Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

True, it will be good enough to continuously upload pics to Google Photos. I'm hoping that our 6P shares some Italian carriers LTE bands so I can swap out the Fi SIM for the Italian carriers SIM for some LTE help with those pics.

I'd think you would rather upload on wifi as data would be burned through pretty quick (I'd think) uploading over mobile data, no matter the speed. That, and wanting to conserve batter for the travels and ability to take more pics. :)

Sounds like a fun trip regardless, congrats!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, it appears these are my two choices, if going with an Italian carrier SIM.

Vodafone  band 3 @1800MHz & band 7 @2600MHz; they have band 20, but no band 20 on our 6P.

TIM           band 3 @1800MHz & band 7 @2600MHz; again, no band 20

Here is what I found on our version of the Nexus 6P:

GSM/EDGE:  850/900/1800/1900 MHz

UMTS/WCDMA:  B1/2/4/5/8

CDMA:  BC0/1/10

LTE (FDD): B2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/30  LTE (TDD): B41

CA DL:  doesn't matter since band 3 & 7 aren't supported

I sure could use you antenna/radio experts to chime in here.  Would either of these Italian carrier SIMs work to get LTE in my 6P?

Appreciate the time and advice

Well, it appears these are my two choices, if going with an Italian carrier SIM.

Vodafone  band 3 @1800MHz & band 7 @2600MHz; they have band 20, but no band 20 on our 6P.

TIM           band 3 @1800MHz & band 7 @2600MHz; again, no band 20

Here is what I found on our version of the Nexus 6P:

GSM/EDGE:  850/900/1800/1900 MHz

UMTS/WCDMA:  B1/2/4/5/8

CDMA:  BC0/1/10

LTE (FDD): B2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/25/26/29/30  LTE (TDD): B41

CA DL:  doesn't matter since band 3 & 7 aren't supported

I sure could use you antenna/radio experts to chime in here.  Would either of these Italian carrier SIMs work to get LTE in my 6P?

Appreciate the time and advice

I've roamed using Fi in Rome on the 6P on band 3 and 7 (vodaphone).  

It worked fine for me (I might have had to use the *#*#FIROAM#*#* code initially)... 256k is actually good enough for most anything IMO when paired with WiFi.

I personally wouldn't pay for a local SIM.  It's not particularly cheap, and it is a bit of a pain to set up (I spent 45 minutes in a vodaphone store in Italy a couple years back).  You'll pay like 40ish bucks after taxes to get something like 2GB of data... which isn't enough to upload lots of photos anyways. 

JMO, but just use Fi and stay in places with good Wi-Fi.

• Like 1

I've roamed using Fi in Rome on the 6P on band 3 and 7 (vodaphone).

It worked fine for me (I might have had to use the *#*#FIROAM#*#* code initially)... 256k is actually good enough for most anything IMO when paired with WiFi.

I personally wouldn't pay for a local SIM. It's not particularly cheap, and it is a bit of a pain to set up (I spent 45 minutes in a vodaphone store in Italy a couple years back). You'll pay like 40ish bucks after taxes to get something like 2GB of data... which isn't enough to upload lots of photos anyways.

JMO, but just use Fi and stay in places with good Wi-Fi.

In theory a great idea to stay on WiFi, however we will be on a cruise ship and their rates and reliability are meh. Data only 10gb SIM on Vodafone is 30 Euro, which would be a good option as much as we're going to be in Italy.

• 1 month later...

I still have mine. I need to get the screen repaired. Bought it on opening day for preorder. Had it 3 days and broke it. Now screen kits are more reasonable.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 2

I still have mine. I need to get the screen repaired. Bought it on opening day for preorder. Had it 3 days and broke it. Now screen kits are more reasonable.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

Robert,

I lack the vision and skill to repair my own screen, but shipped it to Texas through Huawei to get it repaired. Made me sick when I busted it. Live and learn, I'll bite the bullet and build the cost of nexus protect into my next nexus purchase.

Robert,

I lack the vision and skill to repair my own screen, but shipped it to Texas through Huawei to get it repaired. Made me sick when I busted it. Live and learn, I'll bite the bullet and build the cost of nexus protect into my next nexus purchase.

How much did that cost?

If memory serves $160. Which made me even more angry at myself. First phone I've ever broken. Laid it on top of the garbage can in the garage while I was working. Forgot it was there, flipped up the lid and it went for a 20 foot ride in the air across the garage.

Sick

Just sick

• Like 2

I must admit, this phone is awesome!  I cannot believe how much of an upgrade it is over the Nexus 6.  Love it and the battery life so far has been phenomenal.

Couldn't agree more.  Listening to different android bloggers podcasts, a fair number have said that the 6P battery is just meh.  Not for me, but have to admit I'm running a lovely ROM and custom kernel.  Getting in the neighborhood of 1 year after purchase and I still absolutely love this phone!

• Like 1

Anyone else notice the GPS is significantly worse than the Nexus 6? I can't say I'm surprised, seeing as the 6P is a metal case, but it's definitely frustrating at times.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else's phone bounce around the bands. I keep sending out 3/4 texts at a time etc. Only thing I see is my phone is switching bands a lot. Goes from lte 25-41-26 and back and forth. Just curious. Reside in south Minneapolis if that helps.

