to me.

3 hours ago, Grabber5.0 said:
13 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

On eBay. Not more negative than positive, but averaging 10 negative per month over the last year seems like a lot to me.

The negatives are 1.3% of the entire 12 month period (the other .3 appears to be neutral reviews).   For products that aren't brand new and you're getting  them on the cheap anyway, 98.4% positive is about as good as you're going to find to me.  If you're wanting an absolute sure thing with a warranty, you pony up the money and get a new phone anyway - you kind of have to keep it all in proper perspective and set your expectations accordingly if you go this route.  You typically can also buy a short term Assurant warranty (has to be upfront) when you purchase from them if you so desire for just a little more, for the record.  Granted that probably wouldn't cover a bad IMEI/ESN/etc if you did run into that scenario, but ultimately you have to weigh both sides and make the best decision you can for your situation. 

For me, its been a money saver by a longshot compared to if we'd bought new phones in all three of those situations, and for the most part not really feeling like I've been losing out much in terms of current gen differential, as hardware improvements since the G5 release are really not night/day difference like would have been the case 5+ years ago.

19 hours ago, PythonFanPA said:

...Granted that probably wouldn't cover a bad IMEI/ESN/etc if you did run into that scenario...

If it is the product description that those are good or you ask a question on that and say they are good, you can get a refund based on the product not being as described.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Various reports have stated since February That the LG G5 is to get the Android O "Oreo" update.  On July 4th versions were released for Korea.  Then the Sprint LG V20 got the update.  A few hours ago T-Mobile said this: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-37249  My guess is Sprint is not far behind.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2018 at 7:17 PM, PythonFanPA said:

Concerned that they have not updated it yet.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:51 PM, dkyeager said:

Concerned that they have not updated it yet.

There's at least some hint/hope that they will be:

https://www.lg.com/us/support-mobile/lg-LGLS992#

There are 4 new 9/21/2018 dated Help Library links, including both an Operation and Troubleshooting link each for a Software Update on LG's page for the device.  While no new update version is referenced yet, and while that could just be simply a coincidence and prepping for a security update, juxtaposed against the other carriers and release timeframe, it's at least plausible that could be in prep for an eventual Oreo release on the Sprint variant.

• Like 1