Sprint to end 2 Year Contracts

JimBob

So does Sprint lower their monthly rates for existing customers if the 2yr contract subsidy goes away? If not then this hurts existing customers. Or are we thought of as loss leaders who should be forced to switch to limited data plans? I'm not bashing and I really don't use much data these days. I just want to know where I stand.

Unless/until Sprint ends contract subsidy, we do not know.  But several possibilities exist.

On the soft side, Sprint probably would allow legacy contract subsidy plans to continue grandfathered past their contract expiration -- just with no further subsidized upgrade eligibility.  Sprint might offer legacy credits to users of those plans who lease or buy devices on Easy Pay, since those programs function much like contracts that tie the users to Sprint.

Or Sprint could opt for the hard line.  It is unlikely that Sprint would force legacy contract subsidy plans to select new plans at contract expiration -- though SERO and similar plans could get eliminated.  However, it is possible that Sprint could go cold turkey and not offer any legacy credits.  In other words, stay on your legacy contract subsidy plan.  Pay more/less/same as current plans -- that depends upon your situation.  But the device cost is entirely on you.  BYOD, lease, Easy Pay, or full price.

We shall see...

AJ

Loyalty credits is what got me to embrace the newly introduced Lease and Easy Pay finance programs offered to clients on Legacy plans. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even batted an eye.

Word has it UNFORTUNATELY is that Sprint has downgraded from $15 loyalty credits to $10 effective 1 November 2015.

Now that CHAPS my hide!

Fortunately I upgraded prior to that drop date and received the $15 loyalty credits on all 3 lines plus promo of $200 ea line for trade in a smartphone towards the account. I traded in a SII, Arrive & Evo 3D

Made out very well.

• Like 1

I have been holding onto my ED plan until Sprint made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. Well they did.

A couple of days ago I logged into my account and clicked the the change plan link to see what it would show. It showed that I was eligible for the 40 GB Family Share with no line access fees for $120 a month. So I called Sprint to verify.

The rep I spoke with confirmed I was eligible for the plan and that I would not be changed line access fees. I ask her twice just to make sure. She also claimed that I will still get the loyalty credit on the lease I currently have.

Bottom line is after my employer discount I will be paying almost half what I was paying for 3 lines.

I took the offer. Essentially I traded my unlimited data and subsidy pricing for a cheaper bill and built in hotspot. I never used more that 15 GB total between 3 lines but the fact that I will get unlimited 2G beyond the 40GB instead of being charged for overages made it an easier decision.

I would suggest all existing ED plan users to check what Sprint is offering right now as far as alternatives. It may actually be worth it to switch.

Sent from my iPhone 6S Plus using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I have been holding onto my ED plan until Sprint made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. Well they did.

A couple of days ago I logged into my account and clicked the the change plan link to see what it would show. It showed that I was eligible for the 40 GB Family Share with no line access fees for $120 a month. So I called Sprint to verify.

The rep I spoke with confirmed I was eligible for the plan and that I would not be changed line access fees. I ask her twice just to make sure. She also claimed that I will still get the loyalty credit on the lease I currently have.

Bottom line is after my employer discount I will be paying almost half what I was paying for 3 lines.

I took the offer. Essentially I traded my unlimited data and subsidy pricing for a cheaper bill and built in hotspot. I never used more that 15 GB total between 3 lines but the fact that I will get unlimited 2G beyond the 40GB instead of being charged for overages made it an easier decision.

I would suggest all existing ED plan users to check what Sprint is offering right now as far as alternatives. It may actually be worth it to switch.

No way JOSÈ!!

The only way I switch is if they took ED plans away from my dead cold hands.

Unlimited everything FTW!!

Btw everything you just claimed you better get it in writing or you'll get fubar'd. Especially the loyalty Credit because that's specifically for legacy plans and the employer discount goes towards the data fee and not the plan itself.

To date I have not seen anything comparable or better to the ED plans.

● Be mindful because what sounds too good to be true most probably is. Especially your first billing cycles, guarantee they'll be a lot of questions.

• Like 1

No way JOSÈ!!

Btw everything you just claimed you better get it in writing or you'll get fubar'd. Especially the loyalty Credit because that's specifically for legacy plans and the employer discount goes towards the data/line fee and not the plan itself.

● Be mindful because what sounds too good to be true most probably is. Especially your first billing cycles, guarantee they'll be a lot of questions.

I felt the same way about the ED plan.

I was actually talking to an American rep, whom I trust more than a rep in another country. Plus I always choose the cancel plan phone option so I feel those reps would sure to be more competent.

I also had her to note my account that all the line access fees were to be waived. The loyalty credit is not a deal breaker.

I have noticed lately that each time I've called Sprint about an issue that they seem to bend over backwards to solve the problem when before they seemed to be bothered I called. I have more faith in them than I used too.

• Like 2

And you never will see anything better than the ED plans. They were/are the greatest deal you can get, and it would be crazy for Sprint, or any other carrier, to offer something similar for the same price. They would lose too much money.

-Anthony

And you never will see anything better than the ED plans. They were/are the greatest deal you can get, and it would be crazy for Sprint, or any other carrier, to offer something similar for the same price. They would lose too much money.

You misspelled that.  It is "loose too much money."

;)

AJ

• Like 1

You misspelled that. It is "loose too much money."

;)

AJ

Lose in this content is correctly used.

Loose is an entirely separate meaning.

See link...

http://grammarist.com/usage/loose-lose/

Lose in this content is correctly used.

Loose is an entirely separate meaning.

See link...

http://grammarist.com/usage/loose-lose/

I hate to break it to you, but did you not notice the winking smiley emoticon?

"Lose/loose" has become an S4GRU and Internet epidemic for several years now.

And we like to make fun of it, have done so for several years now.

24lm1i8.png

AJ

• Like 2

I hate to break it to you, but did you not notice the winking smiley emoticon?

"Lose/loose" has become an S4GRU and Internet epidemic for several years now.

And we like to make fun of it, have done so for several years now.

24lm1i8.png

AJ

No I didn't catch that. My bad!

I'm definitely out of the loop in regards to what you just mentioned.

● btw it's contagious because I seen it used immensely over social networks

Loose vs lose

Sigh...

● btw it's contagious because I seen it used immensely over social networks

Loose vs lose

Sigh...

You are astute -- it is highly contagious. In something of an Internet pun, it is a "virus."

So, watch out. Otherwise, you, too, soon may be using "loose" incorrectly.

AJ

It's like they're/there/ their. You rarely see those used correctly anymore. Or like "dieded". Did he dieded?....Ugh I hate that stupid meme.  God I feel like I'm 80 years old. You kids get off my damn lawn!

Oh but back to the top....Maverick and AppleFanBoy both have good points. I would be tempted by that 40GB family deal. To make things more complicated the reason I use less data from Sprint now is because I switched my internet provider to Comcast which includes their Wi-Fi hotspot app. Most of my data was used listening to music at my gym which doesn't offer WiFi but with the app I can connect to Comcast/Xfinity internet which seems to be ubiquitous in my town.

• Like 2

If killing contracts means Sprint can also kill off most of the SERO that's left, then kill off contracts with fire. It isn't like Sprint is rolling in money anyway, they need all the financial aid they can get.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No way JOSÈ!!

Btw everything you just claimed you better get it in writing or you'll get fubar'd. Especially the loyalty Credit because that's specifically for legacy plans and the employer discount goes towards the data/line fee and not the plan itself.

The employer discount goes toward the data bucket on the newer plans, not the line access fee's.

If killing contracts means Sprint can also kill off most of the SERO that's left, then kill off contracts with fire. It isn't like Sprint is rolling in money anyway, they need all the financial aid they can get.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I wasn't aware that Sprint was a charity. Why should they kill SERO? SERO consists of the most loyal customers Sprint has. I'd wager most SERO customers have been around for 3 CEOs or more. Lose them and the people who switched just to save 50% off their bill will be basically all that's left, and they'll leave as soon as the next great promotion comes along from T-Mobile.

• Like 1

I wasn't aware that Sprint was a charity. Why should they kill SERO? SERO consists of the most loyal customers Sprint has. I'd wager most SERO customers have been around for 3 CEOs or more. Lose them and the people who switched just to save 50% off their bill will be basically all that's left, and they'll leave as soon as the next great promotion comes along from T-Mobile.

SERO is probably a tiny amount of their post paid subscriber base. While I don't think legacy plan customers should just be left out, I don't see a huge loss if they did kill off subsidy for SERO. If they want to coerce legacy plan customers off without any backlash, they could just qualify those accounts for the promos new customers get such as 40GB for $120 with the first four line access fees waived.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

SERO is probably a tiny amount of their post paid subscriber base. While I don't think legacy plan customers should just be left out, I don't see a huge loss if they did kill off subsidy for SERO. If they want to coerce legacy plan customers off without any backlash, they could just qualify those accounts for the promos new customers get such as 40GB for $120 with the first four line access fees waived.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Neither a huge loss nor a huge gain if it's a tiny amount of their subscriber base. 

I doubt unlimited customers migrating to a metered plan of any amount would be met "without any backlash." Line access fees have  always seemed a bit bull to me, like upgrade or activation fees. In my opinion, they should not be waived they should just be not charged especially when the customer is BYOD, easy pay or lease - there's no subsidy to earn back. They're already paying for data, why do they have to pay to access the data too?

With VZW, T-Mobile, and probably soon AT&T paying ETFs for switching, Sprint will have to give existing customers a pretty sweet deal to keep them if they're going to start asking them to pay more. How many people in the US are willing to pay more than they do today for Sprint?

The last I heard from Sprint regarding this (which was a tweet from the CEO), the word was that existing customers would be able to continue receiving subsidized upgrades as long as they wanted but new customers could only choose from lease, easy pay, or BYOD. I'm sure eventually subsidized upgrades will go away, but I don't think it will be on January 8 as has been speculated.

