T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

My guess is if the Pixel gets the SD836, that will have 600mhz support.

Agreed, particularly since it's rumored that LG is actually making the Pixel 2 XL version of that line.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Agreed, particularly since it's rumored that LG is actually making the Pixel 2 XL version of that line.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Its made a difficult decision for me between the V30 and the Pixel XL2. As of the moment though, I'm leaning towards the Pixel XL2, which if its confirmed to have waterproofing, it'll win me over to it. Already the possibility of having the SD836 and definitely having Oreo are the main reasons for me.

I figure it'll have Aqstic audio, which is fine by me for the Pixel XL2 not to have a dedicated dac, but I really like the enhanced equalizer on the V30bthat may or may not be on the Pixel XL2. Otherwise, Oreo is such a vast improvement over Nougat and the fast, regular updates sure are a major advantage too.

Hopefully there isn't a carrier deal with the new Pixels this year, unless they are sold by all of them. Also, perhaps having two manufacturers this year, one for each Pixel model, will help improve availability.

Its made a difficult decision for me between the V30 and the Pixel XL2. As of the moment though, I'm leaning towards the Pixel XL2, which if its confirmed to have waterproofing, it'll win me over to it. Already the possibility of having the SD836 and definitely having Oreo are the main reasons for me.

I figure it'll have Aqstic audio, which is fine by me for the Pixel XL2 not to have a dedicated dac, but I really like the enhanced equalizer on the V30bthat may or may not be on the Pixel XL2. Otherwise, Oreo is such a vast improvement over Nougat and the fast, regular updates sure are a major advantage too.

Hopefully there isn't a carrier deal with the new Pixels this year, unless they are sold by all of them. Also, perhaps having two manufacturers this year, one for each Pixel model, will help improve availability.

For me when it comes to phones like this I need the phone that has the most up-to-date LTE band set. Since the Samsung phones do not have the 600 megahertz band built onto the chipset. That's a major turnoff for me.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

For me when it comes to phones like this I need the phone that has the most up-to-date LTE band set. Since the Samsung phones do not have the 600 megahertz band built onto the chipset. That's a major turnoff for me.

I completely agree.

I don''t understand why Samsung decided to do this, whereas a few other manufacturers are having 600mhz available in theirs.

I really do not like this technology-skimping business model in favor of temporary profits, meaning the way of business to squeeze every penny out of an existing outdated product, delaying the release of a much better money-making product in favor of profiting more from older existing products with sales deals marketing, etc.

Yes I understand businesses need to clear out inventory and make money in the process, etc. Yet there ought to be a focus on the betterment of technology, which shouldn't be held back. This existing product approach currently is being used by nVidia, and its stalling out on Volta is absolutely infuriating!

So, the neglect of adding useful technology onto something is a similar frustration, especially when it involves ignoring future technology into something that exists today, which Samsung could very well be doing to get people to buy the Note, then turn around and buy their 600mhz-capable Springtime big release, which I expect to be a convergence of the S-series and the Note.

I completely agree.

I don''t understand why Samsung decided to do this, whereas a few other manufacturers are having 600mhz available in theirs.

I really do not like this technology-skimping business model in favor of temporary profits, meaning the way of business to squeeze every penny out of an existing outdated product, delaying the release of a much better money-making product in favor of profiting more from older existing products with sales deals marketing, etc.

Yes I understand businesses need to clear out inventory and make money in the process, etc. Yet there ought to be a focus on the betterment of technology, which shouldn't be held back. This existing product approach currently is being used by nVidia, and its stalling out on Volta is absolutely infuriating!

So, the neglect of adding useful technology onto something is a similar frustration, especially when it involves ignoring future technology into something that exists today, which Samsung could very well be doing to get people to buy the Note, then turn around and buy their 600mhz-capable Springtime big release, which I expect to be a convergence of the S-series and the Note.

If you add a skimpy battery and skimp on the LTE bands necessary for better coverage and experience you will lose out on customers. Also that's why I like LG much better than Samsung because lgv30 I heard support T-Mobile 600 megahertz band. So when I'm done paying off my G6 I will be getting on lgv30 on T-Mobile for that support I will eventually need for their new band.

