LG G5 User Thread (LG-LS992)

lilotimz

Interesting! I just did some reading on Knock On and on Knock Codes. That's immensely useful, and makes my decision easier. Thanks!

- Trip

I love this phone just for that. Plus all the other great stuff LOL

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Because of how difficult I'm finding it to get my hands on an HTC 10 to look at, I'm leaning back toward the LG G5.  The question I have is, I'm very used to using my S5 with it lying on my desk at work.  If the screen is off, I can just press the power button (on the side) and wake it up.  However, the G5 has the power button on the back.

Given the always-on screen, can it be woken up from the screen without the rear button?  Or is there some alternate way of waking it up that does not require me to pick up the phone first?

- Trip

This is the G4, but similar concept. I hardly ever use the physical power button anymore. Just double tap the screen to turn it on, and then double tap it to turn it off. Very convenient! Second nature now so much I get confused when I pick up my brothers HTC and tapping the screen doesn't do anything ... :D

Zv4 update is out this am

Yep, updated this morning on my way to work, can't remember what it detailed besides security updates, but the one noticeable change I've seen is a popup if you use a standard charger (the wording is that your phone is charging slow or something along those lines).

Got my G5 yesterday!  So far, I'm really liking this phone.  My take so far:

Do we know if this phone supports SRLTE?  I am actually impressed with it; SCP has been showing me 1X with LTE only for limited periods after very low signal or signal loss.  Anecdotally, it seems like it's quicker to jump back to LTE (with 1X still showing) than my S5 was, which suggests that SRLTE could be helping on that front.  It also seems to drop unusable LTE faster than my S5 did, again, anecdotally.  I'll have to verify both of these things over the next few weeks.

I love how much I can customize the UI.  Not only could I change what was shown in the pull-down menu to match what I actually wanted there, but I can also change the buttons at the bottom!  So I actually have a "Capture+" button sitting in the bar at the bottom right between Home and Back.  All I need to do is figure out how to have it be one button press instead of one plus save and I'll have the perfect phone for screenshots.  I've also customized a lot of other things to be exactly what I like; I'm quite satisfied.

I LOVE Knock On.  Enough said.  Debating whether to put a Knock Code on it.  If I put one on, can I still Knock On and then swipe to open or am I then required to Knock each time I want to wake my phone?  At home or at work, the code seems good, but on the go it seems like that would then require two hands instead of one to wake my phone.

Somewhat off subject, but this is my first USB-C device and I love how solid the connector feels with the phone.  Micro USB always felt brittle in a way that USB-C does not.

I have yet to accidentally press the back button, as I do all the time on my LG Leon LTE.  LG definitely got it right this time.

Battery drain on the way in this morning was better than my S5 was, even with a new battery.  Not sure if it's a difference in reporting or better use of battery, but either way, I'm happier.

What is the "N" looking icon?  I can't figure out what it is, though I'm sure with some digging I could figure it out.

Any opinions on cases?  After cracking my S5, I'm thinking about getting one on this go around.

More to come.

- Trip

• Like 2

What is the "N" looking icon?  I can't figure out what it is, though I'm sure with some digging I could figure it out.

Many thanks to ryry4ya, it was NFC.  I shut it off since I never use it.

- Trip

Any opinions on cases?  After cracking my S5, I'm thinking about getting one on this go around.

- Trip

After reviewing all the launch options I went with one of the Urban Armor Gear cases - they come in a couple different colors and I love the styling:

https://urbanarmorgear.com/collections/lg-g5-cases

I chose the Magma case.

I'm looking for something smaller than that.  I'm considering this:  http://smile.amazon.com/Absorption-Protection-Bumper-Scratch-Protective/dp/B01BOBL8SQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1464559692&sr=1-4&keywords=lg+g5+case

Also, does anyone have NextRadio working?  The NextRadio page says the Sprint LG G5 should work, but no such luck when I actually try it, saying it's having a problem accessing the tuner hardware.  Similarly, I have another radio app which just freezes when I try to access the tuner.

- Trip

I got my LG G5 about a week and and so far I like it with one small disappointment... Coming from a Note 3 I was able to talk on the phone and use the internet at the same time (when I had LTE service). Apparently the G5 doesn't use the 1x radio to handle calls when you're in LTE service? This isn't a deal breaker or anything like that, I'm just used to using my bluetooth and checking things on the web or sending emails while talking and this is no longer possible. Other than that, I enjoy the phone. Has another bought the camera add on? Was wondering how that was - if it was worth it. 

I got my LG G5 about a week and and so far I like it with one small disappointment... Coming from a Note 3 I was able to talk on the phone and use the internet at the same time (when I had LTE service). Apparently the G5 doesn't use the 1x radio to handle calls when you're in LTE service? This isn't a deal breaker or anything like that, I'm just used to using my bluetooth and checking things on the web or sending emails while talking and this is no longer possible. 

