Samsung Galaxy Note 5 User Thread

COZisBack

http://imgur.com/a/T2YOc

So i was in a sprint store for a tech support issue., and took the chance to compare some phones rsrp on b41.  This is not scientific but I figure it should give an overall comparison of how the phones compare

Note that while they are not truly side by side but all the phones are within 10 ft of each other in a corner of the Sprint store.  The Samsung phones are along the outside windows, while the HTC LG and Sharp phones are along the wall extending into the store, HTC are the cloest to the windows with the Crystal furthest away from the window.  Tower is about 3000ft away

Order top to bottom
Sharp crystal
G3
G4 (2x note difference in rsrp)
G4 alone
M8
M9
S5
S6
S6 edge
Note 5
Edge+

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice! I'm on day two with the Note 5, so far in my limited travel to work and around at lunch the device has been on B41 almost the entire time. In the past with other devices this wasn't the case.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

One thing that Samsung can improve on (and Sprint can help them with it), even if the phone RF isn't as good, is rescanning for LTE.  It seems the iPhone does a really good job at that.  My Note 4 takes a bit of time to go back on 4G if it drops to 3G.

Did you change the LTE scan timer? by default i think its every 5 minutes, you can reduce the scan time but it may consume more battery.

Also if you have an active data session (donwloading/uploading) it will most of the time prevent the phone from catching 4G even if you are sitting right next to a 4G tower

Yeah... I can confirm RF is better on note 5 than note 4...at least for the T-Mobile variant.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

The T-Mobile variant is going to have a different RF setup given the fact Sammy used the Shannon 333 modem to give them 3x carrier aggregation (which probably is going to be seen in very few T-Mobile markets any time soon) as well as not having to pay out to Qualcomm for T-Mobile/AT&T/international devices. Verizon and Sprint variants are on the MDM9635M by Qualcomm for CDMA support. I would expect that to influence RF somewhat.

• Like 1

Upgraded from the Note4.  Coworker still has Note 4.  We placed phones side by side on his bench here at work.  He would be stuck on 3g while my Note 5 would still be on 4g.  We cycled airplane mode and he would have 4g for about 2 seconds then back to 3g.  I have yet to see mine go on 3g here at work while he is constantly on it.  Loving the phone so far.

• Like 4

This could be another test of the rf performance.

So at my job i have a sprint site in our parking lot. All bands except CA. But speeds are great any ways. My lg g4 with band priority set at 41,26 and 25 would usually stay on 25. I go into the bathroom and i get 26. Rarely do i get 41. If i do its short lived.

Now with that said, this note 5 stays on 41 every where. That's with band priority set as default 25,26 and 41.

So can some one enlighten me on if this is good rf or something? .

Thanks

So everyone calling bs on the fcc reporting that it's a mediocre band 41 performer?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

It would be interesting to see what happened if the FCC tested it again.

hey guys, guys, guys......I did it.  I am the owner of a Note 5.  This phone is ridiculously good compared to the S5.  Wowwo-wee-whoa. 

HUZZAH! 

Is there any way to disable the burst mode on the camera shutter?  I can't seem to find the settings for this. 

• Like 2

Android Pay is out: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/android-pay/android-pay-1-0-102576552-android-apk-download/

Here's the Google Play Services for our Note 5 (ends -240): http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-8-1-14-2244331-240-android-apk-download/

Works great!  Just used it! 

EDIT: now we wait for Samsung Pay.......

For me Samsung Pay has been great and has worked flawlessly at every store with or without a NFC terminal. I don't think I'll bother with Android Pay since so few stores have NFC terminals here, and many of the ones that do have them, don't have them set up properly. 

• Like 2

How do you know if a store is set up for it?

Android Pay will have any of theses logos on their terminals:

uploadfromtaptalk1442066056534.png

Samsung Pay will work at any place with swipable credit card terminals due to their Loop Pay integration. (not the plunge style card readers like at gas pumps though)

• Like 1

Android Pay will have any of theses logos on their terminals:

attachicon.gif Screenshot_2015-09-12-08-52-50~2.png

Samsung Pay will work at any place with swipable credit card terminals due to their Loop Pay integration. (not the plunge style card readers like at gas pumps though)

Well i haven't seen any of those. Unless I'm blind.

But android pay and samsung pay are very secure an easy to use?

Well i haven't seen any of those. Unless I'm blind.

But android pay and samsung pay are very secure an easy to use?

You've definitely seen the bottom symbol, it's on quite a few terminals now you know what you're looking for. Walgreens, for example, has them, Home Depot, McDonald's, Mobile gas stations, most gas stations, 711, CVS, Riteaid, and convenient stores, etc.

The security comes with tokenization of your credit card so your actual numbers aren't transmitted to the Point of Sale terminal (in store). Everyone always laughs off mobile payments as being less convenient than just swiping your card, and it usually is, but this tokenization will keep your credit card number from ever being stolen. I use it as much as possible (was Google Wallet, but works better now as Android Pay) for this reason. Plus they email you receipts and payment details immediately. Not to mention automatic applying your rewards cards if applicable.

• Like 1