Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

Nah, just updating everyone. Last I read was it should release "soon" but we all know that usually isn't the case.

Hopefully they are working on the random shutdown issue that users were experiencing.

• Like 1

Hopefully they are working on the random shutdown issue that users were experiencing.

Yeah, that one is a REALLY strange issue.  I don't know about you but my phone won't even actually shut down fully (ie no Android start up animation).  The only reason I know it's done it is because fingerprint won't unlock and I have to input my pin. 

• 3 weeks later...

My N6P started downloading the new beta: 7.1.2 (NPG05F).

I got mine installed last night, my phone is starting to use band 41 again with the modem update. Only thing I really notice so far

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I got mine installed last night, my phone is starting to use band 41 again with the modem update. Only thing I really notice so far

So far I haven't noticed any changes. I'm in good B41 coverage. Maps bugged out on me 3 times in a row this morning but I don't think its safe to assume it's from the update. As most of us read, no additional functions from the finger print scanner.

So far I haven't noticed any changes. I'm in good B41 coverage. Maps bugged out on me 3 times in a row this morning but I don't think its safe to assume it's from the update. As most of us read, no additional functions from the finger print scanner.

We got upgraded to 10x10 B25 and since then my phone has either parked on B25 or B26. I would literally be next to a Sprint site and not get B41 until this update happened.

Wow, lots of bouncing between B26 & B41 today, but neither really stable.  Data flows on B41, but slowly (speed tests are fine); B26 can't really get anything moving.  If I get lucky enough to end up on B25, then everything is normal.

This phone is just not very durable. Went on an all day hike yesterday at Ricketts Glenn State Park in Northern Pennsylvania where temperatures were in the teens. I was using my Nexus 6p (my backup phone) as a GPS device (Backcountry Navigator App). My main phone now is an iphone 7 plus which I used as a camera yesterday . Both phones were fully charged in the morning and both were in airplane mode most of the day since there was no signal in the area.

Both phones were in my pocket. About 6 hours into the hike, the Nexus 6p shut down and could not be successfully restarted. It was showing low battery as the issue. But when I had checked about a half hour before it shut down, the 6p had about 75% battery left.

I guess the 6p couldn't stand the cold too well. When it returned to normal indoor temperatures the battery percentage went back up to 70% and it was working just fine. The iPhone handled the cold just fine. There were no issues all day.

Android has the advantage in utilizing the GPS with the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery. Which is why Backcountry Navigator only has an android app. Wonder if any other android phone would have worked better in cold temperatures.

This phone is just not very durable. Went on an all day hike yesterday at Ricketts Glenn State Park in Northern Pennsylvania where temperatures were in the teens. I was using my Nexus 6p (my backup phone) as a GPS device (Backcountry Navigator App). My main phone now is an iphone 7 plus which I used as a camera yesterday . Both phones were fully charged in the morning and both were in airplane mode most of the day since there was no signal in the area.

Both phones were in my pocket. About 6 hours into the hike, the Nexus 6p shut down and could not be successfully restarted. It was showing low battery as the issue. But when I had checked about a half hour before it shut down, the 6p had about 75% battery left.

I guess the 6p couldn't stand the cold too well. When it returned to normal indoor temperatures the battery percentage went back up to 70% and it was working just fine. The iPhone handled the cold just fine. There were no issues all day.

Android has the advantage in utilizing the GPS with the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery. Which is why Backcountry Navigator only has an android app. Wonder if any other android phone would have worked better in cold temperatures.

Something similar happened to my brother's 6p when we went snowboarding a while back. It shut down on him and when we got down the mountain he turned it back on and still had about 20%, during most of the day it was in airplane mode since reception is spotty on the drive up. Mine was completely dead as I was using it for music and was not in airplane mode but I did notice the battery drain faster than normal even with spotty coverage and normal usage.

It's a known issue, exacerbated I think by Android 7. The cold temperature results in the battery voltage dropping, which the phone misinterprets as the battery about to die.

Sent from my Pixel XL

• Like 1

It's a known issue, exacerbated I think by Android 7. The cold temperature results in the battery voltage dropping, which the phone misinterprets as the battery about to die.

Sent from my Pixel XL

I'm not sure sure it's the cold... this very thing happened to me this morning, it's not terribly cold, (I was in the car) phone shut down, wouldn't reboot until I plugged in. One I plugged in, the phone would reboot and I looked at the battery graph and it showed power at 24% and then sharp drop to 0% for some strange reason. I'm on 7.1.2 though so as the warning given when I join the beta program over a year ago, instability can, at times, be expected.

