Samsung Galaxy S7 Rumors thread

bitslizer

If the S7E lives up to the rumour mill & has a bigger battery than my S6E, I'm so getting it launch day.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

If the S7E lives up to the rumour mill & has a bigger battery than my S6E, I'm so getting it launch day.

What's the selling point on the Edge - outside of the gee-whiz factor?

I have my GS4 in a speck case and love it.  I'd rather have a good case vs being able to see a curved screen edge.  Doesn't that create more of a potential for damage?

Any insight on what the benefit is that I'm missing?

====================

The first specification sheets for similar devices have gone up.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=9336&c=samsung_sm-g935v_galaxy_s7_edge_xlte_samsung_hero_2

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=9334&c=samsung_sm-g930f_galaxy_s7_lte-a_samsung_hero

What's the selling point on the Edge - outside of the gee-whiz factor?

I have my GS4 in a speck case and love it. I'd rather have a good case vs being able to see a curved screen edge. Doesn't that create more of a potential for damage?

Any insight on what the benefit is that I'm missing?

====================

The first specification sheets for similar devices have gone up.

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=9336&c=samsung_sm-g935v_galaxy_s7_edge_xlte_samsung_hero_2

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=9334&c=samsung_sm-g930f_galaxy_s7_lte-a_samsung_hero

It's for the sexy factor. It pleases my eyes when I take out & look at my phone and when I handle it. Like my preference for curvy women over chopstick-like figures. ????

I don't mind paying a price premium.

It's for the sexy factor. It pleases my eyes when I take out & look at my phone and when I handle it. Like my preference for curvy women over chopstick-like figures. ????

I don't mind paying a price premium.

I compare phones to multi-tools and Swiss army knives. Mine is a useful tool for getting things done, not art.

I'll skip that version then. Thanks.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

I compare phones to multi-tools and Swiss army knives. Mine is a useful tool for getting things done, not art.

I'll skip that version then. Thanks.

Each to his own. ????

I want best of both worlds - latest specs plus looks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Each to his own. ????

I want best of both worlds - latest specs plus looks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

There are more than two worlds. Durability is a big part of my world -far bigger than unique looks in a phone.

I perceive art as being at the expense of durability as it limits the use of armor. Outdoors and workshops aren't friendly to phone screens. Edge limits durability which isn't your world.

Thus my question. What is that opportunity cost? Asked and answered. I prefer durability over art. Functionality is no different unless you wish to change your answer.

There are more than two worlds. Durability is a big part of my world -far bigger than unique looks in a phone.

I perceive art as being at the expense of durability as it limits the use of armor. Outdoors and workshops aren't friendly to phone screens. Edge limits durability which isn't your world.

Thus my question. What is that opportunity cost? Asked and answered. I prefer durability over art. Functionality is no different unless you wish to change your answer.

Yea, I don't care for built-in "armor" and ruggedness. I did add a curved glass screen protector on the front & a film protector on the back for protection.

I don't look for art in a phone either. I like slick, futuristic-looking designs, which the S6E satisfied for me.

Yes.  I get that and already anticipated that.  Thus the original question:

"What's the selling point on the Edge - outside of the gee-whiz factor? "

My only takeaway is that nothing it does different is useful as a matter of operational practice and there is no other trade off for the increased danger to the screen being damaged.  I'm unintentionally abusive to phones because I use them so much.

After shattering the screen on my original GS4 (corner drop on pavement) and getting the phone replaced on the protection plan - I bought a Speck (RUBBER ARMOR) case and have had great luck ever since -even with multiple repeats of the event.  The replacement phone Sprint sent me was a half-assed refurb that I ended up personally replacing the USB port on and I should have replaced the less than perfect home button while I was at it.

I'd prefer to keep my next phone protected from the start so I don't have to replace it again and get another beat up unit.

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-CandyShell-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00BXE3IJM/ref=sr_1_8?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1451498646&sr=1-8&keywords=speck+samsung+galaxy+s4+case

Yes. I get that and already anticipated that. Thus the original question:

"What's the selling point on the Edge - outside of the gee-whiz factor? "

My only takeaway is that nothing it does different is useful as a matter of operational practice and there is no other trade off for the increased danger to the screen being damaged. I'm unintentionally abusive to phones because I use them so much.

