iPhone 6S/6S Plus User Thread

MacinJosh

I know every "trick of the trade" in terms of battery analysis, believe me. I could write a book on it. At this point, something has gone haywire with the battery stats function of my phone as apps seem to arbitrarily jump all around - today my Mail app has hovered between 45-60% of my usage, even though I've used the app for maybe two minutes. Yesterday, Siri ate up 11%, didn't use Siri once. These ambiguous and arbitrary stats are yet another cause for me to think something is wrong with the device. In fact, the 90 seconds it took me to write this reply ate up 5% of my battery. By no means is it earth shattering, but it's freaking driving me nuts.

Like I said, make a Genius appointment and take it to the Apple Store and have them run the battery diagnostics on it. They're software can collect a lot more information about the battery's state than we can ascertain on non-jailbroken devices. There's only so much publicly available info that we can collect on our batteries without their diagnostic tools.

-Anthony

Like I said, make a Genius appointment and take it to the Apple Store and have them run the battery diagnostics on it. They're software can collect a lot more information about the battery's state than we can ascertain on non-jailbroken devices. There's only so much publicly available info that we can collect on our batteries without their diagnostic tools.

-Anthony

I already did about two weeks ago; the battery passed their initial physical diagnostics tests but because I performed a DFU Restore the night before they said they didn't have enough information to give an in depth historical analysis on the behavior of the software. Again, another reason this has been so frustrating for me. The wise thing would be to just wait it out and see if a software update would fix things, but I'm seriously willing to pay $80 for a replacement battery based on one anecdotal data point from another S4GRU member. It's only one data point, but points to a hardware solution rather than software (I've already updated to 10.2 and no difference in my results).

I already did about two weeks ago; the battery passed their initial physical diagnostics tests but because I performed a DFU Restore the night before they said they didn't have enough information to give an in depth historical analysis on the behavior of the software. Again, another reason this has been so frustrating for me. The wise thing would be to just wait it out and see if a software update would fix things, but I'm seriously willing to pay $80 for a replacement battery based on one anecdotal data point from another S4GRU member. It's only one data point, but points to a hardware solution rather than software (I've already updated to 10.2 and no difference in my results).

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with it. :( I know how frustrating it can be. I was having a similar problem a week or two ago while running one of the betas and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong. I restored and that seemed to fix it for all of two days or so, then it was right back to draining quickly. Eventually another iOS 10.2 beta came put and fixed the issue. Apple just released iOS 10.2.1 to beta testers so hopefully that will be out soon and can hopefully solve your problem.

-Anthony

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with it. :( I know how frustrating it can be. I was having a similar problem a week or two ago while running one of the betas and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong. I restored and that seemed to fix it for all of two days or so, then it was right back to draining quickly. Eventually another iOS 10.2 beta came put and fixed the issue. Apple just released iOS 10.2.1 to beta testers so hopefully that will be out soon and can hopefully solve your problem.

-Anthony

Well, here's another classic Apple customer service story. I was leaving on a business trip last night and decided to swing into my Apple a store on the way out of town just to see what if anything they could do - it was 8:36 when I walked in (and they close at 9). They Immediately got me to a genius who listened intently to my situation - I had even printed my detailed spreadsheet out which I was using to track my data. He took my phone and my spreadsheet into the back to talk to his boss and came back with the solution that they could replace the entire phone for the cost of a battery. I was actually blown away - so I walked out at 8:55 with a brand new iPhone for $79+tax.

Side note, just to prove that I'm cursed, the first thing I checked was the manufacturer of the chip, and sure enough it's a Samsung....son-of-a! In all seriousness I think the Samsung vs TSMC debate was a bit over hyped.....at least that's what I'm telling myself now. I have a fresh new 90 day warranty on this puppy though if anything goes South....

• Like 1

Earlier this year when I got a replacement for my 6s Plus I ended up with a Samsung chip and haven't noticed much difference in battery compared to the TSMC chip I had in my first one. I think it was overhyped. In fact, overall I think this phone stays cooler than my first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, here's another classic Apple customer service story. I was leaving on a business trip last night and decided to swing into my Apple a store on the way out of town just to see what if anything they could do - it was 8:36 when I walked in (and they close at 9). They Immediately got me to a genius who listened intently to my situation - I had even printed my detailed spreadsheet out which I was using to track my data. He took my phone and my spreadsheet into the back to talk to his boss and came back with the solution that they could replace the entire phone for the cost of a battery. I was actually blown away - so I walked out at 8:55 with a brand new iPhone for $79+tax.

Glad they got it all sorted out! Hopefully you don't have any problems with this one.

-Anthony

• Like 1

Earlier this year when I got a replacement for my 6s Plus I ended up with a Samsung chip and haven't noticed much difference in battery compared to the TSMC chip I had in my first one. I think it was overhyped. In fact, overall I think this phone stays cooler than my first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I also don't think there's any difference. Often I have to remind myself that I got a new (TSMC) replacement because the battery just doesn't last...

Edit: does this seem OK to you guys?

5a60f15089a6cdcbedfd69dfcbd1b665.jpg

bdd92252820a50e9f61019168424fa41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also don't think there's any difference. Often I have to remind myself that I got a new (TSMC) replacement because the battery just doesn't last...

Edit: does this seem OK to you guys?

5a60f15089a6cdcbedfd69dfcbd1b665.jpg

bdd92252820a50e9f61019168424fa41.jpg

Unfortunately that looks like the usage I was getting the past few months when I finally took my phone in to the Apple Store last Wednesday. It's frustrating because the phone is still usable and maybe to some people the battery drain isn't that noticeable, but for the sake of comparison here's the usage I got this weekend (keep in mind this phone is literally three days old - I could very easily be afflicted with the battery usage bug at any point......)

d616d1a637e2a7c8dc29789f2eb11287.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've now turned off Background Refresh permanently for testing. It made no difference. I'm continuously getting 6 hours standby and 4 hours usage...

Do I return the phone *again* or just resign myself to crappy battery life until I can't stand it anymore and upgrade?

I've now turned off Background Refresh permanently for testing. It made no difference. I'm continuously getting 6 hours standby and 4 hours usage...

Do I return the phone *again* or just resign myself to crappy battery life until I can't stand it anymore and upgrade?

If turning off things like Background App Refresh and doing other things, like restoring, hasn't fixed this issue, then I would see if you can take it back and get a new device. That isn't normal battery life for that device.

-Anthony

EDIT: Also, how much are you using Tapatalk? It could be going rogue and causing excessive battery drain. I would try deleting it and seeing if that helps your battery life.

• Like 1

Small update: I'm getting 4-5 hours use with Background Refresh permanently off. I've also noticed battery drain at night e.g. 13% left when I turn in and the phone is dead when I wake up.

I'm really starting to struggle. Today I stated work at 9am and by 2pm my phone had died.

Can other 6S users please post screenshots of their battery usage? This will give me more ammo when I go back to my local Apple store.

ba8554e7a3f36a7565c4e58248ae803d.jpg

ce232fdc8882da83a5f58e33eac39751.jpg

Small update: I'm getting 4-5 hours use with Background Refresh permanently off. I've also noticed battery drain at night e.g. 13% left when I turn in and the phone is dead when I wake up.

I'm really starting to struggle. Today I stated work at 9am and by 2pm my phone had died.

Can other 6S users please post screenshots of their battery usage? This will give me more ammo when I go back to my local Apple store.

ba8554e7a3f36a7565c4e58248ae803d.jpg

ce232fdc8882da83a5f58e33eac39751.jpg

Hey,

From the screen shots you posted, I see three different signals, TelKom LTE, TelKom 3G and MTN-SA 3G.  A couple of questions since I do not know the carriers in South Africa.

1. Are you roaming if you are on one of the carriers?  Roaming has an affect on my battery since it is looking for native service.

2. How much time are you on 3G versus LTE?  If I am on 3G with Sprint, my phone battery depletes much more quickly than on LTE.

• Like 2

Hey,

From the screen shots you posted, I see three different signals, TelKom LTE, TelKom 3G and MTN-SA 3G.  A couple of questions since I do not know the carriers in South Africa.

1. Are you roaming if you are on one of the carriers?  Roaming has an affect on my battery since it is looking for native service.

2. How much time are you on 3G versus LTE?  If I am on 3G with Sprint, my phone battery depletes much more quickly than on LTE.

Also, are you in low-signal areas too while at work? Your battery will die relatively quickly if you're in a low-signal area, along with if you are roaming, like Steve said.

-Anthony

Hey,

From the screen shots you posted, I see three different signals, TelKom LTE, TelKom 3G and MTN-SA 3G. A couple of questions since I do not know the carriers in South Africa.

1. Are you roaming if you are on one of the carriers? Roaming has an affect on my battery since it is looking for native service.

