Sprint Name Change Ideas (With Poll)

Arysyn

Sprint Name Poll  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think ought to happen with the Sprint company name?

• Keep the name Sprint
    • Rename to Softbank
    • Rename to Spark Wireless
    • Rename to Spark Mobile
    • Something else (Please indicate in a post too)

Spark Mobile or SoftBank Mobile. Either one is OK with me. I'd rather wait until the Sprint network is closer to speed parity with Verizon and T-Mobile and well ahead of AT&T. Then rebranding can be part of a comeback story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Uh Oh!

I am laying down on the couch watching television, and I saw a commercial for this :

https://www.sparkpay.com

Apparently, Capital One is using this as a credit card offering with extra features. So as far as I'm aware, credit card companies are similarly disliked by people as banking is.

• Like 1

Money for a rebrand would be better spent after the substantial completion of the Next Gen Network initiative.

But, if you insist on a name, how about Tnirps? It encapsulates a full turnaround in the name. Unfortunately it also sounds like a bitter root vegetable.

• Like 2

Spark or Spark Mobile? Softbank? Not really feeling those. Just don't sound right. Kind of like Moland Springs :D And anything with U.S. in it is horrible. I'd rather go with Clear to be honest. It's not a bad name and nobody really knew about them as they barely had service anywhere so it's not really tarnished. 

If they do rebrand it will be a damn shame. From a branding standpoint the Sprint name and Pin Drop logo are the best in the business in my opinion. Same for the colors. I keep thinking if Softbank and Masa had spent a few bucks advertising that Sprint was under new ownership and that they were taking a new course then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Who knows? Instead he made ridiculous boasts and wasted time pursuing an impossible merger. 

• Like 1

Uh Oh!

I am laying down on the couch watching television, and I saw a commercial for this :

https://www.sparkpay.com

Apparently, Capital One is using this as a credit card offering with extra features. So as far as I'm aware, credit card companies are similarly disliked by people as banking is.

Spark-uh-bank? The new Capital One...

Using Tapatalk on Nexus 6

• Like 1

Spark or Spark Mobile? Softbank? Not really feeling those. Just don't sound right. Kind of like Moland Springs :D And anything with U.S. in it is horrible. I'd rather go with Clear to be honest. It's not a bad name and nobody really knew about them as they barely had service anywhere so it's not really tarnished.

If they do rebrand it will be a damn shame. From a branding standpoint the Sprint name and Pin Drop logo are the best in the business in my opinion. Same for the colors. I keep thinking if Softbank and Masa had spent a few bucks advertising that Sprint was under new ownership and that they were taking a new course then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Who knows? Instead he made ridiculous boasts and wasted time pursuing an impossible merger.

Clear is another good idea, as there is a historical connection there. After all, wasn't Sprint's motto in their old commercials something like "Pin Drop SprintPCS; its so clear its as if/like you're there"
  • Like 1

I am afraid there is not a great name out there. The company should dump the black and yellow colors though.

They should keep it yellow for now to keep everyone on watch and when the network turns around and start beating the competition change it to green.

Sent from my Nexus 6

They should keep it yellow for now to keep everyone on watch and when the network turns around and start beating the competition change it to green.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Cricket uses Green. AT&T uses Blue and Orange, Verizon uses Red and a bit of Gray.

I think Black and Silver/Platinum would look best for Sprint, though definitely drop the Yellow.

• Like 2

When the network is really done/optimized and blowing TMO away again....

SPANK Mobile.

Get it? Combine SPrint and softbANK = SPANK

WINNER!

Cricket uses Green. AT&T uses Blue and Orange, Verizon uses Red and a bit of Gray.

I think Black and Silver/Platinum would look best for Sprint, though definitely drop the Yellow.

If you're rocking silver/platinum you're already using SoftBank's colors so why not go for SoftBank US.

If you're rocking silver/platinum you're already using SoftBank's colors so why not go for SoftBank US.

I like Softbank's colors. They look very professional. Also, I like the idea of using the same name, however I understand some of the concerns though with using the name here with the word, "Bank" in it.

To bring this back to serious discussion, any rebrand does not necessarily have to include the word "cellular," "wireless," "mobile," or "mobility."  Think of Sprint's history -- even when the wireless arm was known as "Sprint PCS," its nomenclature did not use any of those four aforementioned terms.

For another example, prior to the Cingular-AT&TWS merger over a decade ago, AT&TWS had been spun off from the parent company and had a limited amount of time to continue to use the AT&T name/logo.  As some of you old fogies like me may remember, AT&TWS launched the "mlife" media campaign.  Part of that was related to its investment from NTT DoCoMo -- that swayed AT&TWS away from TDMA, did not go to the prevailing thought of CDMA2000, and instead went to GSM/W-CDMA.

Absent revelations from insiders, we may never know for sure.  But conjecture is that AT&TWS was prepping itself as an independent company to be rebranded "mlife" -- or maybe just "m."  Along the same lines, Hutchison Whampoa has operated its non 2G network in the UK as branded simply "3" for over a decade, too.

AJ

Oh God, I remember this. I'm an official old fogie. 

• Like 1

I have wondered about re-branding as well.