• Like 1

If you add a skimpy battery and skimp on the LTE bands necessary for better coverage and experience you will lose out on customers. Also that's why I like LG much better than Samsung because lgv30 I heard support T-Mobile 600 megahertz band. So when I'm done paying off my G6 I will be getting on lgv30 on T-Mobile for that support I will eventually need for their new band.

My advice to you, Dan, is to also at least consider the Pixel XL 2, which is being made by LG. It likely will have an OLED, may also feature waterproofing and the SD836. It also will have Android Oreo at launch, unlike the V30, and of course will have 600mhz capability.

The only positive advantage I see the V30 having right now is the headphone jack with built-in quad dac with MQA capability. However, there is a very good MQA-capable portable dac on the market currently, which is made by the company that invented MQA itself, Meridian, with its Explorer2 dac. I have it, and its sound quality is superior to the Quad dac by ESS.

The only thing that still has me considering the V30 at all, is the uncertainty of waterproofing in the new Pixels, along with my interest in the new equalizer functions the V30 has. My new phone absolutely requires waterproofing, so I'm going to wait on the V30 until there is official word concerning this.

My advice to you, Dan, is to also at least consider the Pixel XL 2, which is being made by LG. It likely will have an OLED, may also feature waterproofing and the SD836. It also will have Android Oreo at launch, unlike the V30, and of course will have 600mhz capability.

The only positive advantage I see the V30 having right now is the headphone jack with built-in quad dac with MQA capability. However, there is a very good MQA-capable portable dac on the market currently, which is made by the company that invented MQA itself, Meridian, with its Explorer2 dac. I have it, and its sound quality is superior to the Quad dac by ESS.

The only thing that still has me considering the V30 at all, is the uncertainty of waterproofing in the new Pixels, along with my interest in the new equalizer functions the V30 has. My new phone absolutely requires waterproofing, so I'm going to wait on the V30 until there is official word concerning this.

But for me though the phone has to have many other things as well. It needs to have a dual camera set up. For me a dual camera module built into the phone is a must now a days and the LG V 30 for T-Mobile has that setup. Besides the support for the 600 megahertz band for T-Mobile the dual camera setup is indispensable.

But for me though the phone has to have many other things as well. It needs to have a dual camera set up. For me a dual camera module built into the phone is a must now a days and the LG V 30 for T-Mobile has that setup. Besides the support for the 600 megahertz band for T-Mobile the dual camera setup is indispensable.

By the time 600mhz is available in NJ LG will be on the V50, please keep that in mind.

• Like 5

By the time 600mhz is available in NJ LG will be on the V50, please keep that in mind.

Yes I do keep that in mind but also I remember it only took us two years from the initial purchase of band 12 to actually get it.

V30 will be a very capable phone when the V50 arrives.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm really waiting to see what LG does. Cuz I found the news article saying that the V 30 will be available to use on the 600 megahertz Network where available obviously

Well there are reports of V20s bootlooping, so no thanks. I'm not getting suckered into LG garbage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't had a problem with bootloops

• Like 1

You get a year warranty, so you got that.  If you pay for insurance, you have that as well. 

Also, with how this has been an issue over many devices (and LG is getting sued), they will most likely just do it for free.  My Nexus 5X was out of warranty and they fixed it for free.

• Like 1

Another not uncarrier event. With 2 lines, Netflix costs $20/mo. Can't opt out of this "Netflix" fee.

I wish they just offer 720p standard on their T1 plan and not that 480p mess. Cause looking from the outside in, it looks like their network can't handle unlimited data and the reason for the speed increase is the limiting of video and enticing users to use less than 2gb per month if they want $10 off their bills.

I wish they just offer 720p standard on their T1 plan and not that 480p mess. Cause looking from the outside in, it looks like their network can't handle unlimited data and the reason for the speed increase is the limiting of video and enticing users to use less than 2gb per month if they want $10 off their bills.

Good luck with that wish.  Especially with Verizon capitulating to the 480p mess and AT&T following very soon I don't see that going away.  To be honest, Tmobile can really use some folks on the 480p plan because until their 600 MHz LTE network is up and running as well as wide deployment of LTE-U/LAA, Tmobile doesn't have enough capacity to keep up the crazy 1080p streaming.