2. How much time are you on 3G versus LTE? If I am on 3G with Sprint, my phone battery depletes much more quickly than on LTE.

@Steve Dean thanks for the reply!

Your observations are correct. My primary network is Telkom but I also roam to MTN.

Telkom LTE signal at my workplace is almost nonexistent so I get 3G for most of the day. I'll get 3 bars at best.

If move away from my window desk, things get interesting with my phone fighting to stay on Telkom 3G but eventually relenting to roam on MTN.

Once I leave work, I have mostly full Telkom LTE.

Also, are you in low-signal areas too while at work? Your battery will die relatively quickly if you're in a low-signal area, along with if you are roaming, like Steve said.

-Anthony

Hey Anthony!

That's an affirmative. However, it has improved since last year for whatever reason. I don't get any "low signal" stats when using the Battery menu.

Edit: just checked and a few apps are showing low signal.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Taken a while to find time to experiment. What I did was force my phone to roam permanently on the stronger sister network so no more low signal reports. Also no roaming back and forth.

I managed 10 hours all in all, 4 of which were actual usage.

Do you guys think this is acceptable or do I still have a possible issue on my hands?

It just seems unlikely that swapping out my phone *again* would yield different results.

7cef270f20c479b9832369b9b52bf54b.jpg

e21b1a424b72ddafa39e6968bf64ea55.jpg

05df4a8c1ee1a993b25e1bbdf571b2c1.jpg

I went back and reviewed my old posts and can see how bad things were before. I forgot about the old phone switching off at 20%.

I believe that you are doing pretty well considering.

I do keep an external battery in my work carry bag just in case the battery goes below 10%.  There are many on the market to choose from.  I just never know when it will be need and has come in handy with airport travel delays.

• Like 1

"Taken a while to find time to experiment. What I did was force my phone to roam permanently on the stronger sister network so no more low signal reports. Also no roaming back and forth.

I managed 10 hours all in all, 4 of which were actual usage.

Do you guys think this is acceptable or do I still have a possible issue on my hands?

It just seems unlikely that swapping out my phone *again* would yield different results.

I went back and reviewed my old posts and can see how bad things were before. I forgot about the old phone switching off at 20%."

Unfortunately I think you've still got the iOS 10.1.1 (or above) battery drain bug. I had those similar results - it's not so bad that the phone is useless, and many may not even notice, but with mild / little "use" you should be getting 1-3% per hour battery drain per hour. At 40% use (4 out of 10 hours), you should see 5-7% battery drain per hour. You're getting just under 10% per hour which is not normal. Of course this is all based on my own testing and also depends on what you were doing for those 4 hours (watching video or playing games certainly drains more quickly). I am OCD enough that it was driving me crazy, and when I took my phone in Apple was good enough to swap the entire device out for the cost of a new battery ($80 USD) since I was out of warranty. Fortunately the replacement came with iOS 10.1 and I am refusing to update my software until I know the new version has fixed this battery issue. For reference, my phone has been on Standby for 9 hrs 34 minutes and used for 3 hours 33 minutes and I'm at 68% right now. Almost identical usage / standby as your example, yet I have 63% more life left.

If you're ok with how your phone is functioning and don't mind carrying a backup battery around, I'm fairly confident this battery issue will be fixed with a future software update. I've been following a number of threads on MacRumors about the beta versions up to 10.3 beta 2, and as of yet users are reporting similar battery issues. It seems to plague 6s/+ and 6/+ users more than 7/+, but the issue is still prevalent.

• Like 1

Got this result over the weekend which I was quite impressed with:

cbf4cb6c00bd72f1dabb3f25adfd3b6f.jpg

49f080a62df57e724691316e6b986ff5.jpg

If it's a software issue then I'll have to patiently wait. I certainly don't want to exchange the device again if it's of no real use to do so. (Still have iCare until November 2017)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but ever since updating to iOS 10.3.1, my phone has held on to weak LTE much better than before. I'm in Seattle, an IBEZ market (no 800) and my phone has been comfortably holding B25 down to -125 or -126 all day. Very impressed!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but ever since updating to iOS 10.3.1, my phone has held on to weak LTE much better than before. I'm in Seattle, an IBEZ market (no 800) and my phone has been comfortably holding B25 down to -125 or -126 all day. Very impressed!

So that would explain why my phone has been holding onto LTE for dear life lately, even if faster 3G is available. I assume the constant switching wasn't good for the phone's battery life, but I'm not the biggest fan of having to do it manually now.