Sprint "Open World" plan (replaces International Value Roaming)

lilotimz

Yeah. I know. Sprint now has the worse offer for people who Travel to Canada and Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quoted it as it was written when I quoted it. I see the up date. Thanks. That is good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_Open_World/c9524b36-bae5-48ce-95ec-f4c536df8e30?ECID=vanity:openworld

Open World is now discontinued.

Better hold on to it while you can if you prefer that. Though $25/week for most areas might be better.

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_Global_Roaming/8fc1976f-831b-44a4-ab93-d1b3c36c39a3

Still 2G and has day passes for high speed

It's​ very odd that they just killed this plan. Especially after their recent unlimited data in the Caribbean promo. Looks like roaming costs got to Sprint.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html?ECID=vanity:globalroaming

See the new global roaming.

Unlimited free everything including LTE data in North America but only for those with unlimited plans.

Unlimited 2G data, text and 20¢/min calls everywhere with options to upgrade to LTE data for:

Canada/Mexico: $5/day, $25/week

China: $10/day, $50/week

Everywhere else: $5/day, $25/week

This is great. (Edit: not sarcastic there, I think it sounds good to me) Just switched to Unlimited Freedom plan for my family. 

Sprint just updated Global Roaming: High speed (up to LTE Speeds) passes are available on a daily or weekly basis and can be purchased in-country.

Open World is no longer offered for purchase.

Sprint Open World is no longer available for purchase. If you are currently signed up, you can can continue to use it. However, if you choose to remove Sprint Open World, it cannot be added back to your account.

• Like 2

If I'm understanding these changes correctly, the biggest loss going from Open World to this new plan is unlimited calling in Latin American countries, save for Mexico. However, bumping the top available speeds from 3G to 4G probably more than makes up for that for most people. It just depends on an individual's usage needs.

• Like 1

Sprint just updated Global Roaming: High speed (up to LTE Speeds) passes are available on a daily or weekly basis and can be purchased in-country.

Open World is no longer offered for purchase.

I am confused on the page it says $2 per day in Mexico and Canada or $10 a week. But then lower on the page it says free LTE in Canada and Mexico.

I am confused on the page it says $2 per day in Mexico and Canada or $10 a week. But then lower on the page it says free LTE in Canada and Mexico.

Unlimited LTE, talk and text in Canada/Mexico are free if you have an unlimited plan. If you are on a tiered plan then you will have to pay for LTE data and voice calls are 20¢/min.

https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/global-roaming.html?ECID=vanity:globalroaming

See the new global roaming.

Unlimited free everything including LTE data in North America but only for those with unlimited plans.

Unlimited 2G data, text and 20¢/min calls everywhere with options to upgrade to LTE data for:

Canada/Mexico: $5/day, $25/week

China: $10/day, $50/week

Everywhere else: $5/day, $25/week

Confused. I have the unlimited My Way plan. Includes me too?

Confused. I have the unlimited My Way plan. Includes me too?

Yep. The full list of plans is here under the question labeled "Is Sprint Global Roaming limited to certain plans?"

https://support.sprint.com/support/article/FAQs_about_Sprint_Global_Roaming/8fc1976f-831b-44a4-ab93-d1b3c36c39a3

• Like 1

See the open world thread, we've been discussing the changes there.

Oops! Lots of good threads on everything here.

It was a good move to dump Open World. This is a better offer in my opinion and it's nice how you can activate it so easily while on a trip.

• Like 1

An interesting little note, Sprint is using band 7 with Rogers for their LTE roaming, as a consequence, they claim most phones don't work in Canada. Looks like only the most modern of Sprint phones (i.e, the S8) support B7.

An interesting little note, Sprint is using band 7 with Rogers for their LTE roaming, as a consequence, they claim most phones don't work in Canada. Looks like only the most modern of Sprint phones (i.e, the S8) support B7.

Also all Sprint iPhones since the iPhone 6 are compatible with band 7 LTE.

I noticed that too…I'm surprised they aren't allowing us to use any lowband LTE - I know rogers has B12/17 and B5 LTE live in most of Canada...

I noticed that too…I'm surprised they aren't allowing us to use any lowband LTE - I know rogers has B12/17 and B5 LTE live in most of Canada...

Rogers probably doesn't want roaming customers congesting their low band spectrum. That part makes sense to me. I think the whole "doesn't work in Canada" message might be a glitch because it claims the iPhone won't work their either.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Since me plan qualifies, this is a better plan, it just needs one improvement: increase the 2g speeds to 128kb/sec. 64 is unusable.

