Say goodbye to the spinning Walmart Icon [Sprint retiring spark icon]

lilotimz

From ze reddits..

The icons will be 3G for 3G, LTE for Spark & 4G, and R for roaming. 1x will still display as 3G. There will be no band specification.

Software updates currently in progress will remove the Sprint Spark icon + LTE (spinning sun) and 3G spinning traffic indicators from the status bar of Spark-capable devices. These devices still have Sprint Spark LTE capabilities -- they will just have different icons.

The change aligns the user experience seen in Android Lollipop for Android devices.

No service is indicated in the status bar by a hollow RSSI bar icon.

If the device has not been authenticated, an exclamation mark displays in the RSSI bars.

• Like 13

I liked the spinning Windmill as Son Called it. "In Japan we have the Spinning Windmill Everywhere."

It's like if you fastened the center of the Pin Drop logo to a center-point and started a game of crack the Whip.

Maybe this is a hopeful sign of GSM Roaming?

• Like 1

Really? All the problems some phones (M9 specifically) are having in areas like California and this is what they are worried about?

:td:

• Like 1

Really? All the problems some phones (M9 specifically) are having in areas like California and this is what they are worried about?

:td:

I'm not sure they are worried about it.  But it was probably the least popular thing Sprint has ever done in programming and carrier customization.  And it's easy to correct.  It's just an icon update to each device.  Uses very little resources to change.

Any idea why they are retiring it? 

What kind of business decision would prompt a company to go from something unique to something normal?

It really made precious little sense and looked sort of, well, cheap.  At a time when all carriers are using multiple bands of LTE, branding Sprint's as something unique is no longer valid.  Hence, in my mind at least, the reason for the change.  It's no longer a selling point (as in, it is no longer unique, I mean).  

Band 41, however, is (especially with CA).

Good riddens.
*riddance 
It's a Chicago thing to say it that way, you wouldn't understand. [emoji6]

Riddens.  Bears.  Bulls.  Polish sausage.  Bears.  Ditka.  Bears.

AJ

• Like 5

Riddens.  Bears.  Bulls.  Polish sausage.  Bears.  Ditka.  Bears.

Deep dish pizza.  Mmmmmm...

I have done Gino's East and Giordano's.  But the next time that I am in Chicago and can make it out to Morton Grove, I want to try Burt's Place.  Or if I cannot venture that far from the Near North Side where I usually stay at The Drake, I will do Pequod's Pizzeria, which Burt used to own.  There is a Pequod's location in Lincoln Park.

082608burtsveggiepizza%283%29.jpg

And the food zombie apocalypse continues to overrun S4GRU...

AJ

• Like 3

I have done Gino's East and Giordano's.  But the next time that I am in Chicago and can make it out to Morton Grove, I want to try Burt's Place.  Or if I cannot venture that far from the Near North Side where I usually stay at The Drake, I will do Pequod's Pizzeria, which Burt used to own.  There is a Pequod's location in Lincoln Park.

082608burtsveggiepizza%283%29.jpg

And the food zombie apocalypse continues to overrun S4GRU...

AJ

That looks like one gigantic, messy pile of pure deliciousness.  I usually stay with friends near Wrigley Field when I'm in town.  I'll have to check out one of your recommendations next time I'm up that way - likely around Halloween. 

I think the spinning logo was confusing people. I always saw on various forums people saying "I should have spark; I have that little spinning thingy." Plus, it was annoying.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

That looks like one gigantic, messy pile of pure deliciousness.  I usually stay with friends near Wrigley Field when I'm in town.  I'll have to check out one of your recommendations next time I'm up that way - likely around Halloween. 

If you stay with friends near Wrigley Field, you still have quite a ways to go northwest to Morton Grove, but you are very close to Lincoln Park.

AJ