Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

I hate to admit it but I am positive the Nexus 6 has been dethroned as the undisputed rf champ. The note 5 in all tests had better results across the board. Better at band 41/25/26 compared to the N6. I still cant believe it. It only suffers a bit in evdo.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have a question that may sound silly. I have an S5, and live about a mile to a mile and half from a site that's live with B41 I can't pick up, even being a mile away. Would the Note 5 possibly pick up that signal?

I have a question that may sound silly. I have an S5, and live about a mile to a mile and half from a site that's live with B41 I can't pick up, even being a mile away. Would the Note 5 possibly pick up that signal?

That's gonna be pretty hard to predict. You do have 14 days to return, so you could always test it.

Sent from my Sprint Note5

Hey Note 5 owners.  Need some help here since I am debating between a few handsets (Nexus 6P, GS6, Note 5) for my upgrade coming up.  I was looking at The Wall article that talked about the Note 5 RF performance specs and I want to know despite the lower FCC numbers quoted in the article, is the RF performance in the real world better than expected, as expected or worse than expected especially compared to the Note 4?  Also I am curious how the battery life is despite the smaller battery compared to the Note 4?

TIA for the advice provided.

• Like 1

Hey Note 5 owners.  Need some help here since I am debating between a few handsets (Nexus 6P, GS6, Note 5) for my upgrade coming up.  I was looking at The Wall article that talked about the Note 5 RF performance specs and I want to know despite the lower FCC numbers quoted in the article, is the RF performance in the real world better than expected, as expected or worse than expected especially compared to the Note 4?  Also I am curious how the battery life is despite the smaller battery compared to the Note 4?

TIA for the advice provided.

Scroll back a few pages and read through.  These are answered there, not being a jerk, but it's been repeated recently several times over.  Bottom line, the RF is better than the article suggested. 

Second, battery life is great in my estimation, but I've not had a Note4. 

• Like 1

I might try that. I'm planning on the device being used alot, so the wireless charger ought to be very helpful.

Indeed it should. However FYI, the free wireless charger that Samsung is giving away for signing up with Samsung Pay is just the standard one, not the newer version that supports Fast Charge with the Note 5 and S6+. I opted for the free wallet case and I'll pick up the Fast Charge wireless charger from Amazon or somewhere at some point.

• Like 1

Indeed it should. However FYI, the free wireless charger that Samsung is giving away for signing up with Samsung Pay is just the standard one, not the newer version that supports Fast Charge with the Note 5 and S6+. I opted for the free wallet case and I'll pick up the Fast Charge wireless charger from Amazon or somewhere at some point.

Thats what I did. If you go to best buy you get a $100 gift card so i got my wireless charger from there. Thr I took it back because it was only the standard one and picked up the 79.99 from amazon.
  • Like 1

After reading this thread I went to Best Buy on Tuesday and purchase the Note 5 on Easy Pay. Just didn't have $500-600 to buy the phone new online. Was debating between the GS6 or Note 5. However the screen size on the GS6 was smaller then the Note 5. I did get the $100 gift card and half was used to pay the sales tax.

I'm coming from a Note 4. I can say I really like the Note 5. RF is WAY better. Plus they added CA to the Clearwire site next to my house in the past few days. Now i'm getting between 50-80 down. Before was 25-30 down on the Note 4.

Question. I want to transfer photo's from my Note 4 and GS5 to my Note 5. Since this phone doesn't have a SD card I'm thinking about using Google Photos. What do others use for photo storage?

• Like 1

Question. I want to transfer photo's from my Note 4 and GS5 to my Note 5. Since this phone doesn't have a SD card I'm thinking about using Google Photos. What do others use for photo storage?

Why not use Samsung Smart Switch?

I use Google Photos with the "unlimited" backup option for all my photos.  I highly recommend it, it's getting better with each update.  Using this, I can freely just deleted photos when I'm tired of having thousands of thumbnails to scroll through.  

Or just use Smartswitch like Rawvega recommended.  That would work too.  However, you should be using SOMETHING to back your photos up automatically in case of emergency.  Google Photos is a great free option. 

Hey guys how do you check to make sure you are getting CA?

In some markets, SignalCheck Pro will put a little 2 (like squared) if you are getting CA.  I think this is easiest with clearwire converted sites?  (I could be way off with that one)  However, from what I gather, in other markets it's hard to tell.  Example in Madison, WI which is a Samsung market, I don't see anything with my B41 CA.  I think speed is the major identifier.  If you are up near 70mbps down (like on my towers here), you've got CA going on. 

• Like 1

In some markets, SignalCheck Pro will put a little 2 (like squared) if you are getting CA.  I think this is easiest with clearwire converted sites?  (I could be way off with that one)  However, from what I gather, in other markets it's hard to tell.  Example in Madison, WI which is a Samsung market, I don't see anything with my B41 CA.  I think speed is the major identifier.  If you are up near 70mbps down (like on my towers here), you've got CA going on.

I don't have a phone that has CA, but wondered the same thing about how to identify if you are on CA or not, until I seen a comment in the San Diego market last night showing examples. From reading that, it looks like certain numbers or letters are identifiers.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2144-network-visionlte-san-diego-market/page-76

Well I'm going on over 24hrs on first full battery charge and so I'm impressed all ready compared to the g4. This phone does run smoother than the G4. But my biggest thing is battery life. rf performance so far seems to be on par with the G4,but then again i have only used this for a day.

What about CDMA calling and B25 and B26 LTE performance compared to the LG G4?  It sounds like B41 performance on the Note 5 seems to be pretty good.

Hey guys how do you check to make sure you are getting CA?

On the Note 5 (and any CA capable Samsung or LG device) the engineering screen...

2xca_zps4jugexdi.jpg

The squared symbol is an indication that the device is connected to a second Band 41 carrier. That is in all likelihood an indication that carrier aggregation is present, but it isn't SignalCheck indicating CA. In many situations the "first" carrier may be the "primary" aggregation carrier (see the screenshot above). SignalCheck isn't capable of discerning if CA is present or not.

And Samsung markets are programmed in SCP to show a second carrier based on GCI's ending in 03, 04, or 05.

• Like 2

On the Note 5 (and any CA capable Samsung or LG device) the engineering screen...

2xca_zps4jugexdi.jpg

The squared symbol is an indication that the device is connected to a second Band 41 carrier. That is in all likelihood an indication that carrier aggregation is present, but it isn't SignalCheck indicating CA. In many situations the "first" carrier may be the "primary" aggregation carrier (see the screenshot above). SignalCheck isn't capable of discerning if CA is present or not.

And Samsung markets are programmed in SCP to show a second carrier based on GCI's ending in 03, 04, or 05.

Excellent explanation. Clear and concise. Thank you

Sent from my Sprint Note5

• Like 1

What about CDMA calling and B25 and B26 LTE performance compared to the LG G4? It sounds like B41 performance on the Note 5 seems to be pretty good.

it's better. As much as I don't want to degrade the g4 but I have too. Now the g3 I think was way better than g4. The note 5 I'm very happy and impressed with for a Samsung phone

http://www.t4gru.com/index.php?/topic/137-galaxy-note-5-and-s6-edge-plus/?p=2123

Cross post of what I put up on T4GRU, but anyone use this bad boy on T-Mobile? How is RF performance on there?

What?  You mean T4GRU staff is not writing FCC OET RF analysis articles?  Is any actual work getting done over there?

;)

AJ

What? You mean T4GRU staff is not writing FCC OET RF analysis articles? Is any actual work getting done over there?

;)

AJ

AJ - what are your thoughts on the lackluster RF ratings and what seems like good performance reported by users here in real life?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk