Rumor: HTC to announce new phone on Sept. 6th

cletus

Yes, the rumor is almost certainly true.  S4GRU staff have inside knowledge directly from HTC about an upcoming handset, but due to non disclosure agreement, that is all we can reveal at this time.

AJ

• Like 1

The only thing that really looks like an eye-sore, according to the leaked specs, would be the SoC.  MediaTek.  HTC will likely have a cheaper phone, but the performance and battery life of MediaTek processors often lack compared to its competitors.  But if priced correctly, it may be a contender.

Yes, the rumor is almost certainly true.  S4GRU staff have inside knowledge directly from HTC about an upcoming handset, but due to non disclosure agreement, that is all we can reveal at this time.

AJ

From what I'm seeing on Reddit, it'll be coming to Sprint and AT&T at least.  No idea on the other carriers.

The only thing that really looks like an eye-sore, according to the leaked specs, would be the SoC.  MediaTek.  HTC will likely have a cheaper phone, but the performance and battery life of MediaTek processors often lack compared to its competitors.  But if priced correctly, it may be a contender.

Agreed. To echo a reddit user here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3j857c/rumor_htc_to_announce_new_phone_on_sept_6th/

If they put the Mediatek chip in here they might as well file bankruptcy right now

• Like 1

AJ

Can a Mediatek CPU be paired with a Qualcomm Modem?

Agreed. To echo a reddit user:

[–]jwyche005

If they put the Mediatek chip in here they might as well file bankruptcy right now.

They're likely trying to cut costs to keep a healthy profit ratio.  I'm actually quite disappointed they've infested my current handset with advertisements.  (Luckily I have root so it's not an issue.)  But others that aren't tech savvy now have ads on their homescreens and pulldown bars!

Can a Mediatek CPU be paired with a Qualcomm Modem?

Sure.  Why not?  The whole Qualcomm "Fusion" thing is gone.  The baseband is self contained, so it does not need to be paired with a Qualcomm processor.  For example, the recent Samsung Galaxy handsets have all had Samsung SoCs with Snapdragon X7 LTE (MDM9635) basebands.

AJ

• Like 2

They're likely trying to cut costs to keep a healthy profit ratio.  I'm actually quite disappointed they've infested my current handset with advertisements.  (Luckily I have root so it's not an issue.)  But others that aren't tech savvy now have ads on their homescreens and pulldown bars!

The issue is one of market perception: Even SAMSUNG has problems with people who try and compare Snapdragon vs exynos chips, etc. I hate to say it but if HTC wants to bring itself back into revelancy it has to make a comparably great device to the current flagships and it has a smallish window before the SD820 are put into the next gen phones to capitalize on perceived quality before being relegated to being considered "past gen"

Edit: What'd be amazing is if HTC released a stock android phone with great build quality and some of the features the next Nexus 5 will not have like SD card slot, better camera. Wishful thinking because they will slap some HTC carousel weirdness onto the phone but one can always hope, right? 

• Like 1

Its actually easy to remove the ads without root. All you do is goto blinkfeed settings and uncheck the box that says ads and bam, no more ads.

They're likely trying to cut costs to keep a healthy profit ratio. I'm actually quite disappointed they've infested my current handset with advertisements. (Luckily I have root so it's not an issue.) But others that aren't tech savvy now have ads on their homescreens and pulldown bars!

Its actually easy to remove the ads without root. All you do is goto blinkfeed settings and uncheck the box that says ads and bam, no more ads.

I thought they were in the process of adding that toggle. Didn't know it was already added. I uninstalled htc blinkfeed Launcher so I can't check.

Sent from my M8

Its there, reinstall blinkfeed uncheck it and uninstall it. What i did on an M8. Worked out perfect.

I thought they were in the process of adding that toggle. Didn't know it was already added. I uninstalled htc blinkfeed Launcher so I can't check.

Sent from my M8

• Like 1