Totally agree, 64 kb/sec is a joke.  They should at least up it to 128 kb/sec to be usable for anything.

Totally agree, 64 kb/sec is a joke.  They should at least up it to 128 kb/sec to be usable for anything.

I am sure they chose 64kb/s (8,000 bytes per second) for a reason.  It can do almost everything on your telephone other than stream video but it will send and receive data much slower than normal.  That speed is more than fast enough to stream audio, send and receive text messages, send and receive email without attachments, and even do VoLTE if the correct compression codec is used.  It is fast enough to run just about anything you want in the background on your phone such as email refreshes or streaming your favorite compressed music. 

64kb/s just operates very slowly if you upload or download even moderately sized pictures or other files and is nearly worthless for any type of video uploads or downloads.  Much of the internet is designed for connections slower than 64kb/s.  An example is that a single 5MB picture could take more than 10 minutes to upload or download.  However as long as you get the full 64kb/s and your connection does not break, it should work if you wait long enough.

On connections of this speed you can expect the following:

• Sending or receiving MMS messages will likely not work or will very slowly and may timeout before it completes
  • Email with attachments will be terribly slow and could take an unbearably long time to finish sending or receiving a single email in the background with an attachment
  • Downloading anything including app updates will be terribly slow
  • Facetime, Skype or other video chat will not work
  • Any type of streaming video including video embedded in web pages, Facebook, etc. may timeout
  • Most streaming audio should work as long as it is set at a lower quality but it may take a while to start as it may have to buffer for a while before it starts.
  • VoLTE if enabled should work fine.  AT&T VoLTE uses the AMR-WB codec, which consumes variable data rate of up to 23.85kbps upload or download data while that side of the conversation is sending over the voice channel depending on the range of the sounds it is sending.  Generally only one person is talking at a time so either your upload or download is in use on a VoLTE call unless you are talking over each other and then both are in use.
  • Mapping and direction applications should work fine unless you are downloading satellite view which will be very slow
  • All of your other games and apps should work but may work slower than normal
  • Like 1

I am sure they chose 64kb/s (8,000 bytes per second) for a reason. It can do almost everything on your telephone other than stream video but it will send and receive data much slower than normal. That speed is more than fast enough to stream audio, send and receive text messages, send and receive email without attachments, and even do VoLTE if the correct compression codec is used. It is fast enough to run just about anything you want in the background on your phone such as email refreshes or streaming your favorite compressed music.

64kb/s just operates very slowly if you upload or download even moderately sized pictures or other files and is nearly worthless for any type of video uploads or downloads. Much of the internet is designed for connections slower than 64kb/s. An example is that a single 5MB picture could take more than 10 minutes to upload or download. However as long as you get the full 64kb/s and your connection does not break, it should work if you wait long enough.

On connections of this speed you can expect the following:

• Sending or receiving MMS messages will likely not work or will very slowly and may timeout before it completes
  • Email with attachments will be terribly slow and could take an unbearably long time to finish sending or receiving a single email in the background with an attachment
  • Downloading anything including app updates will be terribly slow
  • Facetime, Skype or other video chat will not work
  • Any type of streaming video including video embedded in web pages, Facebook, etc. may timeout
  • Most streaming audio should work as long as it is set at a lower quality but it may take a while to start as it may have to buffer for a while before it starts.
  • VoLTE if enabled should work fine. AT&T VoLTE uses the AMR-WB codec, which consumes variable data rate of up to 23.85kbps upload or download data while that side of the conversation is sending over the voice channel depending on the range of the sounds it is sending. Generally only one person is talking at a time so either your upload or download is in use on a VoLTE call unless you are talking over each other and then both are in use.
  • Mapping and direction applications should work fine unless you are downloading satellite view which will be very slow
  • All of your other games and apps should work but may work slower than normal
Normally I'd say that's fine, but Google maps doesn't even work at that speed (which is pretty much all I use my phone data for overseas). Most of the time things just time out instead at 64kbps.

Normally I'd say that's fine, but Google maps doesn't even work at that speed (which is pretty much all I use my phone data for overseas). Most of the time things just time out instead at 64kbps.

Uhh not from experience abroad...google maps was more than sufficient with roaming speeds. And I was in vancouver before.

Uhh not from experience abroad...google maps was more than sufficient with roaming speeds. And I was in vancouver before.

I should have noted that it works in some places. Vancouver is one that it did really well. I think it depends on how they handle the throttling.