Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

Note5_01.png

Model Name: Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Model Number: SM-N920P

Processor: 2.7 GHz Quad-core Processor

Display: Quad HD+ Super AMOLED

• 5.7 inches Quad HD+ Super AMOLED / 2560 x (1400+160)

Cellular Bands:
LTE

• Band 2 (PCS A-F)
  • Band 4 (AWS)
  • Band 5 (CLR 850)
  • Band 12 (Lower 700 A-C)
  • Band 25 (PCS A-G)
  • Band 26 (ESMR 800 + CLR 850)
  • Band 41 (BRS/EBS 2600)

CDMA:

• Band Class 0
  • Band Class 1
  • Band Class 10

GSM/W-CDMA:

• GSM 850/1900
  • W-CDMA Bands 2/5

Wireless:

• 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi
  • Bluetooth 4.1 wireless technology
  • NFC

Notes:

• Sprint Spark
  • Sprint Direct Connect Now
  • HD Voice
  • Wi-Fi Calling
  • Band 41 Carrier Aggregation certified
  • Fully CCA/RRPP Compliant
  • Currently no Sprint VoLTE capabilities
  • No SVLTE (Spark devices don't support SVLTE)

Link to Wall article.

Link to Rumor thread.

FCC Source: A3LSMG920P

• 9 months later...

Battery seems to be good. I'm at 6h 27m on battery with 4h 20m of SOT and my battery is at 40%. AC WiFi is pretty good in my house as well. N is good, but I don't have to drop down to N unless I'm out in my driveway.

I mentioned this in the rumor thread, but I haven't had any signal issues, either. Out and about yesterday it was updating Samsung apps and syncing my Moto 360 apps, and that caused some issues. It was in a part of town that's generally overloaded, however, and once the watch was done doing its thing everything was a-ok.

Edited by afazel
  • Like 1

Just received the Note 5. Since I won't have LTE coverage until Thanksgiving break, I can't really post an LTE comparison between the device and the One Max, among the other phones I own (Unless GMOs suddenly get converted in PA). However, I have found a peculiar setting in the roaming options. Here it is. I apologize if its been discussed already. 

pEuCaFK.jpg?1

Has CCA roaming been enabled from GSM partners? Or is it just part of the Samsung software?

I stopped by Best Buy last night to pick up something my Wife wanted and made a side trip to the samsung experience kiosk to try out the Note 5 and Edge+..... Hand feel wise I still prefer to Note 5 over the Edge+ which matches my expereince comparing the S6 vs the S6 Edge.  The Edge just feel too sharp on the metal body edge on either side of the phone making it less comfortable to hold.  Mobile radio was disabled and I didn't see a menu under setting to enable them so I couldn't even compare signal strength

• Like 1

http://phandroid.com/2015/08/20/samsung-galaxy-note-5-active-rumor/

Note 5 Active coming?  Might be an AT&T only phone though like the S6 Active.

That's there's still phones with exclusivity in 2015 is a pain in the arse. 

I realize you can buy upfront an unlocked version and put it on T-Mobile with B12 support, but still. 

I've said that I wouldn't get the Note 5 because of the lack of sd card and removable battery. But I have to admit I am a sucker for new devices. I don't know. I think I'll wait for the LG Pro or whatever is coming with a stylus and see how it compares.

TS

• Like 1

I've said that I wouldn't get the Note 5 because of the lack of sd card and removable battery. But I have to admit I am a sucker for new devices. I don't know. I think I'll wait for the LG Pro or whatever is coming with a stylus and see how it compares.

TS

It may be the most impressive Samsung device I've seen yet. I really like the Note 5 design. I just wish they offered it in Gold Platinum in the US. I see the band classes on this dual SIM Note5 and I think it's a beast. Too bad CDMA is owned by Qualcomm.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/samsung-galaxy-note5-n9200-dual-sim-unlocked-lte-32gb-gold-platinum-281821/

• Like 2

After looking at it at Best Buy here, it seems like a very solid, yet flawed phone. I loved the display and build quality. The camera opened amazingly fast. I was surprised to see them (BB) selling T-Mobile in Eastern Iowa. The poor RF performance on the wall post makes me nervous on getting the phone since I frequent areas with gaps in LTE coverage. The computing power compared to my G2 was impressive though. 

I decided to get a Note 5 today. So far around town LTE performance was very good. I didn't have SignalCheck installed yet due to two factor authentication (and me forgetting the backup passes), but latency and download/upload seemed much better than my G2. Camera pulls up (ready to use) incredibly fast. The fingerprint scanner works quick every time for me  At home my closest tower does not have LTE broadcasting at all, and I was able to connect to B26 on a more distant tower which my G2 would never hold on to. So far I'm very happy.

Well I'm going on over 24hrs on first full battery charge and so I'm impressed all ready compared to the g4. This phone does run smoother than the G4. But my biggest thing is battery life. rf performance so far seems to be on par with the G4,but then again i have only used this for a day.

Have had the 64 GB since Friday and one thing I have noticed continually......the Note 5 is almost constantly on Band 41 where as my Note 4 would bounce between 25 and 26 and once in a while show it to be on Band 41. I am even picking up band 41 all over southern NH in the Salem to Manchester area (I live in MA on the border), whereas I never saw that with the note 4.

Also, since my hearing sucks and I wear hearing aids, I find the earpiece to be a fair bit better for me and the speaker to be a whole lot better for call use...for my ears at least.

What is still frustrating is that the signal in the house stinks. It goes from 26 to 3G to 31 and seems to get stuck between the three just like the Note 4.

1/8 mile away I have very fast 41 connection and it does show exactly this on the Sprint coverage map. Frustrating.

I am able to clearly make calls at home most of the time...although there are times when zero bars are present (I know this is a rather useless signal strength indicator) and I am on 3G that things get pretty scratchy / garbles for a few seconds...but that is infrequent.

Most other places the call quality is excellent.

I have to say, this is the first phone I've consistently been connected to 4G without needing any cycling of airplane mode. On my G2 I don't think I would have known Sprint had LTE in many places if I wouldn't have manually cycled the radio - that phone stuck on 3G way too much.

One thing that Samsung can improve on (and Sprint can help them with it), even if the phone RF isn't as good, is rescanning for LTE.  It seems the iPhone does a really good job at that.  My Note 4 takes a bit of time to go back on 4G if it drops to 3G.

RF wise band 41 is doing better on this device by a few db better than my S6, M9, LG Flex, or LG G3.

Strongest signal and about double the speeds I normal get inside at home. I'll need to do some more testing, but so far a positive surprise!

Anyone else notice anything about b41 performance good or bad?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk