Samsung Galaxy Note 5 & Edge+ Rumor Thread

lilotimz

http://www.att.com/cellphones/samsung/galaxy-s6-edgeplus.html#tab2

http://www.att.com/cellphones/samsung/galaxy-note5.html#sku=sku7670223

Here's the Death Star's pages for the GS6 Edge and Note 5, apparently the AT&T and T-Mobile variants are running the Samsung Shannon modem. Verizon and Sprint are still running the MDM9635 IIRC since Qualcomm is still more or less the only CDMA game in town. 

I'd be really curious to see the RF performance between the GSM carrier and the Verizon and Sprint variants. 

• Like 3

So am I to believe that the white edge + is not even going to be available for Sprint. I only see the gold and the black one on the pre order page!

So am I to believe that the white edge + is not even going to be available for Sprint. I only see the gold and the black one on the pre order page!

Apparently it isn't available on any of the US Carriers from what I've seen this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As it stands today (8/13/15) only the Gold and Black will be available for the S6+. Obviously this can change in the future.

Apparently it isn't available on any of the US Carriers from what I've seen this morning.

Sent from my Sprint LG G4

As it stands today (8/13/15) only the Gold and Black will be available for the S6+. Obviously this can change in the future.

Sent from my Sprint LG G4

I wouldn't mind playing with the white or the silver one those colors are very nice and how they accentuate the design! But the white note 5 is nice too. Just wish RF performance was better!

It is interesting.. All of the people complaining about the new Note and saying goodbye to Samsung, means they didn't really use the S-Pen much. There really isn't anything comparable.

I have the Note 4, upgrading isn't an option due to contract. As cool as the pen is, I don't use it much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is interesting.. All of the people complaining about the new Note and saying goodbye to Samsung, means they didn't really use the S-Pen much. There really isn't anything comparable.

I have the Note 4, upgrading isn't an option due to contract. As cool as the pen is, I don't use it much.

I don't get the devotion some of the Android fans have to old technology like SD cards and removable batteries, even though it's clear what way things are going. 

• Like 1

Which lte modem will sprint variant use? Also which lte category? I bet it's qualcomms due to the cdma....

Read the wall article......

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I like the S-pen, I'm using it now in fact to look at the NV sites completed map.

The removal of the SD card slot isn't a dealbreaker, it just makes what was looking like a sidegrade, now seem like a downgrade from the Note 4. I prefer a plastic body as well for the better reception and durability. It feels like it has less features than it's predecessor, so it isn't a very compelling buy.

Well its a deal breaker for me and many others. Note series was great because it was different than apple. It gave us a device to meet many different needs. Now they copied apple and eliminated the options that made it unique except for the spen of course.

My note 2 broke beyond repair a month ago after 3 years. I would have lost over a thousand pics. ( I do have many saved on drive and dropbox btw). All i did was remove the sd card and place it in my new G4 and everything good to go. Same with the battery. I dont have to look for an outlet ever. I just switch batteries, in 30 seconds im at 100%.

Samsung basically copied apple by offering less but paying more. Even the battery is smaller. They even removed the ir blaster. Sorry about the rant. Just disappointed that Speed and looks seem to be their priorty. These are not desktops and laptops. These are smartphones which have many functions so removing many options is just dumb.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I don't get the devotion some of the Android fans have to old technology like SD cards and removable batteries, even though it's clear what way things are going. 

I have a 128GB micro SD card and an extended battery on my Note 4.  Those were differentiating factors from the iPhone.  Now, not so much.  I grant you that Android is the primary differentiating factor for geeks, like me, but to the general public, when you can advertise a user-replaceable battery, making your phone look like an iPhone and have the same hardware limitations as an iPhone, does not make you stand out.  I so often hear, "Well, if it's going to be so much like an iPhone, I should just get an iPhone."  I personally know people who were waiting for the S6, but when it did not have a removeable battery or expandable memory, they went ahead and got an iPhone.

