Sprint "Open World" plan (replaces International Value Roaming)

lilotimz

This Open World has really become quite impressive.  I never would have guessed Sprint would have such good international roaming agreements included in their standard plans.

Anyways, I've had the chance to use Sprint Open World in Mexico a few times now.  The first time, I activated Open World at Sprint.com before I left Phoenix,  I got the Welcome to Open World text from Sprint within minutes of crossing the border, I had to reboot my phone a couple times to get data to authenticate on Movistar, and it's worked flawlessly ever since.  Usually get 2-6 meg's/sec on the downlink while on Movistar.  Can't beat it!  :tu:

• Like 8

This Open World has really become quite impressive.  I never would have guessed Sprint would have such good international roaming agreements included in their standard plans.

Anyways, I've had the chance to use Sprint Open World in Mexico a few times now.  The first time, I activated Open World at Sprint.com before I left Phoenix,  I got the Welcome to Open World text from Sprint within minutes of crossing the border, I had to reboot my phone a couple times to get data to authenticate on Movistar, and it's worked flawlessly ever since.  Usually get 2-6 meg's/sec on the downlink while on Movistar.  Can't beat it!  :tu:

Had this issue last night, data would not authenticate neither voice, and was unable to use my phone at all. My MXPE would be connected to Movistar but it was pretty much dead. Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20151216-133242.png

With all the trials, errors, and successes in the past 11 pages, would the OP (@lilotimz) want to make a summary of what steps should be taken for the best success?  Lilotimz doesn't have to do this, but maybe someone who has worked through issues could write it and Lilotimz put it in the OP. 

Might be nice to have a reference for folks to link to. 

ie. Step 1. Activate Open World on your account online, 2. turn phone to World mode? etc. etc. Then perhaps who the best person to call is if there are issues?

• Like 1

A little follow up now that I am back home:

After first landing in Mexico, my phone would not register on any network automatically so I had to manually go in to iOS settings>carrier, unslect "automatically select carrier", and select Movistar.   After doing this the first time for my phone and my wife's, the phones automarically connected with Movistar on their own for the rest of the trip.

iOS seems to have a feature built in called "Dail assist" which popped up each time I made a phone call (none of my contacts have a +1 in front of the saved number - I think Dial assist helped with this) 

iMessages and incoming SMS worked flawlessly(including short codes) but outgoing SMS/MMS needed a 1 added in front of the number you were sending the message to (which was a bit of a pain because the incoming message did not show a 1 prior to the number so a simple reply did not work).

Upon returning to the states, no changes were required to the iPhones, both found Sprint right away and we haven't had issues like others have mentioned.

One thing Sprint should improve is how they show your current usage on MySprint.  I have also seen others mention this so I am not concerned but it shows that I have used 49/0 International Roaming minutes.  The data & text categories both recognize that I am on Sprint OpenWorld so I would think the voice category would also be able to be programmed to do that.

Overall it was a very good experience (and you can't beat free!)  Thanks Sprint!

Edit: Spelling...

Edited by snowmobiler487
  • Like 1

A little follow up now that I am back home:

After first landing in Mexico, my phone would not register on any network automatically so I had to manually go in to iOS settings>carrier, unslect "automatically select carrier", and select Movistar.   After doing this the first time for my phone and my wife's, the phones automarically connected with Movistar on their own for the rest of the trip.

iOS seems to have a feature built in called "Dail assist" which popped up each time I made a phone call (none of my contacts have a +1 in front of the saved number - I think Dial assist helped with this) 

iMessages and incoming SMS worked flawlessly(including short codes) but outgoing SMS/MMS needed a 1 added in front of the number you were sending the message to (which was a bit of a pain because the incoming message did not show a 1 prior to the number so a simply reply did not work).

Upon returning to the states, no changes were required to the iPhones, both found Sprint right away and we haven't had issues like others have mentioned.

One thing Sprint should improve is how they show your current usage on MySprint.  I have also seen others mention this so I am not concerned but it shows that I have used 49/0 International Roaming minutes.  The data & text categories both recognize that I am on Sprint OpenWorld so I would think the voice category would also be able to be programmed to do that.

Overall it was a very good experience (and you can't beat free!)  Thanks Sprint!

Thanks for the report... Where do you see IOS settings > Carrier?  I do not have that on 9.0.2.

I have a Nexus 6P. Is adding Open World the best option to use my phone while in: Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, & Italy?

It's $30/gig (billed per kb) but you get 3G speeds. Global roaming is free but it's 64kbps. Both are 20¢/min and free text.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have a friend visiting family in the UK using global roaming, has been working beautifully, hangouts dialer using Gvoice integration is perfect! 64kbs is more than enough for VOIP..