• Don't rebrand before the Network is in Optimal Condition. Our local Telephone Company "Frontier Communications" tried the "New Frontier" thing awhile back and needless to say there is nothing really different today.
  • The Black and Yellow were originally Nextel colors which looked really great for Nextel.

nextel_logo_tn.jpg

• Spark is a great name for CA/LTE, but refers to a tiny flash of Light. I don't like that name for the entire carrier.
  • AT&T went from Cingular and back to AT&T. Sprint has an old well known telecom name too.I miss the old Sprint Logos.

sprintpcs-lg.jpg

• So I think I reccomend just changing the Logo to reflect back to the old Sprint PCS and Sprint Telecom. Modernize it a bit, but convey this message, "We are the Old Reliable Sprint PCS of Long Ago now challenging the Wireless Industry the same way we did in the Past with Long Distance."
  • Get buy-in from Nissan or Toyota since we are talking about Japan here and call it Toyota Wireless, Nissan Wireless, SB Mayoshi Wireless...250px-Renault-Nissan.svg.png
  • So I think I I vote for the old SPrint PCS to Come back, with perhaps the addition of of SoftBank

****Sprint PCS-SoftBank*****.

Edited by techfranz
  • Like 1

I absolutely do not like the idea of bringing back/adding on the word "PCS" onto the name Sprint, even though I understand how it may help some who remember that better time for Sprint to possibly come back to Sprint. However, likely it'll be very few customers overall who do, as its been said many times in many places how the general figure of consumers do not usually associate back to a company's better days and forgive so easily based on that, once a company has already developed a long-standing reputation.

Either Sprint's network improvements with NGN will help its reputation, or not do much at all for it. If it does not, or more fairly to say while it ought to help its reputation to some degree, it may not be enough for what Softbank and Sprint executives want. It might be they'd want to try changing the company's name to help with that. Although, I think if they are going to change its name, hopefully they'd have other, better reasons for doing so, besides reputation. Such as aiding/unifying the overall corporate identity.

One more thing about the PCS idea. Back then, the PCS band was Sprint's main spectrum band of cellular communications, which Sprint advertised to identify it with their mobile brand. Nowadays, Sprint has three different spectrum bands, one of which (band 41), Sprint has much more of than they have of PCS. So, I doubt changing the name to that would be a good idea for that reason, as well.

• Like 1

Not sure you mentioned it first, but a name change has to happen, personally I agree with the poster who mentioned Clear as a new name.

Personally I would go with simply Clear.

However other options could be...

Clear Mobile

Clear Wireless

or even a variation...

Clearly Wireless

• Like 3

Not sure you mentioned it first, but a name change has to happen, personally I agree with the poster who mentioned Clear as a new name.

Personally I would go with simply Clear.

However other options could be...

Clear Mobile

Clear Wireless

or even a variation...

Clearly Wireless

Clear* is an awesome idea.  Aslo, reminds me of the Crystal Clear Digital Calling Sprint used to advertise. I think folks generally had good experiences with the Clear 4G Home Internet Service as well.

Edited by techfranz
  • Like 1

I absolutely do not like the idea of bringing back/adding on the word "PCS" onto the name Sprint, even though I understand how it may help some who remember that better time for Sprint to possibly come back to Sprint. However, likely it'll be very few customers overall who do, as its been said many times in many places how the general figure of consumers do not usually associate back to a company's better days and forgive so easily based on that, once a company has already developed a long-standing reputation.

Either Sprint's network improvements with NGN will help its reputation, or not do much at all for it. If it does not, or more fairly to say while it ought to help its reputation to some degree, it may not be enough for what Softbank and Sprint executives want. It might be they'd want to try changing the company's name to help with that. Although, I think if they are going to change its name, hopefully they'd have other, better reasons for doing so, besides reputation. Such as aiding/unifying the overall corporate identity.

One more thing about the PCS idea. Back then, the PCS band was Sprint's main spectrum band of cellular communications, which Sprint advertised to identify it with their mobile brand. Nowadays, Sprint has three different spectrum bands, one of which (band 41), Sprint has much more of than they have of PCS. So, I doubt changing the name to that would be a good idea for that reason, as well.

Agreed on the PCS thing....just wasn't sure what to replace the PCS part  with.   Anyway like the Clear idea below.

• Like 2

Part of the purpose of re-branding is to convey a new stronger image to the consumer.  If Sprint and Softbank both agree that re-branding is needed how does using anything associated with the two help build this image.

- Sprint PCS became Sprint - a company that has struggled to deliver by many

- Nextel - How many people are still pissed about the purchase of Nextel and how many former customers are still pissed about the shutdown?  Many point to this purchase as the reason Sprint has continued to struggle

- Clear - The provider Sprint backed for WiMax 4G that never took hold.  Sprint & Softbank later purchase the company and once again send out network shutdown notices.  I personally listened to my family for 45+ minutes about how upset they were that Sprint bought the company and that they are now shutting down the network.  It took away a great home internet provider for my family.

- Softbank - The company that bought Sprint promising the turnaround of Sprint.  Now the company has admitted that they had lost hope in the company and have talked about selling it off.

- Spark - The name for the tri-band network that many still complain Sprint has delivered on. 

I recently started to think that something with a little more meaning might be needed.  I was thinking something like Phoenix Wireless, the rebirth of the company from the ashes of the old.  It has nothing to do with all the past companies that have merged into the one they are today.  It also conveys a new since in the company and that they have returned a stronger company. 

• Like 1