LG G5 Rumor Thread (LG LS992)

PythonFanPA

Hello Everyone!

I'm disappointed to say this, but it really does appear the LG G5 is a crappy device. I'm glad I didn't get it, and here is a video explaining/showing some reasons why. Note the particular mention of how the device really doesn't feel premium at all. Keep in mind too that this device does not feature 3xca. At the price the LG G5 costs, along with the knowledge that this device likely is going to require lots of battery charges and battery swaps to make it through the day, is it really worth it? Sure it has some neat camera features and audio features too, but very likely the HTC 10 also will have. Even the Samsung Galaxy S7 looks like a much better device than this.: 

LG devices from my experience are always built cheap and they tend to depreciate in value more than any other flagship.  I've learned not to purchase LGs on launch for this very reason.  The G4 is already in the upper $200s to lower $300s new.

• Like 2

I picked up mine today and I love it thus far. System performance is awesome, very snappy in everything, installs are lightning quick, etc.   Arysyn, as far as reviews, there were mixed reviews before launch, there are mixed reviews now.  Its' not a crappy device at all, but obviously everyone has their own takes on things.  I ultimately decided on giving it a try at least (always the 14 day window if I change my mind) due to the battery flexibility, given Samsung appears to have abandoned it.  Loving the usb-c connector, it feels much more stable than regular micro usb's on any phone I've used in general, and even without a quickcharge plug it seems to add juice pretty quickly.  It feels premium to me, just maybe to a lesser degree than the S7's of the world (and keep that in mind - not all elements, but much of the 'negative reviews' are coming in stark contrast to the S7 line as a comparative to that). Those harping on 3xCA are, again, the relative minority - most people aren't even cognizant of such a thing.

For my part, I had no plans to get any of the 'module' Friends, though I may try the LG 360 cam somewhere down the line.  Maybe even the roller cam depending on the cost - that kind of looked fun to play around with, particularly with the thought of tormenting the dog and cat in the house here. :rasp:  That being said (on the module point), regardless of what you think of what LG came up with initially, on the other hand, at least LG is actually *trying* to differentiate/innovate/try new ideas between the V10 and this, which is more than I've seen from anyone else really, so even if the end result didn't come off as truly wow-factor, I still give them credit for putting forth some thought/effort.  As the saying goes, you can't make a good omelette without breaking some eggs.  

The only real negative I see right out of the gate with the G5 potentially (aside from being late compared to the S7 and the design change back from the rear volume control which will offput prior LG fans), for those not as ingrained in the possibilities of the Android ecosystem, is that the 3rd 'normal' home screen/launcher option supposedly in the retail release must either be for another carrier(s), or else will come in a later post-launch patch - mine only has the default non-launcher homescreen and then the 'Easy' option labeled as more for 'beginners'.  Otherwise, most people I know who *are* more power users never use default launchers anyway whether Touchwiz or otherwise.  It'll be Nova Launcher for me anyway.

On a side note - if my store experiences this week are any indication, Sprint is definitely hopping these days....the Harrisburg mall store was fairly busy with 2 people ahead of me when I stopped by Monday to preorder at about 3:45 in the afternoon and today I got off early and was there by 2:30 on another workday, they had 3-4 reps plus the manager all helping (I lucked out and picked up the manager as I walked in) and they had 2-3 other people that showed up within 10 minutes that were waiting before I left.

• Like 4

On a side note - if my store experiences this week are any indication, Sprint is definitely hopping these days....the Harrisburg mall store was fairly busy with 2 people ahead of me when I stopped by Monday to preorder at about 3:45 in the afternoon and today I got off early and was there by 2:30 on another workday, they had 3-4 reps plus the manager all helping (I lucked out and picked up the manager as I walked in) and they had 2-3 other people that showed up within 10 minutes that were waiting before I left.

I guess the Amish or the "English" really are starting to like Sprint.

;)

AJ

I guess the Amish or the "English" really are starting to like Sprint.

;)

AJ

Harrisburg's rather the opposite direction from Lancaster/Amish country from where I live - though I've seen the odd few in Walmart over on Grayson Road at times.  Have yet to find a traditional Amish chick anywhere with a martini in her hand celebrating rumspringa sadly - after you helped enlighten me to that concept, I'd been hoping to spot some random comedy relief while out and about.