Another not uncarrier event.  With 2 lines, Netflix costs $20/mo.  Can't opt out of this "Netflix" fee.  

What Netflix fee? Tmobile is not forcing anyone to switch plans to take advantage of this deal.

Good luck with that wish. Especially with Verizon capitulating to the 480p mess and AT&T following very soon I don't see that going away. To be honest, Tmobile can really use some folks on the 480p plan because until their 600 MHz LTE network is up and running as well as wide deployment of LTE-U/LAA, Tmobile doesn't have enough capacity to keep up the crazy 1080p streaming.

What Netflix fee? Tmobile is not forcing anyone to switch plans to take advantage of this deal.

That's true. These carriers tend to follow each other. I wouldn't be too shocked if Sprint offered 720p. If they did that I would hope that they grandfather those who have 1080p included in their plan. They do pretty well with letting user keep their legacy plans.

I'm going to briefly emerge from my bunker to comment on this latest "Uncarrier" since I'm near a contract end and there's a large iPhone launch on the horizon.

T-Mobile doesn't need another Uncarrier. They need to fix their operations, specifically their ordering and customer service. I read reddit lately and it's thread after thread after thread complaining about all that. Coverage has, on their end, actually improved and I give them full credit for that. T-Mobile has 29 of 30 large metros covered with 700 MHz. I live in the 30th, of course. That said, how is Netflix, something I barely watch and quit subscribing to because it was less and less of a value with less compelling content to me, how is that a big gain? I'd have rather seen T-Mobile partner with YouTube TV, Sling, or PlayStation Vue. There's still a lot of demand for conventional channels out there.

Having to pay for Netflix is not a pain point on Verizon. To be honest, the pain point on Verizon comes down to price. That's it. Netflix is not much more of an appeal than GoFing90 is. That said, where I sit, Verizon speed has never been higher, so I don't see where Legere is saying "the Verizon network is slowing down" how are most customers going to tell the difference between 26 Mbps and 22? I sure can't. It's more of a pain point that HD is being taken away on Verizon where T-Mobile just charges more for it. T-Mobile One Plus takes unlimited prices up to VZ levels when they do not yet have VZ coverage.

I would have rather seen T-Mobile skip Uncarrier altogether for the rest of the 2017 while they wait to see what the Fatherland wants to do in regard to Sprint (and remember it isn't Legere's call, it's Tim Hottges that makes that call), and also fix the customer service and ordering while they continue coverage expansion with 600 MHz coming online.

On another note, Legere's spiel about satellite dishes is hilariously out of touch with how large geographical chunks of the country still get TV. I'm all for cutting the cord, but instead of insulting satellite, maybe realize there are some areas of the country where that's still a better method for TV than over the top, let alone mobile where it ends up being a shitshow due to spectrum constraints. I only recently got rid of satellite, and only because YouTube TV finally filled in the hole. I tried DirecTV Now, it was awful as far as reliability went. It can work for me, but then again I'm probably one of the few in Chester paying for a 100 Mbps cable connection. People on DSL are still likely having horrible luck with over the top. 

Just a note related to Hurricane Irma. T-Mobile has fared pretty well in my area. There was a brief interval of about 2-3 hours when the site battery back up failed but then it roared back up. The speeds have been excellent. Severely disappointed with AT&T which had a very bogged down network. I suspect that AT&T lost the site nearest to me during the storm although that site is both battery and generator protected. Both data and voice were iffy on AT&T. I have no idea how Sprint faired since I no longer have Project Fi. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bigsnake49 said:

Just a note related to Hurricane Irma. T-Mobile has fared pretty well in my area. There was a brief interval of about 2-3 hours when the site battery back up failed but then it roared back up. The speeds have been excellent. Severely disappointed with AT&T which had a very bogged down network. I suspect that AT&T lost the site nearest to me during the storm although that site is both battery and generator protected. Both data and voice were iffy on AT&T. I have no idea how Sprint faired since I no longer have Project Fi. 

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/13/lg-made-google-pixel-xl-2-hits-fcc/ neither one supports band 71... And neither does the iPhone!