Here is a signal check screen shot...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B94C49085B302A13!6343&authkey=!AKZcN2ixe2DRnB0&v=3&ithint=photo%2cpng

• Like 4

I put open world on my account for a trip to Canada. Fantastic speeds and coverage on Rogers hspa+. Connected easily too. I've only spent 60 MB of my allotment in the 4 days I've been here so 1 GB of high speed data is plenty.

• Like 5

I have a Nexus 6P.  Is adding Open World the best option to use my phone while in: Spain, Portugal, Greece, Turkey, & Italy?

Personally I would much rather use Global Roaming than Open World.  I mean if you don't mind paying $30/GB for faster speeds compared to using unlimited free 2G.  I think it just depends on the country you are visiting and how well their cell service is over there.  I was South Korea about 1.5 months ago using Global Roaming and I sure as heck was not limited to 2G speeds since South Korea cell service is top notch in the world.

• Like 1

When finally sitting down and comparing services, it seems like going with International Sprint Global Roaming is the best option.

Then use the cash I would have used to get a Project Fi SIM on internet minutes on the ship.

I already have International Sprint Global Roaming (not Open World) selected as an add-on.  Do I need/want to add any other add-ons?  I would like to make sure when we arrive on the other side of the pond, everything is all setup and running as smoothly as possible.

I didn't see an option to add a GB for $30 (3G).  Is it listed as a service add-on as well?

Thanks

When finally sitting down and comparing services, it seems like going with International Sprint Global Roaming is the best option.

Then use the cash I would have used to get a Project Fi SIM on internet minutes on the ship.

I already have International Sprint Global Roaming (not Open World) selected as an add-on. Do I need/want to add any other add-ons? I would like to make sure when we arrive on the other side of the pond, everything is all setup and running as smoothly as possible.

I didn't see an option to add a GB for $30 (3G). Is it listed as a service add-on as well?

Thanks

It's charged as an overage. Only pay for what you use.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

It's charged as an overage. Only pay for what you use.

If it's charged as an overage, then how do you choose 3G speeds instead of the unlimited 2G?

If it's charged as an overage, then how do you choose 3G speeds instead of the unlimited 2G?

Open world is 1GB of high speed data, plus $30/GB overage. The other plan is unlimited 2G data. You have to pick which one you want, there isn't a way to get both currently. It's been a while since I looked but both plans have different countries its available in as well.

• Like 1

Open world is 1GB of high speed data, plus $30/GB overage. The other plan is unlimited 2G data. You have to pick which one you want, there isn't a way to get both currently. It's been a while since I looked but both plans have different countries its available in as well.

Nah, the country list is the same for both plans. Open World just gives the unlimited talk, and included 1GB of high speed data in Canada and most Latin American countries. In the additional countries Open World charges $0.20 per minute and $30/GB right off the bat.

• Like 2

If you sign up for open world but you are in an additional country versus the included country, do you lose the ability to have 2g data? In other words in an additional country all data is high speed with an overage charge?

I wish they would just have one plan that gives us some amount of high speed data in countries and then backs down to 2g unlimited after that.

That is not accurate. Open world has a list of included countries and a separate list of additional countries. It is the additional countries list that matches between the two programs. The included countries list is very small. You only get the free gigabyte of high-speed data in the included countries. In the additional countries, data is an overage charge from the very beginning. This is laid out nicely on the open world website and there are two different links, one for included countries and one for additional countries.

It's absolutely accurate. You restated what I already said.

It's absolutely accurate. You restated what I already said.

You are correct. My apologies. I completely misread your post and I attempted to delete my response. I edited it instead but my apologies to you.

Sorry for thread-jacking with the International Sprint Global Roaming I was talking about. (vs. Open World)

Does anyone know if there are any other boxes to be checked in the service add-ons section to enable International Sprint Global Roaming?  .20/minute calls, unlimited international texts, unlimited 2G data

This plan will cover us with the exception of Greece & Turkey.

Sorry for thread-jacking with the International Sprint Global Roaming I was talking about. (vs. Open World)

Does anyone know if there are any other boxes to be checked in the service add-ons section to enable International Sprint Global Roaming?  .20/minute calls, unlimited international texts, unlimited 2G data

This plan will cover us with the exception of Greece & Turkey.

Nope.  Just make sure you have the Sprint Global Roaming service added to your account and then you are all good.

• Like 1

Sprint just announced a major expansion of their international roaming programs, adding 36 cities. The list is really all over the place and quite impressive. The only significant hole that I can tell is the GCC at this point.

http://m.androidcentral.com/sprint-adds-36-more-countries-its-international-roaming-add-ons?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 3