Moto X 2015 "Pure Edition" [users thread]

nexuss4g

If I stay on Sprint I'm going to dump the moto x. While it's a great photo it's clear that Sprint never bothered to integrate it into their network properly. From my experience over the the past year :

CA doesn't work

Domestic roaming doesn't work, native Sprint coverage only.

I have Sprint open world but could not get data in Canada.

I'm going to get an iPhone for the simple fact that it's the only phone you can easily take to other carriers that Sprint knows how to support property, and has wifi calling.

Roaming on Verizon & Verizon/Altell works fine in Michigan.  I too plan on moving on from the Moto X Pure as I need more consistent support.  I'm really digging the Nexus M1 (rumored name of the Marlin), just depend on price

If I stay on Sprint I'm going to dump the moto x. While it's a great photo it's clear that Sprint never bothered to integrate it into their network properly. From my experience over the the past year :

CA doesn't work

I'm going to get an iPhone for the simple fact that it's the only phone you can easily take to other carriers that Sprint knows how to support property, and has wifi calling.

Or you could go with a flagship from LG, HTC or Samsung. They support WiFi calling, CA and roaming (varied on device, I can report LTE roaming on the G4 and G5).

• Like 1

The issue I have with flagship phone on Sprint is they usually didn't have all the LTE bands for other carriers and this lowered resale value. Only the iPhone was truly carrier agnostic. If I buy a galaxy s7 I want to be able to take it to any other carrier.

The issue I have with flagship phone on Sprint is they usually didn't have all the LTE bands for other carriers and this lowered resale value. Only the iPhone was truly carrier agnostic. If I buy a galaxy s7 I want to be able to take it to any other carrier.

I have the same issue with many devices on T-Mobile too. Just B2, B4 and B12. Many don't even have B5. So I'm really careful when buying Tmo devices to make sure they include at least most of the AT&T LTE bands too.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

CA doesn't work

My X pure would not roam domestically at all either. I finally bit the bullet and unlocked it, and re-loaded a custom "Based on Stock" rom and re-flashed the modem. Now it works and roams properly. I think the modem on some (if not all) the x pures are corrupt when it comes to Sprint, and since Sprint seems to be the step-child network in others eyes, it doesent get the attention needed.

I'm a long haul trucker, so I pass through roaming areas all the time. Especially in Nebraska and Wyoming. I passed through those areas, had no signal/data/voice, ended in Portland OR, unlocked, flashed, re-loaded and passed back through, and had roaming like a normal phone. Im not 100% positive but I bet it would run roaming in Canada if I ever ventured up there. 

Now it did not fix the Carrier Aggregation as far as I can tell when I'm in CA areas, but at least it works. Currently using CynogenMod on it now. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

That wouldn't include a radio upgrade using a 3rd party OS.  Radio upgrades only come from Moto

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Woke up this morning to an update notification,  was excited to finally get Nougat but it was just September security patch update :/ 

That sucks, I remember Motorola selling this device on fast upgrades, Pure Google Experience, etc.  I still have mine with the shattered screen that i keep pulling random bits of data off when I need it.

I love this phone, I've tried several others over the last year or two, but keep coming back to my Moto X. Unfortunate there has not been a Android 7 release, true.  But, it is still pretty early.  I've read reports of Moto X getting the update in a couple other countries (India was one, I think.  And, it may have been on QBKing77's website that I saw it).  Regardless, I don't think it will be much longer till we see it. 

Looking forward to the 2017 Moto X!  Hopefully they keep it "pure" Android, solid specs, and reasonable price.

If the price goes up by much, I'll probably jump on the Pixel XL bandwagon.  

I love this phone, I've tried several others over the last year or two, but keep coming back to my Moto X. Unfortunate there has not been a Android 7 release, true.  But, it is still pretty early.  I've read reports of Moto X getting the update in a couple other countries (India was one, I think.  And, it may have been on QBKing77's website that I saw it).  Regardless, I don't think it will be much longer till we see it. 

Looking forward to the 2017 Moto X!  Hopefully they keep it "pure" Android, solid specs, and reasonable price.

If the price goes up by much, I'll probably jump on the Pixel XL bandwagon.  

I just hope they keep the same ergonomic design and the fingerprint sensor in the Moto dimple. Otherwise, Im keeping my MXP. Love pure android and the audio quality when recording vids.

• Like 1

Was in Portland this weekend, was able to finally experience B26 on my MXPE, having an active connection indoors was awesome but sometimes it would drop to 3G in older buildings which was no big deal. 3CA is also enabled. Compared to 2CA in Orange County and Inland Empire, data seems to be a big faster when loading sites. My friends on T-mobile were struggling with full bars on their Iphones, their instagram feed wouldn't even load. 

Was in Portland this weekend, was able to finally experience B26 on my MXPE, having an active connection indoors was awesome but sometimes it would drop to 3G in older buildings which was no big deal. 3CA is also enabled. Compared to 2CA in Orange County and Inland Empire, data seems to be a big faster when loading sites. My friends on T-mobile were struggling with full bars on their Iphones, their instagram feed wouldn't even load. 

Are you in the right thread? I thought the MXPE doesn't work with Sprint CA.

Are you in the right thread? I thought the MXPE doesn't work with Sprint CA.

It doesnt work with 3CA but the MXPE is able to use any of the 3 carrier aggregation channels on B41

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

After lurking on/off on S4GRU; I powered thru this MXP thread*, but I still have a question: there was a truck driver abive that couldn't get his to roam domestically; so I was concerned that this was isolated, or systemic to Moto X Pures? I travel somewhat, and love the fact that I've been able to CDMA, and sometimes LTE, roam with my Photon and Moto X 2013!

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

*Love my Moto X 2013; and before I jump to a Pixel (2), I figured I could hold onto the Moto Voice functions/Hint fast awake, AND "test drive" a phablet tecide whether I can deal with a phone that big.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

any recommendations on a Glass and/or glass/LCD combo kit for this device.  I've got a co-worker who does the replacements and she has volunteered to fix my phone.  Just was to get a good screen/glass replacement.  I've read iffy reviews from the kits on Amazon.

• 4 months later...
On 4/26/2017 at 2:20 PM, nexuss4g said:

At least we will get the latest security patches and Nougat.  

That little birdie had the Test Drive updated to the September security patches.

On a different note, took my Moto X Pure with the busted screen in for a repair to a local shop today.  $130 parts/labor, not bad, I have to send my Nexus 6P in for a battery replacement to Hauwei, so I need a functional device for a couple weeks.

Will be nice having Miracast back, might be swapping the SIM around when I need to stream Netflix :)