2 year subsidy phone upgrades early warning info

dkyeager

I've used many subsidy upgrades, but my last two phones have been full purchase price.  For my family members, up until just 6 weeks ago, used subsidy upgrades.  They are a great way to get a "current" device at a discount, but paying for that discount with the contract and legacy plan.

The industry has changed, but Sprint has the CDMA noose hanging over them.  If Sprint was a GSM carrier, then this would be a non-issue as just about any device would be eligible for BYOD.  Due to Sprints CDMA network and boutique bands it makes it difficult to BYOD without a get deal of research and knowledge, then working with CS to get a proper SIM and activated.

Sprint has done an amazing job pulling themselves up and becoming a major player in the industry again.  I hope this doesn't come back to bite them in the ass, but they've been pushing the 0% financing/lease model for two years now.  I think the average customer is used to this already as all new customers in the last 18 months are on these plans.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be so bad if Sprint would occasionally offer 50% off on decent phones like Verizon has done. The Pixel 50% holiday offer was quite attractive.

I see the V20 has a 50% off offer but appears it is only for new lines.

It wouldn't be so bad if Sprint would occasionally offer 50% off on decent phones like Verizon has done occasionally. The Pixel 50% holiday offer was quite attractive.

Agreed they are going to have to do some offer like B1G1F or 50% off phones in a year and a half when I look for new deals on phones. Despite the commercials they are nowhere near the ballpark of Verizon, AT&T, or even T-mobile in some markets as far as coverage and data speed goes. So they need to at least meet the same deals other carriers are doing or beat them or they will start seeing a mass exodus again.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Edited by troyd96

I'm still annoyed that they blacklisted Sprint prepaid, virgin mobile, boost, and all inexpensive prepaid phones from postpaid. Worse is that I can get the boost lg x power for $99 on boost, but $250 on Sprint. Same phone. Same carrier. 250% higher prices for existing customers. Both T-Mobile and AT&T let prepaid variant phones be used on postpaid. Sprint explicitly blocks them. I sincerely hope they change things to retain customers. Their prices are ridiculous and there are never sales for existing customers.

• Like 3

It wouldn't be so bad if Sprint would occasionally offer 50% off on decent phones like Verizon has done. The Pixel 50% holiday offer was quite attractive.

The Bolt was 50% off, the G5 and V20 both had promos and the GS7 had BOGO for adding a line. I would like to see more sales, but they have already been doing them for a while. I also got my sister's old HTC M8 for 50% off six months after the phone came out, and I got credits when I bought my LivePro on easy pay the week it came out.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

I'm still annoyed that they blacklisted Sprint prepaid, virgin mobile, boost, and all inexpensive prepaid phones from postpaid. Worse is that I can get the boost lg x power for $99 on boost, but $250 on Sprint. Same phone. Same carrier. 250% higher prices for existing customers. Both T-Mobile and AT&T let prepaid variant phones be used on postpaid. Sprint explicitly blocks them. I sincerely hope they change things to retain customers. Their prices are ridiculous and there are never sales for existing customers.

I used to have at&t. I remember one time my phone decided to stop working in the middle of a 2 year contract. I couldn't walk into an at&t store and buy a $400 phone outright (college) so I did the next best thing; walked into Walmart and bought a 20 dollar GoPhone. Slipped my sim in and off I went. Who would have thought a greedy company such as At&t would allow such thing?

Well, can't do that with Sprint. They create so much unnecessary red tape for their own good. They should just get out of the BYOD game if they're going to be so damn strict about it. They're like soup Nazis for phones.

• Like 2

I'm still annoyed that they blacklisted Sprint prepaid, virgin mobile, boost, and all inexpensive prepaid phones from postpaid.

Most likely, that is at the behest of the prepaid MVNOs, which oft subsidize their prepaid handsets to a degree.  The prepaid MVNOs do not like it when people buy their handsets -- just to ship them overseas, resell them, or use them with other operators.  Some stores explicitly restrict mass purchases of prepaid handsets due to the aforementioned abuse of the system.

AJ

• Like 2

Is Trump CEO of Sprint now?

Spring a last minute, ill-advised surprise on people, and then walk it back once you realize it was a bad idea? :P

Boo boo! [emoji6]

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

My sister got a 2 year upgrade around the 17th. It was a pain because we were planning on using Costco and it was suddenly ended.

When our contracts end I will take a long hard look at what Verizon, Tmobile and AT&T are providing.

I have been a Sprint customer for around 7 years now. If they are no longer a good value for me and my family, we will move, period.

ED1500 + 2 year contracts were a good value. I do not think the current pricing plans are.

No hard feelings Sprint, but business is business.

But who knows, maybe things will be different. After all, I will be conducting a simple cost benefit assessment between the four companies. Maybe Sprint will still be the best value.

• Like 5

From the quarter reports, 29% of customers are on 2-year contracts.

Thats a lot of people -- of which a subset of that 29 percent may get upset.

I corrected your quote for you.

AJ

I think it is a fair assessment to say, that for the last more than 2 years non-contract services have been available, and heavily pushed by all the carriers, that a majority of those who are still on 2 year contracts, specifically chose that option.

It is not a great leap to say, that a great subset of those users would likewise choose to remain on contract, and if forcibly prevented from that option, would not be very happy.

