Feature Wish List - What do you want in your next Sprint cell Phone?

Jeff68005

I see threads for individual cell phone models, but what features on a new model cell phone would push your buttons to run and get a new phone?

Good call quality and a good receiver that will maximize reception rate are at the top of the list.  Hopefully better transmission rates and no dropped calls would be the benefit..

Same for dependable GPS, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi with good refresh rates.

A comfortable screen and cell phone size.  If they get much bigger, they will be more like tablets.  Too bulky to carry around as we do today.

I also want:

Android 5.0 Lollipop operating system. Preferably native, but upgradable before I leave the store will do..

Preferably fewer built-in apps that I have absolutely no use for - my big hang-up is Android 4.x will not allow me to delete certain apps and keeps them running with no valid way to turn them off and keep them turned off.  They eat the battery life and CPU resources. 

Tri-Band Spark capable.

Wi-Fi (all bands versions including at least ac dual band.  I have one cell phone no longer in use that works on 5 GHz instead of 2.4 GHz.

Long life battery

Ability to change the battery externally - A spare battery has saved my bacon more than once.

Removable Super Class 10 Mini-SD card capable. up to 64 Gig or more would be nice.

Rechargeable - latest technology

Email and SMS text.

A good camera that has a fast shutter rate or better yet a controllable shutter rate.  I am tired of cell phones that make blurry photos because the shutter rate is too slow.  I want an autofocus that works dependably .Personally I am not so interested in making videos.  My sister on the other hand likes to video sports events.  We both want a decent zoom ability.

I guarantee you I have forgotten something.  I always figure that out after I leave the store with the new cell phone when I try to do something that I was able to do on the old cell phone that I just replaced.

What would pull our your wallet to get in terms of features and capabilities?

Something that is big on my list is a phone that has as broad a roaming capability as possible. The Nexus 6 comes really close, if it included Band 20 it would be very nearly perfect, but now that I know all of those antennas can fit in one phone, that's what I want. I also of course want any phone that is released now by Sprint to be able to be unlocked and used domestically or internationally. 

I just knew I missed something that came to mind in an unrelated thread.

I DEMAND my next cell phone be functional both voice and data at the same time.

At the very least ... give priority to an incoming call so that I may receive the call.  My wallet demands that.  So does the ability to call out. In my world, voice is priority ONE.

Another thing ... my next phone needs to be easier to answer an incoming call than my Photon Q.  I lose too many calls not being fast enough:

>hear ring

>pick up Photon Q

>slide indicator to accept the call    too many times, that attempt is unsuccessful and I have to strive again and again.

Oh add an automatic setting that is fully functional and WORKS.  On a recent trip, I changed my cell phone setting from Sprint only to Automatic only to learn the hard way, the phone was useless until I manually played with the settings into roaming.  Then when I returned back to Sprint territory, I had to manually return it to Sprint Only.

==========

Edit   the in my dreams dept ...  A slider phone on a otherwise decent phone. 

I just knew I missed something that came to mind in an unrelated thread.

I DEMAND my next cell phone be functional both voice and data at the same time.

Let us get this out of the way.  You will not get SVLTE from a newly released handset on Sprint.  Bar none.

There are workarounds for simultaneous voice and data, but you are not going to get it out of the box with the stock dialer.  If you require that, you need to start shopping for a different provider.

Those are the facts...

AJ

• Like 1

Something that is big on my list is a phone that has as broad a roaming capability as possible. The Nexus 6 comes really close, if it included Band 20 it would be very nearly perfect, but now that I know all of those antennas can fit in one phone, that's what I want. I also of course want any phone that is released now by Sprint to be able to be unlocked and used domestically or internationally.

Who uses band 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like a larger-screen (6" would be perfect) HTC One M9. :)

I hope you are right !  Between what I read here and a $5.00 per month lease deal, I bit the bullet and picked one up today.

Now I have to go to driver's school to relearn how do drive.   B)

Battery, no bigger than 5.1 in., 2x (or 3x) CA, and CCA/RRPP bands with decent RF performance. That's really all I need.

If it's not a nexus, manufacturer skin doesn't really matter to me as I'll end up flashing something close to stock anyway.

An SD card slot would be nice, but if not I'll just pony up and get a larger storage option if I have to. I've been OK with 16GB on my N5, but I have to regularly delete videos and TWRP backups. A decent camera would be nice too, along with wireless charging. But I don't require either one. I'm fine with my "crappy" (according to reviewers) camera on my nexus 5 and if I really need a good photo that's what my "real" camera is for.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like for Sprint to start demanding good rf performing phones. In this day and age, I'm still puzzled at how we seem to be getting some phones every now and then that have bad rf performance. From reading some of the boards, Samsung seems to be getting worse rf performance with every device it has designed for Sprint sine the S4 Triband version.

S4 triband > S5 > S6. Definitely not a good trend.

I'd like for Sprint to start demanding good rf performing phones. In this day and age, I'm still puzzled at how we seem to be getting some phones every now and then that have bad rf performance. From reading some of the boards, Samsung seems to be getting worse rf performance with every device it has designed for Sprint sine the S4 Triband version.

S4 triband > S5 > S6. Definitely not a good trend.

Your wish is not going to come true.  Sprint does not manufacture devices; for that, it is basically at the mercy of the OEMs.  And Sprint does not have the luxury of declining to offer a sure to be popular device that ends up with sub par RF lab tests.  If Sprint had opted not to carry the Samsung Galaxy S6, for example, that would have been commercial suicide.

Just like in all electronics, some products perform better than others.  But even the inferior ones still get sold.  For whatever engineering reasons, it happens to all OEMs and all operators.  To provide yet another Samsung example, the VZW variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 was by far one of the worst RF tested performers that we have ever seen.  Nevertheless, many VZW users were blissfully unaware and happy with the Note 3.  Then, the VZW variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 was back to roughly average RF performance, so the anomaly in the chain of succession was just momentary.

Caveat emptor.  Fortunately, S4GRU is the rare outlet that publishes advance analyses of tested RF performance for many handsets.  That is why you should always read and support our FCC OET articles.

AJ

• Like 1