Anyone surprised Sprint hasn't announced the Galaxy Nexus release date/preorder date yet?

ericdabbs

Pre-order sold out! Our Galaxy Nexus pre-order inventory has been spoken for. Check back on April 22 for the national launch.

Amazed they sold out...

That was fast!

Sent from Joshs Evo Shift using Forum Runner

Pre-order sold out! Our Galaxy Nexus pre-order inventory has been spoken for. Check back on April 22 for the national launch.

Amazed they sold out...

I would have preordered it.

I wonder if the Sprint version will have the qualcomm radio?

My phone does say "qualcomm 4G" on the bottom near the charging port. Is that on the Verizon version?

Yes, after a quick google search, qualcomm 4g sticker is on the verizon version as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that Samsung was using an off-brand radio and and a good chunk of Verizon users were complaining about reception issues. There was some debate on other sites that Samsung would use a different radio to fix the issue. Perhaps that was lumped in with the other rumors about the Gnex getting an uprated processor and camera.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that Samsung was using an off-brand radio and and a good chunk of Verizon users were complaining about reception issues. There was some debate on other sites that Samsung would use a different radio to fix the issue. Perhaps that was lumped in with the other rumors about the Gnex getting an uprated processor and camera.

yeah, it uses a VIA CDMA chip and a Samsung LTE chip

Not sure why they have to put a qualcomm sticker on every phone...

yeah, it uses a VIA CDMA chip and a Samsung LTE chip

Not sure why they have to put a qualcomm sticker on every phone...

Qualcomm invented CDMA and anybody's CDMA modem must pay Qualcomm royalties. It's one of the reasons CDMA didn't take over globally despite its superiority over GSM. It's bad news that the Sprint version still has that VIA chip-- it gives poorer CDMA connections in marginal (-90 dBm and below) signal areas. There were numerous complaints with the Verizon version, but Sprint has even more marginal to poor signal areas since its 1x carriers are all on PCS (right now at least) instead of Cellular 850.

Qualcomm invented CDMA and anybody's CDMA modem must pay Qualcomm royalties. It's one of the reasons CDMA didn't take over globally despite its superiority over GSM. It's bad news that the Sprint version still has that VIA chip-- it gives poorer CDMA connections in marginal (-90 dBm and below) signal areas. There were numerous complaints with the Verizon version, but Sprint has even more marginal to poor signal areas since its 1x carriers are all on PCS (right now at least) instead of Cellular 850.

I'd like to see the proof that the LTE chip actually gets poorer CDMA connections. Sounds like rumormongering.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I'd like to see the proof that the LTE chip actually gets poorer CDMA connections. Sounds like rumormongering.

It's not the LTE chip that is an issue-- the Nexus uses Samsung's CMC221 for that task... it is the CDMA (1x/EVDO) 3G chip that has an issue. And a friend of mine who works for Verizon confirmed that they did have slightly more reception issues with the GNex on 3G / 1x versus the HTC and Moto handsets. Compare your 3G CDMA signal strength with an HTC or Moto handset on Verizon in the same spot and you'll see a couple (1 - 5) dBm worse signal on average.

The LTE chip (CMC221) has nothing at all to do with your CDMA connections. On the GNex that comes from the Via Telecom CBP 7.1 which provides the 3G EVDO and 1x CDMA voice connection. This chip was also used on the Droid Charge and both handsets have a ton of posts documenting user issues with the CDMA signal quality on these handsets-- this is old news. The LTE performance of the GNex is top notch.

Her CDMA RSSI was slightly higher but I suspect it was from a higher Ec/Io number on the nexus. Also, it almost looked like we were connected to different towers.

Her CDMA RSSI was slightly higher but I suspect it was from a higher Ec/Io number on the nexus. Also, it almost looked like we were connected to different towers.

Do more comparisons in many other places side-by-side. On average, you'll find the Samsung will tend to have a lower signal strength on CDMA / 3G. Perhaps not ALWAYS, but typically. I really wanted to get a GNex over my RAZR MAXX, but there is NO way I'll ever have a non-Qualcomm chip handling my calls-- the LTE data I'm not as particular about.

Do more comparisons in many other places side-by-side. On average, you'll find the Samsung will tend to have a lower signal strength on CDMA / 3G. Perhaps not ALWAYS, but typically. I really wanted to get a GNex over my RAZR MAXX, but there is NO way I'll ever have a non-Qualcomm chip handling my calls-- the LTE data I'm not as particular about.

Totally agree on that!

I'll try to remember