LG devices from my experience are always built cheap and they tend to depreciate in value more than any other flagship.  I've learned not to purchase LGs on launch for this very reason.  The G4 is already in the upper $200s to lower $300s new.

That sounds like a better way to go about purchasing an LG device to wait until the price drops, if a person is really inclined on purchasing one. I've never been a fan of LG and I despise their motto/slogan. However, I did try the LG V10 and really liked it. I probably still would have it if there wasn't the weird calling defect in the device I had.

PythonFanTN, hopefully the device will continue to work well for you. However, it really upset me to hear LG is using plastic over what they are advertising as metal. I hate dishonesty, which is why I'm being harsh regarding this device. Besides that, the device isn't waterproof and is technically lacking in contrast to the Samsung Galaxy S7, unless the modules are considered into the comparison.

Yet, many features of these modules really could have been implemented in the device without being modules. They ought to have kept the display size at 5.5 inches, which they could have had a 4,000mah replaceable battery, while offering a smaller 5 inch model with a 3,500mah replaceable battery. If LG did this using RGB OLED display instead of LCD, then LG would have made a compelling, truly competitive device. Especially if LG had carried over the DAC from the V10 and also used dual amps as featured in some of the Vivo smartphones, LG would have had an audio powerhouse in this device without needing a separate module. Adding to this, a front-facing and a rear-facing 120-degree wide-angle 12mp dual-pixel camera setup, dual front-facing speakers with dual microphones, would make LG stronger than ever in the smartphone market.

Now, while some may look at my proposed technical specifications and think that they would make the smartphone too expensive, just take a look at the Chinese Oppo and Vivo smartphones, which feature similar high-level specifications as I've listed, yet still costs less than an IPhone 6s Plus. Also, this wouldn't make the G series too powerful and feature-filled that there couldn't continue to be a V series. The differences could be the V series remaining at 5.7 inches or even at 5.9 inches with a 4,500mah-5,000mah replaceable battery. The cameras could be 16mp dual-pixel 120-degree wide-angle variety. Plus, the V series could be 4k, making it one very super-premium device. 

PythonFanTN, hopefully the device will continue to work well for you. However, it really upset me to hear LG is using plastic over what they are advertising as metal. I hate dishonesty, which is why I'm being harsh regarding this device. Besides that, the device isn't waterproof and is technically lacking in contrast to the Samsung Galaxy S7, unless the modules are considered into the comparison.

This Phandroid article better explains what all the bruhaha is about:

http://phandroid.com/2016/04/01/lg-g5-metal-plastic-questions/

I could see where if a shady LG salesman was on a streetcorner saying "Hey buddy, you won't see one ounce of anything but 100% pure gal-darn metal in this baby here - no other materials of any kind to be found anywhere!" where someone might be upset, but based on what I've read, the phone does have a metal unibody with other materials involved as well.   The interview article with the lead designer I posted previously talked a little about the microdizing process - part of the point was to hide the antenna line. So far all that seems to be just an overblown misunderstanding to me, due to some people taking the simple phrase 'metal unibody' and interpreting it to mean the equivalent of '100% pure unadulterated adamantium - you should be able to line a jacket with these and make your own bulletproof vest!!'  I don't quite understand this whole 'we want hard metal phones' fetish anyway personally, unless the point for some is they are wanting to come to a day where they can just have an impervious phone and no longer have to act like its sacrilege to not buy a case for it  - because be honest, that's what almost everyone nowadays does anyway.

As far as being waterproof, I don't see that as any huge deal - they never claimed it would be in the first place for one thing, and for another, while it's nice I suppose on the few phones that actually do that (Samsung mainly) in the off chance you were to mistakenly drop your phone in a toilet or the like, its not remotely a make-or-break feature.  Anything can always potentially happen to anyone, but I've yet to do such a thing myself, and in the off chance if I do, hey, life happens sometimes, and I'll suck it up and deal with it.

