Samsung Galaxy Note 5 & Edge+ Rumor Thread

lilotimz

That makes more sense, but I'm still hoping it is secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both "Magnetic Secure Transmission," or MST and nfc, won't transmit you card's data. it only transmits a code that is only good for a few min, and it uses a new code each time. It is secured with knox, and have to be unlocked with fingerprint or a pin, for it to work .

I think it is more secure then having the card with you.

What is the story behind the "the full Richard Yarrell" reference in the poll?  From what I have seen in other comment sections, that guy is a known troll, maybe a T-Mobile troll.

AJ

What is the story behind the "the full Richard Yarrell" reference in the poll? From what I have seen in other comment sections, that guy is a known troll, maybe a T-Mobile troll.

AJ

One of the commenters gives the back story. Apparently one of the homeless shelters in NYC took him in, enabled him to be their IT Coordinator once he passed those, then he became a troll online, first for HTC/Sprint then Samsung/T-Mobile. Just an odd story all around.

• Like 1

One of the commenters gives the back story. Apparently one of the homeless shelters in NYC took him in, enabled him to be their IT Coordinator once he passed those, then he became a troll online, first for HTC/Sprint then Samsung/T-Mobile. Just an odd story all around.

Well okay then. Just when I think the world couldn't get any more strange.

Seems they maybe using the exact same SAMOLED display from the N4 based on the review from phone arena.  I'm a tiny bit disappointed as I liked the brighter screen on my S6 and was hoping the N5 would be just as bright (#firstworldproblems)

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note5-Review_id4059

bottom of page 1

Seems they maybe using the exact same SAMOLED display from the N4 based on the review from phone arena.  I'm a tiny bit disappointed as I liked the brighter screen on my S6 and was hoping the N5 would be just as bright (#firstworldproblems)

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-Note5-Review_id4059

bottom of page 1

The Note 4 already had the best smartphone display in the world so I see this as a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

• Like 3

The Note 4 already had the best smartphone display in the world so I see this as a case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

How so?  SAMOLED basically is never an accurate display.

AJ

How so? SAMOLED basically is never an accurate display.

AJ

The Super in "Super AMOLED" has nothing to do with the display itself, just the layering for the touch screen being part of it. My personal preference is AMOLED over IPS, but I can see how some would like IPS.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

The Super in "Super AMOLED" has nothing to do with the display itself, just the layering for the touch screen being part of it. My personal preference is AMOLED over IPS, but I can see how some would like IPS.

Hmm, I was under the impression that the "S" was for Samsung -- then Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode.  If Super instead because the digitizer is integrated, that makes sense.

Good to know...

AJ

How so? SAMOLED basically is never an accurate display.

AJ

DisplayMate had a very high regard for the Note 4 display.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note4_ShootOut_1.htm

Likewise for the Note5 and GS6e+.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note5_ShootOut_1.htm

• Like 1

Was just coming by to comment that displaymate tested the N5, seems there were some improvement in the display compared to the N4, i guess i will trust displaymate's test over phone arena's test

Its no longer true that SAMOLED screen aren't accurate.  Samsung has introduce display color profile selection that you can select to match the RGB gamut reference calibration if that's what you prefer.  Its pretty accurate too, I still prefer the adapative display for day to day use though for the pop color

• Like 1

Got my Note 5 today. So far so good

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

If not too much trouble, could you let us know how network performance is on the device compared to your Nexus 5. How it hold signal and releases certain LTE frequencies as you move about.

• Like 1

Was just coming by to comment that displaymate tested the N5, seems there were some improvement in the display compared to the N4, i guess i will trust displaymate's test over phone arena's test

Its no longer true that SAMOLED screen aren't accurate.  Samsung has introduce display color profile selection that you can select to match the RGB gamut reference calibration if that's what you prefer.  Its pretty accurate too, I still prefer the adapative display for day to day use though for the pop color

I guess I have been asleep at the wheel.  Though I write many of the FCC OET RF articles, I have little interest in other aspects of Samsung smartphones -- because of TouchWiz.  I recall many an AnandTech review that painted an unpretty picture on PenTile resolution, chromaticity, and gamma.  I have a 2014 Moto X with an OLED display, which is fine for my purposes, though clearly inaccurate.  But if those issues have been corrected, then I stand corrected.

AJ

• Like 2

Touchwiz is probably the reason I don't get a Samsung phone. I guess I was turned off by it when I had my Epic 4G Touch.

I used to hate TouchWiz, but the new one isn't bad. Much less intrusive. And if you don't like the way it looks, you can install a theme.

• Like 3

If not too much trouble, could you let us know how network performance is on the device compared to your Nexus 5. How it hold signal and releases certain LTE frequencies as you move about.

I haven't had my Nexus 5 in a while. Been using a G3.

So far I'm not seeing a huge difference. I haven't picked up any CA, and I don't think it's deployed up by me yet. Was running around town yesterday and had some issues trying to load certain things with a good signal, but Samsung apps were updating and it was syncing to my Moto 360. Didn't have any trouble with it after the watch finished it's thing.

Does any one know if the phone will have the lte roaming?

When you want to know about the RF capabilities of a certain handset, always check The Wall for an article.  People are neglecting to do so, and our articles -- which used to attract 10,000+ readers -- are languishing, lately under 3000 readers.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-393-even-more-guardians-of-the-samsung-galaxy/

AJ

• Like 1

Just curious. It was talked about it earlier in the thread but I want to be sure cause I don't want to get a phone that doesn't have spark. On the coverage map on the sprint website it shows that sprint spark isn't available for the s6+ but when I put the note 5 it shows that the note 5 can get sprint spark. I'm hoping this is just an error since both are still new. Could someone please she'd some light one this for me? Thanks

Just curious. It was talked about it earlier in the thread but I want to be sure cause I don't want to get a phone that doesn't have spark. On the coverage map on the sprint website it shows that sprint spark isn't available for the s6+ but when I put the note 5 it shows that the note 5 can get sprint spark. I'm hoping this is just an error since both are still new. Could someone please she'd some light one this for me? Thanks

refer to AJ's post above yours, it would answer your question  :D

• Like 1

I haven't had my Nexus 5 in a while. Been using a G3.

So far I'm not seeing a huge difference. I haven't picked up any CA, and I don't think it's deployed up by me yet. Was running around town yesterday and had some issues trying to load certain things with a good signal, but Samsung apps were updating and it was syncing to my Moto 360. Didn't have any trouble with it after the watch finished it's thing.

Do you still have your G3 on an active line? we would be interest in the cell edge performance comparison, signal strength, band drop off, etc.  the Note5 have bad RF per the wall article, I just want to see how bad it is in real life.  My next upgrade is due in Nov and the Note5 is the top choice currently(unless the new nexus show some major surprises)

Thanks