For me, I do not want to give up my 128GB micro SD card or my removable battery.  Having had the Note 2 and 3, as well, this is a big departure for Samsung, and I do think the lackluster sales of the S6 will translate to the Note 5, unfortunately.  I am already considering other options for a new phone, if my Note 4 gets long in the tooth, for me.

Read the wall article......

Sent from my Nexus 5

I didnt read the wall article thoroughly. My fault. I just wished samsung had a 3gpp modem for it. So we have a cat 9 modem for the future of lte

I ordered the 32GB white yesterday, taking advantage of the $200 trade in credit.

I returned my S6 Edge 2 days ago and bought a $150 Moto X from Best Buy to use until the Note 5 released. The lady in the store told me it would be more than "a couple of weeks." Turns out pre-orders started the next day with shipping the day after, lol.

So I paid $150 + tax for a phone, and Sprint/Samsung is going to give me $200 for it. On top of that I got to try out the new TouchWiz and camera for 2 weeks. Win/win/win.

• Like 1

I didnt read the wall article thoroughly. My fault. I just wished samsung had a 3gpp modem for it. So we have a cat 9 modem for the future of lte

The reason for Samsung not having that modem for CDMA I think is because Qualcomm holds that and it would be more expensive if Samsung were to invest into something for short term. Rumor has it that America will be LTE for voice and data in 2021, but we will have to see.

• Like 1

The reason for Samsung not having that modem for CDMA I think is because Qualcomm holds that and it would be more expensive if Samsung were to invest into something for short term. Rumor has it that America will be LTE for voice and data in 2021, but we will have to see.

Yeah i was thinking the same since cdma is an old technology as compared to lte. Due to use of Qualcomm modems, our sprint samsung phones had the crappier modems from qualcomm. As we saw in s6/edge and note 5/ s6edge+. The HTC one9 has a much better modem than the newer sprint samsung phones. Also The gsm networks will get to have cat9 that can have 3x CA.

Hopefully next year sprint samsung phones will have better modems. I could easily switch to another manufacturer but im just comfortable with samsung.

Partially samsungs fault for not developing the cdma long ago, but cant say its sprint fault. Since our cdma is useful in many ways still. I just didnt really like qualcomm since the s3. [emoji38]

I went to the Carbondale Best Buy to check out the Note 5 and the Galaxy S6 Edge+. My initial impressions:

- The Note 5 was extremely well built. There's a certain level of craftsmanship that device had and part of it was due to embedding the battery.

- Performance was fast and the screen was the best I've seen yet from Samsung.

- Had no idea on network performance. These phones were not connected to any type of mobile network, it was WiFi only.

- On my main phone line, VZW was at 12 Mbps in that location. The east part of Carbondale can get a bit congested on Verizon as that's what most people have in that town.

- I don't know if the Edge+ was necessary. I would have been OK with the Note 5 being the only release and having more color options like gold platinum on the Note 5.

- The Edge + is harder to hold than the Note 5, the Note 5 is great to hold with the curved back, the Edge+ not so much.

- Samsung likes to put their own bloat on their phones. Lots of software duplication between Samsung trying to do their own thing and Google's default applications.

- Samsung Pay looks like a good idea but I'm still kind of cynical of swiping the phone over the magnetic swipe. I'd rather use NFC all things considered. At least it isn't Current C.

- If I switch to Android for my daily driver I'll get to use SignalCheck Pro, Sensorly, and Cell Mapper.

- Samsung Pay looks like a good idea but I'm still kind of cynical of swiping the phone over the magnetic swipe. I'd rather use NFC all things considered. At least it isn't Current C.

You don't have to swipe the phone, Just hold it against it. NFC will work just fine with samsung pay. The other  way is meant for where nfc isn't available. NFC is only available at 1% of the places i go. I can't wait ti 9/28 to test it. 

I won't have the note 5, but it will work with the s6

You don't have to swipe the phone, Just hold it against it. NFC will work just fine with samsung pay. The other way is meant for where nfc isn't available. NFC is only available at 1% of the places i go. I can't wait ti 9/28 to test it.

I won't have the note 5, but it will work with the s6

That makes more sense, but I'm still hoping it is secure.