• Like 5

Same here - I'm still impressed at how fast this thing gains charge compared to all other phones I've dealt with.  I've still got a ways to go setting mine back up like I want, but I've been playing with it as I've been able to (side note: we have my wife's nieces/nephews for a sleepover with her kids tonight so it's not been solid). Even if it doesn't have a 3k+ battery and you didn't have a spare to switch out with, even 15-20 minutes at any AC outlet seems to give me a decent quick boost as I've had it plugged in off and on since early this afternoon.

• Like 1

Thought I'd test-quantify the charging rate today - I just plugged in at 46% and timed 10 minutes out and re-checked, and got 18% charge back.  So roughly 1.8% recharge per minute.

Note:  this is with the stock cable and quick charge plug that comes with it.  Also, you can tell when you're in quick charge mode 2 ways....for one, the pulldown notification is labeled as 'Fast-charging', and for another, the battery icon has an extra circle around the usual lightning bolt when in quick/fast charge mode.

• Like 1

In Erica's video I posted above, I'll admit she is a bit too negative about the LG G5. I also get annoyed with her saying several times "I really want to like this phone" when it really doesn't seem as she does.

Regardless, the issues she pointed out were pretty bad, especially the light bleed. Also, the LG G5 really doesn't look as good in contrast to the LG V10. Perhaps it would be better if LG just replaced the Snapdragon 808 with the Snapdragon 820 on the V10 and sell it as the LG V10 Special Edition and make a Sprint version of it too this time around.

I view that and the only word that comes to my mind is 'nitpicky', which even then to me is putting it mildly.  Yeah, she may have gotten one with a few minor factory blemishes or something, and she's certainly within her right to replace if it bothers her that much - I don't see the same issues on mine.  Even that being said, I'm surprised she didn't stick it under a microscope to analyze how much worse it could be for her: "See there?  this part is .037 microns from being a perfectly flat surface.  Just crappy LG, I'm disappointed in you!"  I don't know who this chick is, but if she's aspiring to be a professional journalist she shouldn't quit her day job.  Overall, a fairly crappy overview which was overkill on cosmetics and little to nothing on actual substance.

• Like 2

Hows the signal strength from previous devices?

So far, I see notable improvement at home compared to my Galaxy S4T (which wasn't considered an RF slouch) , especially when in the basement - not saying night/day difference, but I can get a stronger signal from the closest tower now where before I'd be barely hanging onto 1x/1x800. With LTE I generally am getting -110 to -113 where before it tended to be more in the -118 to -122 range.

So far, I see notable improvement at home compared to my Galaxy S4T (which wasn't considered an RF slouch) , especially when in the basement - not saying night/day difference, but I can get a stronger signal from the closest tower now where before I'd be barely hanging onto 1x/1x800. With LTE I generally am getting -110 to -113 where before it tended to be more in the -118 to -122 range.

I wonder how it compares to the note 5 or s7. Looks like the fcc numbers are higher then the s7 when I last looked.

I view that and the only word that comes to my mind is 'nitpicky', which even then to me is putting it mildly.  Yeah, she may have gotten one with a few minor factory blemishes or something, and she's certainly within her right to replace if it bothers her that much - I don't see the same issues on mine.  Even that being said, I'm surprised she didn't stick it under a microscope to analyze how much worse it could be for her: "See there?  this part is .037 microns from being a perfectly flat surface.  Just crappy LG, I'm disappointed in you!"  I don't know who this chick is, but if she's aspiring to be a professional journalist she shouldn't quit her day job.  Overall, a fairly crappy overview which was overkill on cosmetics and little to nothing on actual substance.

She made a very odd video regarding her couple month experience using the Sony Xperia 5 Premium, where she's critical of some small details, then later praising those exact same things she just moments prior was being critical of. Particularly regarding the 4k display.

Another thing she mentions is how she buys her phones she reviews. She makes no mention in the few videos I've seen from her of any kind of job she has, and if she were a professional reviewer, I'd imagine she'd be getting these devices on loan to review. She mentioned her husband in one of the reviews, so perhaps he's supporting this for her.

