LG G5 User Thread (LG-LS992)

lilotimz

Bought mine from Best Buy when they had the $200 gift card deal when purchasing on instalments, no problems so far!

Our initial purchase was at bestbuy as well.

Oh man, I was thinking about getting two of these on the buy one get one deal for my wife and mom, but with all the hardware QC issues you are having, not sure I want to go that route.

Oh man, I was thinking about getting two of these on the buy one get one deal for my wife and mom, but with all the hardware QC issues you are having, not sure I want to go that route.

My wife and I both have one now - thus far, nary a hiccup with either of us.  Both rock solid, including through our vacation a month ago.

Been about 3 weeks now... still no issues either!

Been about 3 weeks now... still no issues either!

Good reports always help out.  Unfortunately, the buy one/get one deal is only if you add a new line of service.  I'll just wait for them to be contract upgrade eligible soon and figure out the best deal then.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A system update was pushed to my G5. "Installing system update..."

Update done. Still Android 6.01 but saw this:

Android Security patch level

2016-07-01

Wonder when they will fix the WiFi calling so it also handles texts.

After only about two months, I'm already seeing burn-in on my screen from SignalCheck Pro.  My S5 didn't burn in for more than a year.

- Trip

One would think that the S5, being OLED, would be the one with burn-in issues. :hmm:

• 3 weeks later...

Also this today: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-continues-lte-plus-three-channel-carrier-aggregation-tests-reaches-275-mbps-with-lg-g5.htm?view_id=8120

That article does help clear things up. 

So we can say for sure now that the G5 is 3xCA capable? Do we know if there is an updated needed or is it ready to go now?

Also this today: http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/sprint-continues-lte-plus-three-channel-carrier-aggregation-tests-reaches-275-mbps-with-lg-g5.htm?view_id=8120

That article does help clear things up. 

So we can say for sure now that the G5 is 3xCA capable? Do we know if there is an updated needed or is it ready to go now?

Technically it can I suppose.

You don't necessary need to declare downlink carrier operations to the FCC (htc never does) since uplink (device transmission) is untouched but it's still pretty weird how the initial FCC filing stated it is only capable of 2xCA operations. 

• 4 weeks later...

Any more QC issues on the G5?  Looking for an upgrade for my Dad and a Buddy of his who share a plan.

I haven't had any issues.  Whatever burn-in I thought I was seeing must have been temporary and has since faded.

- Trip

Performance wise its still the best phone I've ever owned, no quirks/issues at all. The one negative I could say is that I've found the screen to be too easy to get minor scratches on - I say minor because they're either visible or not depending on what angle you view from. During straight on viewing while using the phone you can't really see anything, but if you start angling down to almost horizontal, it can be very noticeable.

• Like 1

I have to get my G5 swapped out. My rear camera (not the wide angle) will not focus anymore and I'm not the only person that has the issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg5/comments/4rdidq/my_lg_g5_camera_focus_is_not_working_do_you_know/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So my dad and his buddy got these and man do we all really dislike that LG "skin" on Android.  Having all the apps on the home screens, with no app drawer is not a good look.  Everything just felt so cluttered.  I put the Google Now launcher on it for my Dad as he was coming from a Nexus 5 and it will be a similar look at feel.

That LG skin may be worse than Samsung's TouchWiz

So my dad and his buddy got these and man do we all really dislike that LG "skin" on Android.  Having all the apps on the home screens, with no app drawer is not a good look.  Everything just felt so cluttered.  I put the Google Now launcher on it for my Dad as he was coming from a Nexus 5 and it will be a similar look at feel.

That LG skin may be worse than Samsung's TouchWiz

Yeah, I had Nova Launcher on mine from day 1...but then, that would have been the case regardless of which phone I bought anyway. Even back on the old Epic 4G (my first Android phone) I didn't stick with the default launcher long...I think it was ADW that was one of the the best back then I used before I discovered Nova.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This morning my G5 is asking me to do a system update.  I'll give it a shot later in the day and try to see what's what.

EDIT:  Other than the patch level going up, I'm not sure I see any major changes off-hand.

- Trip

This morning my G5 is asking me to do a system update. I'll give it a shot later in the day and try to see what's what.

EDIT: Other than the patch level going up, I'm not sure I see any major changes off-hand.

- Trip

Hopefully is is 3xCA and/or new Wi-Fi calling with sms over wifi

Sent from my SM-N930P2 using Tapatalk