This post in a prior SVLTE thread should shed light for you as to what's going on there - the Note 3 was the last capable device with Sprint to be able to do what you're now missing:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7435-questions-about-availability-of-svlte-on-sprints-network/&do=findComment&comment=469142

• Like 2

This post in a prior SVLTE thread should shed light for you as to what's going on there - the Note 3 was the last capable device with Sprint to be able to do what you're now missing:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7435-questions-about-availability-of-svlte-on-sprints-network/&do=findComment&comment=469142

Bummer... Thanks for sharing! [emoji1]

Also, does anyone have NextRadio working?  The NextRadio page says the Sprint LG G5 should work, but no such luck when I actually try it, saying it's having a problem accessing the tuner hardware.  Similarly, I have another radio app which just freezes when I try to access the tuner.

- Trip

Spoke with Sprint support this morning who did something, had me reboot my phone, and when it came up again, FM was working.

- Trip

• Like 2

It switches bands like a Boss! 

I noticed this myself.  On my S5 I almost never saw B25 unless I was on a tower without B41 around; I would jump between B41 and B26 and that was it.  Now I see it pretty regularly.

- Trip

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Man I really do like this phone, (mostly the radio performance, its just that good!) but i have had the phone replaced twice already, and it looks like I'm gonna have to get it replaced a third time.

Don't know if its just my dumb luck or this phone has some serious QC issues. 

First, the phone just stop powering on, swapped battery, held down reset buttons. Nothing worked. 

Second device, the power button was intermittent. I would press it at an angle and it would work, but that was extremely annoying so I got it replaced. 

Now, the GPS just stop locking. Tried calibrating it, resetting, hard reset whole device, even install GPS software to no avail. After doing some research, come to find out there is a bunch of folks having the same issue, and the only solution seems to be a replacement device.

Its very disappointing to go through these issues, I've never owned a device that was this unreliable. Its even more upsetting because I genuinely like the device.

One positive thing, Sprint has been on top of their game with replacing the device, I have had no issues at the store getting a replacement device. 

Hopefully third times a charm. :fingers:

• Like 1

Any word on text messaging being added to wifi calling? Sprint previously promised by the end of 2016.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I've had trouble with the volume down button being intermittent. Was going to have the device replaced but the small lens on the camera has a tiny crack in it and Sprint wouldn't replace it says I would have to make an insurance claim. I'll have to deal with it it until I can get an extra 250.00

I've had trouble with the volume down button being intermittent. Was going to have the device replaced but the small lens on the camera has a tiny crack in it and Sprint wouldn't replace it says I would have to make an insurance claim. I'll have to deal with it it until I can get an extra 250.00

I feel your pain, why not try to get warranty support directly from LG. I'm sure they would just replace the button(s), at least you can get that taken care of at no cost and without involving Sprint.

• Like 1

Man I really do like this phone, (mostly the radio performance, its just that good!) but i have had the phone replaced twice already, and it looks like I'm gonna have to get it replaced a third time.

Don't know if its just my dumb luck or this phone has some serious QC issues. 

First, the phone just stop powering on, swapped battery, held down reset buttons. Nothing worked. 

Second device, the power button was intermittent. I would press it at an angle and it would work, but that was extremely annoying so I got it replaced. 

Now, the GPS just stop locking. Tried calibrating it, resetting, hard reset whole device, even install GPS software to no avail. After doing some research, come to find out there is a bunch of folks having the same issue, and the only solution seems to be a replacement device.

Its very disappointing to go through these issues, I've never owned a device that was this unreliable. Its even more upsetting because I genuinely like the device.

One positive thing, Sprint has been on top of their game with replacing the device, I have had no issues at the store getting a replacement device. 

Hopefully third times a charm. :fingers:

My wife's daughter is on her third g5 due to random hardware issues with the first two units.

On our 3rd g5 and the volume buttons don't work at all.

I feel your pain, why not try to get warranty support directly from LG. I'm sure they would just replace the button(s), at least you can get that taken care of at no cost and without involving Sprint.

We sent her last unit out to lg due to the volume buttons not working at all and they refused to fix it under warranty since there was a small crack on the screen. Ended up getting swapped out at the sprint store.

My wife's daughter is on her third g5 due to random hardware issues with the first two units.

We sent her last unit out to lg due to the volume buttons not working at all and they refused to fix it under warranty since there was a small crack on the screen. Ended up getting swapped out at the sprint store.

I spoke to the tech at the local corporate store and he urged me to replace it with a different device. He said out of 19 phones they have for repair there were 8 G5's. 

Pretty awful, LG really screwed the pooch on this one. At this point I really wished I hated the device, would have been much easier to just pick something else up.

• Like 1

Bought mine from Best Buy when they had the $200 gift card deal when purchasing on instalments, no problems so far!