After shattering the screen on my original GS4 (corner drop on pavement) and getting the phone replaced on the protection plan - I bought a Speck (RUBBER ARMOR) case and have had great luck ever since -even with multiple repeats of the event. The replacement phone Sprint sent me was a half-assed refurb that I ended up personally replacing the USB port on and I should have replaced the less than perfect home button while I was at it.

I'd prefer to keep my next phone protected from the start so I don't have to replace it again and get another beat up unit.

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-CandyShell-Samsung-Galaxy/dp/B00BXE3IJM/ref=sr_1_8?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1451498646&sr=1-8&keywords=speck+samsung+galaxy+s4+case

Not much extra functionality that most people probably don't care for. Everyone I know personally who has the S6E, got it for aesthetic reasons only.

Per sammobile, the upcoming M update is supposed to bring more functionality for the Edge but it probably won't lure in people who look for function over form.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2016/01/01/android-news-digest-galaxy-s7-leak-phablet/

Has the fcc gotten more privacy minded? Wouldn't this need to have hit by now for a U.S. release in Feb/March?

IIRC, Apple has it set up to where it only shows up in the FCC docs after they announce the device.

Sent from my Nexus 5X

I'm digging the 3K battery.  I wonder how it'll fair though.  If it's anything like the Note 5, we have nothing to worry about.  I'm curious about the AMOLED and if they've made any additional improvements since the last model.  I personally prefer LCD due to the lack of screen-burn, but AMOLED is very pretty and the colors/blacks are perfect imo.

I'm digging the 3K battery.  I wonder how it'll fair though.  If it's anything like the Note 5, we have nothing to worry about.  I'm curious about the AMOLED and if they've made any additional improvements since the last model.  I personally prefer LCD due to the lack of screen-burn, but AMOLED is very pretty and the colors/blacks are perfect imo.

I'm loving the SD card support.  I can stick all my maintenance manuals and parts catalogs on there and still have room in phone for all my favorite frivolous apps and their space sucking data too.  Still, I want 8gb ram vs 4.  Still too anemic for all the apps that want to run in the background.  Both Sammy and Android OS will bloat just like Microsoft Windoze and take up more than its fair share.  Might as well be proactive.

I'm loving the SD card support.  I can stick all my maintenance manuals and parts catalogs on there and still have room in phone for all my favorite frivolous apps and their space sucking data too.  Still, I want 8gb ram vs 4.  Still too anemic for all the apps that want to run in the background.  Both Sammy and Android OS will bloat just like Microsoft Windoze and take up more than its fair share.  Might as well be proactive.

Man, I think 4GB is more than enough, but I'm on a 1080p screen running 2GB on a Nexus, with literally no bloat, aside from Google's Apps.  I wouldn't mind 8GB, but I think it's too soon to expect manufacturers to put that much ram into a compact size.

Man, I think 4GB is more than enough, but I'm on a 1080p screen running 2GB on a Nexus, with literally no bloat, aside from Google's Apps. I wouldn't mind 8GB, but I think it's too soon to expect manufacturers to put that much ram into a compact size.

Yea, I think 6GB will come first before 8GB does.

Yea, I think 6GB will come first before 8GB does.

I'm not predicting, I'm not guessing.  I'm simply saying that I would prefer they jump straight to bigger memory based on the fact that I can *easily* overtax my current GS4T and too many apps like to run in the background, monitor the world and notify about every little thing.  The designers aren't keeping pace with the apps and crazy power users.

I want 8gb ram vs 4.  Still too anemic for all the apps that want to run in the background.  Both Sammy and Android OS will bloat just like Microsoft Windoze and take up more than its fair share.  Might as well be proactive.

This is a chicken or the egg type of situation.  RAM size "bloat" is a thing, too.  It just allows the programmers to be lazy and/or go overboard with memory usage.

AJ

• Like 1

This is a chicken or the egg type of situation. RAM size "bloat" is a thing, too. It just allows the programmers to be lazy and/or go overboard with memory usage.

AJ

Absolutely. But a phone manufacturer can control memory availability, not programmers or how many apps are installed. Unless you're fascist Apple.

Model numbers

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-s7-edge-find-out-which-country-carrier-variants-will-receive-2189262

The model numbers of the Sprint Galaxy S7 and Sprint Galaxy S7 Edge are SM-G930P and SM-G935P.

Not guaranteed...

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/11/16/rumored-model-numbers-for-snapdragon-820-and-exynos-8890-powered-galaxy-s7-and-galaxy-s7-edge/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...