Samsung Galaxy S7 Rumors thread

bitslizer

Most current rumors says that Samsung will be switching back to the Quaulcomm for USA, Exynos elsewhere strategy for the S7

Qualcomm have formally announced the SnapDragon 820, which support 3x20mhz CA download and 2x20mhz CA upload

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/snapdragon/processors/820

This will probably be the first phone on Sprint to support 3x B41 CA

• Like 1

I guess Samsung decided against Never Going Back Again to Qualcomm and would break The Chain of Exynos only powered phones.

I say both parties should just Go Your Own Way.

0xjTeTB.jpg?1

• Like 1

Had no idea where to post this! but 3x20...

Both the Snapdragon 808 and 810 already supported 3x CA aggregated 60 MHz FDD/TDD.  The Snapdragon X10 LTE baseband was not the limiting factor.  However, 2x CA used only one RF transceiver, while 3x CA required a second RF transceiver.  Unless that requirement has changed, then the Snapdragon 820 with Snapdragon X12 LTE baseband is little different from its predecessors on the 3x CA front.  So, do not get overly excited.

AJ

Both the Snapdragon 808 and 810 already supported 3x CA aggregated 60 MHz FDD/TDD.  The Snapdragon X10 LTE baseband was not the limiting factor.  However, 2x CA used only one RF transceiver, while 3x CA required a second RF transceiver.  Unless that requirement has changed, then the Snapdragon 820 with Snapdragon X12 LTE baseband is little different from its predecessors on the 3x CA front.  So, do not get overly excited.

AJ

To add to this, Qualcomm has implemented a number of new technologies to their modems, but Sprint's complex setup with triband often leaves them limited.  For example, Envelope Tracking hasn't been in a Sprint device yet, but it came out back in I believe 2013.

• Like 1

Wonder if the screen size will stay the same.  Probably since Samsung released a Note-like S6+ Edge.

The G4 for example is about the size of a Note.

I think Samsung is smart to leave things the way they are and not try to experiment with larger sizes of the regular Galaxy series.  Samsung realized that the 5.7 inch size is the absolute maximum screen size for the Note series and anything bigger than 5.7 inch doesn't tend to do that well (ex: LG G Pro 2, Nexus 6, etc).

Samsung wants to maintain that 3 devices difference between the Galaxy, Galaxy Note and Edge series.  Making the Galaxy phone bigger in screen size would just close the gap between the Note and Edge devices making the Note and Edge less relevant.  Perhaps Samsung could bump it to 5.2 inches to be similar to the Nexus 5P and LG G2 but I doubt it.

Samsung announcing that Exynos now will have an LTE 12/13 modem built into their SoC.  Maybe they will stay in house.

If exclusively so, then there will be no Sprint variant Samsung Galaxy S7.  Sprint will be left out.  VZW, AT&T, and T-Mobile will get their variant(s) -- with VZW voice service VoLTE only, as in the HTC One A9.

AJ

SamMobile rumor report CDMA carriers to use Qualcomm, everybody else use Exynos.

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/11/16/rumored-model-numbers-for-snapdragon-820-and-exynos-8890-powered-galaxy-s7-and-galaxy-s7-edge/

Snapdragon 820

Verizon - SM-G930V and SM-G935V
Sprint - SM-G930P and SM-G935P
US Cellular - SM-G930R4 and SM-G935R4
China - SM-G9300 and SM-G9350 models

Exynos 8890

International unlocked - SM-G930F and SM-G935F
T-Mobile - SM-G930T and SM-G935T
AT&T - SM-G930A and SM-G935A
Canada - SM-G930W8 and SM-G935W8
Korean versions - SM-G930 S/K/L and SM-G935 S/K/L, depending on the carrier
  • Like 1

I bet Samsung will use Qualcomm modems anyways.  Unless the specified cat 13 modem in the Exynos is a Samsung one?  Doubtful.

it is a samsung modem call shannon

• 3 weeks later...

Samsung announcing that Exynos now will have an LTE 12/13 modem built into their SoC.  Maybe they will stay in house.

I think Samsung using the Exynos chip in for the US variants was just a one off situation due to the initial batch of Snapdragon 810 chips that had power consumption issues.  By the time the Snapdragon v2.1 was available for general release it was already too late for them.  I expect Samsung to rejoin with Qualcomm just because the US still uses CDMA on 2 of its big 4 carriers.

• Like 1

I think Samsung using the Exynos chip in for the US variants was just a one off situation due to the initial batch of Snapdragon 810 chips that had power consumption issues. By the time the Snapdragon v2.1 was available for general release it was already too late for them. I expect Samsung to rejoin with Qualcomm just because the US still uses CDMA on 2 of its big 4 carriers.

I expect Exynos SoC and Qualcomm MDM9645. That is my bet.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I expect Exynos SoC and Qualcomm MDM9645. That is my bet.

I will join that bet for VZW and Sprint, not for AT&T and T-Mobile.

AJ

I will join that bet for VZW and Sprint, not for AT&T and T-Mobile.

AJ

Come think of it, you're right, given Shannon 333 was the AT&T and T-Mobile baseband for the S6 class of devices.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Come think of it, you're right, given Shannon 333 was the AT&T and T-Mobile baseband for the S6 class of devices.

Little known fact, the Shannon baseband was named after Shannon Doherty. Or maybe it was Shannon Tweed.  Shannon Sharpe?

AJ

• Like 1

So, when does everybody think the GS7 will be released?  From rumors I've read on the web, I'm thinking Feb.

Sounding like March based on current latest rumor/news

• 2 weeks later...