• Like 1

If SERO, buh bye. Why did you warrant SERO in the first place? Practically all SERO subs have been frauds -- but Sprint has looked the other way. That does not make it right.

I wouldn't say that most SERO users are frauds. There are two versions of SERO: Sprint Employee Referral Offer and the Separating Employee Retention Offer. While some people got the former by "borrowing" an employee email address or purchasing cloned and ToL'd accounts, Sprint did market it to the public on social media for a time in 2007 using the "holiday@sprint.com" and "savings@sprint.com" email addresses. I still have one of the flyers they distributed somewhere in my records.

Edited by ahecht

I think people try to use SERO as an easy cop out as to explain Sprint financial woes as if that was the main reason Sprint was struggling :rolleyes: when in reality that is not even the major factor at all.  The fact is that Sprint was losing customers over the past few years due to the network not performing and customers were getting tired of slow 3G speeds or nonexistant LTE.  There are plenty of former SERO customers that have easily given up SERO to either take advantage of one of the newer Sprint plans OR have switched carriers.  SERO is not as good as it once was in terms of price because nowadays with the newer family plans available out there there are cheaper when you have multi lines.

• Like 1

I think people try to use SERO as an easy cop out as to explain Sprint financial woes as if that was the main reason Sprint was struggling :rolleyes: when in reality that is not even the major factor at all. The fact is that Sprint was losing customers over the past few years due to the network not performing and customers were getting tired of slow 3G speeds or nonexistant LTE. There are plenty of former SERO customers that have easily given up SERO to either take advantage of one of the newer Sprint plans OR have switched carriers. SERO is not as good as it once was in terms of price because nowadays with the newer family plans available out there there are cheaper when you have multi lines.

Honestly, I think Sprint is losing more money on these new promotions than they are with SERO customers. Afterall, we do not know the average amount of data a SERO customer uses, and their lines cost roughly the same as the lines on a maxed out ED1500 plan. I don't get the S4GRU hate on SERO customers. They've shown Sprint the most loyalty and I believe Sprint has to be making money off them, or they would have forced users off that plan ages ago.

EDIT: Reworded.

• Like 3

If SERO, buh bye. Why did you warrant SERO in the first place?  Practically all SERO subs have been frauds -- but Sprint has looked the other way.  That does not make it right.

Then, go to AT&T. You can not care about Net Neutrality. You can not care about wireless competition. I have stopped caring about what other people do. Ignorance is bliss.  Because most other people are ignorant on these matters.

AJ

SERO was open to anyone and everyone for years.

http://mcguireslaw.com/2014/09/03/sprinting-to-the-finish-line/

On top of other very direct offers, the VP of Strategy at Sprint, the famous Russ McGuire allowed anyone to join SERO.

I love how you change the historical narrative of what SERO was (a promotion, heavily promoted by the VP of Strategy at Sprint) into something that suits what you don't like - a deal you feel isn't fair.

That's fine and all, say Sprint should end the deal for those on SERO but don't make broad generalizations that "practically all SERO subs are frauds."

Sure, there are people that somehow got onto SERO after the promotion ended but it was difficult to do.  Also, let's not address the fact that SERO users have seen a number of price increases.

• Originally it was $30/month with yearly upgrades
  • Then it was $40/month with yearly upgrades
  • Then $50/month with 20 month upgrades
  • Now it is $50/month with 24 month upgrades

Obviously Sprint has changed the terms of SERO to suit what they consider to sell the product at a profitable price.  It's not like SERO customers are magical protected creatures immune to price increases as your post may suggest.

Loose the fraud acuzayshuns  :rasp:

• Like 10

Loose the fraud acuzayshuns  :rasp:

Bullshit.  Sprint Employee Referral Offer.  But how many SERO subs actually knew a Sprint employee?  That Sprint or Russ looked the other way does not make it right.

For a parallel, I could be in cahoots with a big box store employee who could give me an employee discount, but that does not make it right.  If SERO were as legit as you claim, then it should have been a consumer plan that Sprint truly offered to everyone.

And many who are SERO defenders are on SERO.  Biased parties.  Apologists.  Bullshit.

AJ

• Like 1

What does it matter what AJ thinks about SERO? Sprint is going to do with SERO what it wants. Last I checked, AJ is not a Sprint consultant. His words are not actionable. But if they get rid of subsidies/contracts, Sprint is going to have to reconcile what it does with SERO customers. Because SERO seems to conflict with new plans.

Does Sprint lose money on SERO? Maybe. But I agree with the idea that it is a small fraction of overall customer counts. I would love to know exactly how many. But if they all churned at once, it would only affect numbers for a quarter. And probably only a little. And it may not effect total profit or loss since the popular consensus is that SERO makes Sprint little money (at best), or maybe even costs money.

I think I would prefer the conversation in this thread relating to SERO to be more focused on how Sprint may impact SERO customers with this new change. And not the legacy aspects of SERO itself, and its merits.

Sent from OnePlus 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

What does it matter what AJ thinks about SERO?

I do not like "double secret" discounts on grandfathered wireless plans.  That is what I think about SERO.  Arbitrary, unfair discounts.

AJ