With the 7.1.2 update they took almost an extra month to bring to the 6P, then left out features the 5X got such as finger print scanner gestures and removing the TERRIBLE automate DND when using the phone. Obviously there were more hardware issues to work out with 7.1.2 on the 6P and I guess, they still need some "working", to say the least.... Ha ha

Choice #1 = Grin and bear it
Choice #2 = Hard reset and leave the beta program

So I noticed today that I have the Google Assistant on my N6P. Out of habit I hold home button due to the original Google Now on the N7 2012. After holding a pop-up came up asking to activate the assistant. I am completely stock but am enrolled in the beta program. My build number is NPG05F, Android 7.1.2. My Google App version is 6.13.25.21.arm64. My Google Now Launcher version is 1.4.large.

• Like 1

So I noticed today that I have the Google Assistant on my N6P. Out of habit I hold home button due to the original Google Now on the N7 2012. After holding a pop-up came up asking to activate the assistant. I am completely stock but am enrolled in the beta program. My build number is NPG05F, Android 7.1.2. My Google App version is 6.13.25.21.arm64. My Google Now Launcher version is 1.4.large.

Several devices running nougat have started getting the assistant via Google play services update. My HTC Bolt has it now.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks, I was wondering how to activate it

• 2 weeks later...

Updated Beta coming down for N6P, includes FingerPrint gestures NPG47I

Let's hope the new baseband and kernel are LOADS better than the last.  Absolutely terrible battery life!! Well apply when I can charge my phones since battery is been beat up all day, like usual, since the last "lobbed" update we got. :-\

I've definitely noticed a pretty significant drop in battery life as well. Although I'm running a custom 7.1.1 ROM, I'm convinced it's the radio. I'm considering flashing back to 3.78.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone swapped their Sprint SIM for one from another country?  I'm going to Ireland and cannot decide whether to try picking up a SIM in Ireland or just using a mifi device for the group to use.

If I go with the mifi device, can Textra send texts via WiFi overseas?

Any advice welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone swapped their Sprint SIM for one from another country?  I'm going to Ireland and cannot decide whether to try picking up a SIM in Ireland or just using a mifi device for the group to use.

If I go with the mifi device, can Textra send texts via WiFi overseas?

Any advice welcome.

We had bought a SIM card in Greece from Cosmote in 2015. It was set up on my wife's old AT&T iphone that year. Went back in the summer of 2016 and used it on my Nexus 6p. It worked perfectly. Coverage and sound quality were outstanding. Much better than what I experience with Sprint.

Was a bit stingy with the data. Adjusted settings to limit data use. 1 GB cost about 5-10 Euro (can't recall exactly). Don't know about Textra but I didn't use Whatsapp often because it was tied to my SIM card number. Same applies to Textra. Found myself using Facebook messenger most often. Most people there avoid SMS because they still charge for texting. Found it funny that a few people I knew with iphones did not use iMessage because of possibility of the message reverting to SMS.

My sister had used mifi in the past. I prefer just using a smartphone. Much simpler and data usage is easier to limit with a smartphone.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't know if any of you had the early shut down issue with your 6P's but if you did AND bought from Google direct, you should reach out through the warranty page and see about getting a replacement. I had the issue and got my 6P replaced with a brand new one. If they didn't have one, they were going to refund full price paid to me in exchange for my 6P with issues.

• Like 3

I don't know if any of you had the early shut down issue with your 6P's but if you did AND bought from Google direct, you should reach out through the warranty page and see about getting a replacement. I had the issue and got my 6P replaced with a brand new one. If they didn't have one, they were going to refund full price paid to me in exchange for my 6P with issues.

I wonder if Amazon will, i shutdown between 12-15%

• Like 1

I wonder if Amazon will, i shutdown between 12-15%

I'm the same way...

First try Google >>>>> https://support.google.com/store/answer/6301411?hl=en and instead of going to Huawei (like the instructions say to) chat with Google support.  I know, for sure, Google is extending the window of coverage for devices from them but I don't know if Huawei is (I would imagine they are but never know).  There are suits being filed because of this issue and there's a bit of finger pointing between the software and hardware suppliers.  I'd think BOTH would just want this behind them but right now, I can only speak to how Google is handling devices the sold directly. 

Good luck! 

• Like 1