Anybody else's phone bounce around the bands. I keep sending out 3/4 texts at a time etc. Only thing I see is my phone is switching bands a lot. Goes from lte 25-41-26 and back and forth. Just curious. Reside in south Minneapolis if that helps.

Try rebooting. My phone does that every now and then. A reboot fixes it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

• 5 weeks later...

So my Moto X Pure fell off my knee tonight and shattered to pieces.  It's alive, but completely unusable.  I've got a Nexus 6p coming on Sunday, can I just pull the SIM from my Moto X Pure and activate that with the IMEI from the Nexus via the Sprint Website or will I need to go to a store/call support?. 

So my Moto X Pure fell off my knee tonight and shattered to pieces. It's alive, but completely unusable. I've got a Nexus 6p coming on Sunday, can I just pull the SIM from my Moto X Pure and activate that with the IMEI from the Nexus via the Sprint Website or will I need to go to a store/call support?.

Should be good to go using the site. If that fails use chat but definitely don't need to go to a store!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I was able to activate in minutes on the website with my SIM from the MXPE.  Love this phone save for one thing, Google disabled Wi-Fi Direct Miracast in the build.prop.  I wish I had known that before i ordered.  I looked at the wikipedia page for the comparison of Nexus devices and Miracast was not listed as removed.  We don't have High Speed Internet where we live, so a Chromecast is not an option (trust me, I've tried everything).  I'm guessing my only option is to root and modify the build.prop to enable the service.  The downfall there is that I can't take monthly OTA security patches because the system is now modified.

Is there any other way to screen mirror this device?  I've read that HDMI via USB-C is not supported.

Very impressed how this thing latches on to B26, however, it doesn't want to let go and the B26 sites around me are few/far between.  It gets a little laggy until switching to B25 or B41.

I just moved from the Nexus 6 to the 6P despite planning to wait for the next model.  The price was right, I like the front facing speakers, and I don't like HTC.

I have absolutely awful reception.  The Nexus 6 was outstanding, easily eclipsing the PCS LTE and CDMA performance of the Galaxy Note 2, which was very good itself.  Huawei is being absolutely useless with this, telling me to replace the SIM card, factory reset the phone, repeatedly reset carrier settings, put it on another carrier and then back to Sprint, and lots of basically "f**k off" troubleshooting steps.

The phone likes to hunt for LTE bands, dropping the connection frequently.  Band transitions take at least 25 seconds, compared to virtually instant on the Nexus 6.  When the phone drops to CDMA, my first indication that it has picked up LTE is having my data just stop in its tracks with no indication of anything.  After 7 or 8 seconds, it goes to No Service (hollow outline of bars), and then the bars come back.  Signal Check Pro then shows it to be on LTE, but the phone has no data connection for at least another 20-30 seconds.  It often behaves similarly between LTE bands.

Often when the phone is on B41 with a good signal (-95 or so) and you ask it to actually do anything, it sits there for a while, then drops to band 25, then gives an error message.  I can then retry and it will go through correctly.

Data speeds are absolute crap compared to the Nexus 6, too, and I live in a very well built out area.

Compared to the Nexus 6, which remains usable but slow on B25 at -115 or -117 signal, this thing needs to be forced to CDMA frequently if LTE signal gets below about -108, since it can't seem to understand that it isn't getting through to anyone.  Holding the phone differently does not help at all.

As an engineer who works (among other fields) with telecommunications equipment, I would pin the problem on a bad TX antenna connection or defective radio.  I feel like the phone is receiving a good signal, but its own transmissions are not able to be heard by the cell site.

My question is this:  How many people have the Nexus 6P?  How is the performance?  Who has had the Note II and the Nexus 6?  How does it compare?  How does your phone behave when switching bands?  Is the radio performance just garbage on this phone, or do I have a bad one?

I'm going to post this on Reddit /r/Sprint as well, and will post any relevant answers I get from one site on the other, just in case someone else has this problem.

I took that to be more a general thread.  I looked through it already, didn't find what I wanted.  Additionally, a single thread for all posts, questions, commentary about a device is hard to follow, and more likely ignored.

That and there isn't a posted rule to that effect.  There are other similar threads, just not in the Huawei section.

Edit:  Almost forgot, I wanted to keep it separate so I could beat Huawei up with it more easily if no one else here has these issues.  They are being very difficult when I am 98% sure I have a bad device.  I posted a specific comparison, or actually two, and I am hoping that at least a few others can give their views.

My 6p reception beats my old n6 signal wise. Best phone I've had as far as signal goes.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Unfortunately, I have to agree with david279.  I came from a Nexus 6 to a 6P and the reception is great.  I do have rare issues where my radio will sometimes hunt and not perform but a reset resolves this issue.  What software are you on, by chance?  I'm on Developers Preview N...

Any particular reason you didn't use the existing 6P thread?

I am unsure why a post, let alone a new thread was necessary.  MrZorbatron seems already to have come to the supported conclusion that this particular unit is defective or damaged.  Do not make a fuss about it -- just return or exchange the unit.  If it cannot be returned or exchanged, caveat emptor.

AJ