Google Nexus 6P by Huawei (was [Rumor] Huawei Nexus phone?)

jefbal99

My Nexus 6P just formed the bootloop issue over the weekend.  Woke up at 3 AM and my device was sitting on the Google Boot image.  Then reboot, over and over.  Didn't do anything but plug it in and went to sleep.

I finally got around to calling Google today.  It took about an hour and a couple of people escalation.  Finally got a hold of someone who understood the issue.  They agreed to replace my Nexus 6P 64GB with a Pixel XL 128 GB.  I didn't ask them to do that, and assumed they would not do anything for me.  But I killed them with kindness and had no expectation.  Totally shocked.

They authorized my card for the full $900+ replacement price, but said the authorization will fall off in 3 days.  They will only put the charge through if I do not return my old Nexus 6P in 21 days.  They said I will receive the replacement express delivery in 2 days.  I'm still shocked!  BTW, I am the original owner and purchased the 6P directly from Google.  I preordered on opening day September 2015.  So this device is nearly two years old.  I'm also a Project Fi customer.

Robert

• Like 7

My Nexus 6P just formed the bootloop issue over the weekend.  Woke up at 3 AM and my device was sitting on the Google Boot image.  Then reboot, over and over.  Didn't do anything but plug it in and went to sleep.

I finally got around to calling Google today.  It took about an hour and a couple of people escalation.  Finally got a hold of someone who understood the issue.  They agreed to replace my Nexus 6P 64GB with a Pixel XL 128 GB.  I didn't ask them to do that, and assumed they would not do anything for me.  But I killed them with kindness and had no expectation.  Totally shocked.

They authorized my card for the full $900+ replacement price, but said the authorization will fall off in 3 days.  They will only put the charge through if I do not return my old Nexus 6P in 21 days.  They said I will receive the replacement express delivery in 2 days.  I'm still shocked!  BTW, I am the original owner and purchased the 6P directly from Google.  I preordered on opening day September 2015.  So this device is nearly two years old.  I'm also a Project Fi customer.

Robert

WOW! That's awesome! Just think, you've gone from dropping it merely days after buying it, to this. :)  

• Like 1

Ugh, so the reboot issue I've been experiencing since April with the phone shutting down with about 15%-18% battery remaining is driving me nuts, I was so hoping that Oreo would resolve, but alas, it hasn't.  Started with Google support, I've already done a reset back in June with no joy.  Because my phone was purchased via Amazon, they directed me to Hauwei support.  I've emailed them, we'll see where it goes.

Hoping something can get resolved as my purchase was 8/26/16

6 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

Ugh, so the reboot issue I've been experiencing since April with the phone shutting down with about 15%-18% battery remaining is driving me nuts, I was so hoping that Oreo would resolve, but alas, it hasn't.  Started with Google support, I've already done a reset back in June with no joy.  Because my phone was purchased via Amazon, they directed me to Hauwei support.  I've emailed them, we'll see where it goes.

Hoping something can get resolved as my purchase was 8/26/16

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Huawei have been terrible with this situation.... They'll most likely tell you to send to them and they'll fix for $150 IIRC. Night and day difference from how Google is handling it. ?

15 hours ago, mrrogers1 said:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Huawei have been terrible with this situation.... They'll most likely tell you to send to them and they'll fix for $150 IIRC. Night and day difference from how Google is handling it. ?

I hope not, this seems to be a much larger issue...

5 hours ago, jefbal99 said:

I hope not, this seems to be a much larger issue...

No, it's is that same issue, they just aren't fixing the phones for free/extending the warranty to fix for free like Google did. 

47 minutes ago, mrrogers1 said:

No, it's is that same issue, they just aren't fixing the phones for free/extending the warranty to fix for free like Google did. 

I meant bigger as in the number of users impacted.  This will probably be my last Huawei device if they don't give decent support.

36 minutes ago, jefbal99 said:

I meant bigger as in the number of users impacted.  This will probably be my last Huawei device if they don't give decent support.

Oh, ok, more people NOT buying directly from Google, I get what you are saying. Well, maybe by some stroke of luck they'll treat you better than the two people I know that got devices from Amazon and Best Buy that are dealing with it.  The actually amount is $165 for battery replacement which is what they said they would do for the early shut down and boot looping issues. 

I think what we are seeing is a result of the soured relationship between the two companies and Huawei's insistence that this is and was never their hardware issue.... and, to be honest, I don't think it was either.  It sucks that this is the way they are treating folks though, for sure. :(

9 minutes ago, mrrogers1 said:

Oh, ok, more people NOT buying directly from Google, I get what you are saying. Well, maybe by some stroke of luck they'll treat you better than the two people I know that got devices from Amazon and Best Buy that are dealing with it.  The actually amount is $165 for battery replacement which is what they said they would do for the early shut down and boot looping issues. 

I think what we are seeing is a result of the soured relationship between the two companies and Huawei's insistence that this is and was never their hardware issue.... and, to be honest, I don't think it was either.  It sucks that this is the way they are treating folks though, for sure. :(

I'm not sure if it's hardware or software or a combo of one impacting the other, but they need to support customers. Replacing a battery for $165 is a bunch of crap.

We'll see what my experience is, but live and learn...

• Like 1

Update:

According to Hauwei, my device is under warranty until November 21st and they will replace the battery for free, however, they don't offer swaps or replacements.  I'll be without a phone for a 7-10 days.  I don't have any spare devices as my Ex-wife destroyed them all over the last few years.  Need to get the screen replaced on my Moto X Pure so I can utilize that before sending this one in.

I also have to fully wipe the device and clear anything from it, ugh!

I got mine replaced but it took being persistent. Maybe try another agent.

As a side my 6p just got the latest ota September patch. So much prefer the 6p touch targets and such compared to the XL I just wish the Battey in the 6p was better...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ingenium said:

I tried getting mine replaced and they said it was out of warranty and wouldn't budge. Purchased from Google on launch day.

Mine was out of warranty too and got a yes in less then a few minutes. I would call again.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2017 at 2:34 PM, jefbal99 said:

Update:

According to Hauwei, my device is under warranty until November 21st and they will replace the battery for free, however, they don't offer swaps or replacements.  I'll be without a phone for a 7-10 days.  I don't have any spare devices as my Ex-wife destroyed them all over the last few years.  Need to get the screen replaced on my Moto X Pure so I can utilize that before sending this one in.

I also have to fully wipe the device and clear anything from it, ugh!

Oh nice! I guess I should have asked when you got yours. Lol  

Good job! 

Shattered the screen on my Google-purchased 6P on launch day.  Paid to replace the screen.  Started having severe battery issues in the spring and contacted Google.  No problem at all, they sent me a refurb 6P, then sent mine in after I got the replacement.

Still a great device

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...