Of course none of us have any inkling who or how upset anyone else besides our own selves would be, because after all, there is no  'upset factor' reported or recorded, other than perhaps churn. And even churn is not a great indicator because there are so many other factors that affect churn.

Like others, I knew from the beginning of the introduction of non-subsidized service, that the only ones to benefit will be the carriers. Non-subsidized service is and has been a bald-face money grab, and anyone who isn't upset about paying more for the same (or less) service, well I supposed they just don't care about saving money.

• Like 5

I think it is a fair assessment to say, that for the last more than 2 years non-contract services have been available, and heavily pushed by all the carriers, that a majority of those who are still on 2 year contracts, specifically chose that option.

Maybe.  But many people are lazy consumers.  They do not make conscious buying choices as much as they stick with what is familiar to them, regardless of pros and cons.

It is not a great leap to say, that a great subset of those users would likewise choose to remain on contract, and if forcibly prevented from that option, would not be very happy.

Maybe.  But not me.  I have been on a contract plan in some form or another all 17 of my years with Sprint.  However, I have used only five subsidized upgrades during that time.  And one of those was botched because of misunderstandings among Sprint, Best Buy, and myself.  Count four true subsidized upgrades in 17 years.  Contract subsidy has not been a good deal for me.  So, I will not be in that "great subset" who would "not be very happy" at the discontinuation of contract renewals.

Like others, I knew from the beginning of the introduction of non-subsidized service, that the only ones to benefit will be the carriers. Non-subsidized service is and has been a bald-face money grab, and anyone who isn't upset about paying more for the same (or less) service, well I supposed they just don't care about saving money.

That is hyperbole with little, if any substantiation.  Discontinuation of contract subsidy simply unbundles device from service -- and vice versa.  If you want to pay less, buy or lease a cheaper device and cut back your service from "unlimited" data to a tiered plan.  You have those choices available.  But if you are going to use more and more "unlimited" data and continue to buy flagship devices, then, yes, you are going to pay more for at least your "unlimited" data, as you well should.  Prices go up.  That is supply and demand.

AJ

If you want to pay less, buy or lease a cheaper device and cut back your service from "unlimited" data to a tiered plan.  You have those choices available.

Asterisk. T-Mobile already killed tiered data for new customers and it's entirely possible that Sprint may do the same down the road.

- Trip

Asterisk. T-Mobile already killed tiered data for new customers and it's entirely possible that Sprint may do the same down the road.

Not for prepaid, only postpaid?

AJ

If one doesn't care about roaming, I suppose.

On T-Mobile, what is this "roaming" of which you speak?  Pink or bust, baby.

AJ

Thats a very good point. Sprint has pushed non-contract options so heavily that many retail employees would lie to customers about having to switch to a lease or easy pay. I know last year I went to Best Buy to avoid the Sprint employees and even there he insisted on spending 10 minutes "educating" me on the benefits of dropping ED1500 and leasing. Bitch, I have a spreadhseet.

Honestly, the experience was very uncomfortable and if I had more time I would have simply ended the sale and done the transaction online (I was visiting my dad for a weekend and helping him out).

That fact that so many people pushed back is surprising.

That is hyperbole with little, if any substantiation.  Discontinuation of contract subsidy simply unbundles device from service -- and vice versa.  If you want to pay less, buy or lease a cheaper device and cut back your service from "unlimited" data to a tiered plan.  You have those choices available.  But if you are going to use more and more "unlimited" data and continue to buy flagship devices, then, yes, you are going to pay more for at least your "unlimited" data, as you well should.  Prices go up.  That is supply and demand.

The theory was that unbundling would push prices down because people would not want to spend $800, and would look at $400 alternatives.

I pointed out to you two years ago that bunding never existed in Europe, and prices never decreased.

I was right. Leasing/easy-pay hid the true price as well, especially with the carriers falsely claiming that they were offering cheaper plan prices.

The end result is that phones still cost $800, but prices have gone up for plans.

Also, the market for non-flagship phones has essentially collapsed. HTC? Sharp? Sony? Nokia? No one is biting.

It is Apple or Samsung or bust, with Google as a side attraction.

• Like 6

The theory was that unbundling would push prices down because people would not want to spend $800, and would look at $400 alternatives.

I pointed out to you two years ago that bunding never existed in Europe, and prices never decreased.

I was right. Leasing/easy-pay hid the true price as well, especially with the carriers falsely claiming that they were offering cheaper plan prices.

If you will, show me where I accounted for leases or installments.  I doubt that I did -- because I want the operators out of the consumer electronics retail business.

This is not popular with many here at S4GRU and elsewhere, but if you have to pay for a phone on installment, you cannot afford it.  You are in over your pay grade and instead should look at less expensive options.

AJ

because I want the operators out of the consumer electronics retail business.

Not going to happen. Operators love bloatware and most phone manufacturers have not made phones that support all domestic carriers. Even apple has moved away from full universal support for the iPhone7.

This is not popular with many here at S4GRU and elsewhere, but if you have to pay for a phone on installment, you cannot afford it. You are in over your pay grade and instead should look at less expensive options.

AJ

If the installment doesn't include any interest, can you blame people for passing up on paying a phone in full and instead paying a monthly fee?

I personally don't see an issue with installments. No different than people who use credit cards, go to school on loans, or buy cars using credit.

• Like 1