Not to say women can't pay for phones for reviewing, certainly they can just as men. No difference there. However, something isn't quite right with this particular lady. Her speaking is not very well composed in these videos, and some of her actions are similar to a girl I knew who had psychosis. One thing to note is how in the LG G5 video, she took down the ability to vote on that video, yet the ability to vote still remains on some of her other videos. Very strange behavior.

All these negative reviews got me down about this phone. However, the more I think about it, these issues are a non issue for me. It doesn't matter what the plastic/metal/thick paint back panel is made of or if it is slightly imperfect. I always put cases on my phones anyway. It's been a long time since I saw the beautiful sparkling glass back panel on my S6.

The light bleed probably won't be an issue either. How many times would I put my phone on full brightness in total darkness?

The missing app drawer would be a bigger issue but there is a software update correcting that.

The other complaint about the gap between the phone and the removable battery module is the only one that would annoy me especially if it got worse over time. Not sure if anyone with the phone has a problem with this. A case probably should provide some upward pressure to keep it more snug.

I will wait until more in depth reviews come out and see what people on this forum say before I am ready to move on from my S6.

• Like 1

The negative reviews are a bit surprising.  Just using the phone it seems fine.

The design of the phone is not the best and the dual camera is sort of gimmicky.

The quick swap battery capability is neat and the build quality seems fine to me.

Same here, I don't have any noticeable gap or issues otherwise with my device, at least thus far. Maybe ever so slightly on the light bleed but only because of curiosity based on people actually testing such a thing. If I hadn't ever read someone actually testing that, it would have never even been a thought in my mind - no average user is going to have a usage scenario where they would ever have that brought to their attention in the first place.

All this obsession over cosmetic minutia that mostly will be moot anyway once a case goes on the thing is absolutely hysterical to me. In the actual area of importance - performance - I love the G5 thus far.

I had considered getting the G5, though I never was impressed by the device. The only reason I wanted it was for the two great audio features being the bluetooth aptxhd and the B&O HiFi audio module, which from what I read, the audio module seems to be European-only and will only work on European devices. Somewhere I read that the module will not work connected with U.S. versions of the LG G5.

Meanwhile, I've been hearing some amazing things about the new HTC 10's audio features, which was a major concern to alot of HTC fans for a while. I've been trying to keep up on it, as a friend of mine is a big HTC fan and I know alot of others who are too. I'd hate to see a company so well liked with many loyal customers suddenly lose them because of negative changes to the most beloved feature. In HTC's case, its the audio/Boomsound. Fortunately though, HTC is indeed going to keep those features, and actually improving on them on the new device.

Back to the LG G5 though. I definitely don't want to sound negative about the device, and I'm glad some do like the device. However, I'm looking at this not so much that it is a bad phone, but rather is it worth flagship status for LG. Certainly it is a worthy midrange device, if LG were to price this to compete with the Moto X line, with the benefit of having a top-of-the line processor. Perhaps charging $450 for the device would be the perfect sweet selling spot for the LG G5, which buying the "Friends" modules to add to it would be worth it, which the modules added on would essentially turn the midrange-ness of the device into more of a flagship quality.

Yet, the LG G5 alone, without the modules, just isn't worth the over $600 price point to me. I just don't think it is going to sell well at that price and also might hinder the sales of those modules. The audio module based on the price currently selling in Europe, will be around $200-$250 if it ever gets sold in the U.S. That would make the spending cost between that and the LG G5 around $800-$850, much more than what the LG V10 cost when it was released, and that had a very good DAC already built-in. With that in mind, and the smaller screen size of the LG G5, the only advantages to the G5 over the V10 is the processor, and if the extra camera on back is more worthwhile than having that extra camera on front, along with the fact that the LG V10 isn't available on Sprint.

I hope that LG simply is using this starting point of the LG G5 as a market test for future products. Perhaps they will reduce the price down to $450, maybe $500 and it likely will sell better then. This could be a lead-in to what they might be planning with the V10 successor, experimenting what works and what doesn't with the G5 for whatever they plan to do with the V10 followup. If that is the case, I can understand their trying new things and not necessarily putting out their best effort with the G5, as then people would expect certain things from LG from now on, which LG might just not want to do. gain, a market research effort here by LG, and I'm sure they will make adjustments.

Just got the g5 today loving it so far.

• Like 1