T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

Snake oil salesman? Crass? I am glad you showed the group to stop bashing. ROFL. :hah:

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

See what I did there? I'm just trying to say despite him being a bit shady, he has done great (business wise) for the company. Love him or hate him, he did get the desired results. But I think my points are valid that all companies try to sell us all snake oil. All companies have their weak points, but its the marketing that makes the difference.

Very true...but sprint is dead last with voice over LTE testing. They have a very long way to go before they can commercially roll it out like the other three carriers did so I don't really see Sprint getting into the voice over LTE game until at least 20 20.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I do not see the need for a "rush" into VOLTE by Sprint.  Being first is not always good.  Allow the others to have all the headaches and expense. Once it is bug free, buy the equipment or software and have a launch.

• Like 1

I do not see the need for a "rush" into VOLTE by Sprint. Being first is not always good. Allow the others to have all the headaches and expense. Once it is bug free, buy the equipment or software and have a launch.

That's true as well but I also disagree with being last to the game. But since Sprint has only begun to enable LTE roaming and no volte roaming they're going to be in a lot of trouble when it comes to outside their footprint.

Very true...but sprint is dead last with voice over LTE testing. They have a very long way to go before they can commercially roll it out like the other three carriers did so I don't really see Sprint getting into the voice over LTE game until at least 20 20.

But this argument still doesn't hold up when talking about a merger. If Sprint were to merge with T-Mobile, they would not add CDMA to T-Mobile towers, just like they won't add GSM to Sprint towers. They would simply keep pushing ahead with LTE rollout and densification. Sprint's lack of voLTE is not a positive at this point in time for the company, and they know it. That is part of the reason why I think the MagicBox is great. It is about densifying the network to prevent dropped calls from when they do transition to voLTE. Sprint knows people want voLTE, mainly for simultaneous voice and data (just look through Reddit and people discuss this all the time as a negative for Sprint). In cities like NYC Sprint can easily do voLTE now. Verizon has voLTE, but I can tell you it is not on par with the CDMA network for dropped calls outside of major metropolitan areas. On my Verizon phone I do turn voLTE off when I am in smaller towns because it is much more fragile than the CDMA airlink. I can see Sprint moving in much the same manner here. 

• Like 1

But this argument still doesn't hold up when talking about a merger. If Sprint were to merge with T-Mobile, they would not add CDMA to T-Mobile towers, just like they won't add GSM to Sprint towers. They would simply keep pushing ahead with LTE rollout and densification. Sprint's lack of voLTE is not a positive at this point in time for the company, and they know it. That is part of the reason why I think the MagicBox is great. It is about densifying the network to prevent dropped calls from when they do transition to voLTE. Sprint knows people want voLTE, mainly for simultaneous voice and data (just look through Reddit and people discuss this all the time as a negative for Sprint). In cities like NYC Sprint can easily do voLTE now. Verizon has voLTE, but I can tell you it is not on par with the CDMA network for dropped calls outside of major metropolitan areas. On my Verizon phone I do turn voLTE off when I am in smaller towns because it is much more fragile than the CDMA airlink. I can see Sprint moving in much the same manner here.

I have all four cell phone carriers so I can easily validate your claim. But also at the same time densification still needs a lot more work. Same goes for Verizon as well. I've been outside urban areas and Verizon still needs a lot more capacity added on and sell sites in order to use volte it's still to a point unreliable but it's gotten better over the past year or two.

I have all four cell phone carriers so I can easily validate your claim. But also at the same time densification still needs a lot more work. Same goes for Verizon as well. I've been outside urban areas and Verizon still needs a lot more capacity added on and sell sites in order to use volte it's still to a point unreliable but it's gotten better over the past year or two.

So, if VOLTE is somewhat unreliable yet, why rush into it? Yes, work on it, but there is no real need to make people use it.

Yes, set up magic boxes, small cells, mini-macros and LTE roaming. Get that all in place. But do not force VOLTE onto the public before it gives the same coverage as 800 CDMA 1X.  The average user does not realize how many of their voice calls are on 800. I see it often and I suspect an attempt might be being made to force voice users onto that channel to free up 1900 for LTE.

So, if VOLTE is somewhat unreliable yet, why rush into it? Yes, work on it, but there is no real need to make people use it.

Yes, set up magic boxes, small cells, mini-macros and LTE roaming. Get that all in place. But do not force VOLTE onto the public before it gives the same coverage as 800 CDMA 1X.  The average user does not realize how many of their voice calls are on 800. I see it often and I suspect an attempt might be being made to force voice users onto that channel to free up 1900 for LTE.

They want to start using it because it is a selling point. Before I had voLTE, I never saw the need for it. After having used it now, it does have many advantages. Calls do sound better for sure. Verizon also lets user choose if they want to us it. They aren't forced onto it, which I believe is the right way to do it. Sprint will most likely follow this model (and they are with the two phones that do offer it). There are many markets that would be able to use voLTE reliably on the Sprint network and those users should be able to. I think voLTE will launch this fall along side iOS 11. 

See what I did there? I'm just trying to say despite him being a bit shady, he has done great (business wise) for the company. Love him or hate him, he did get the desired results. But I think my points are valid that all companies try to sell us all snake oil. All companies have their weak points, but its the marketing that makes the difference.

I know what you were trying to do.  You were clear.  I accept your points.  I just thought it was kind of funny too.

Robert

• Like 2

The biggest advantage for Sprint and VoLTE is simultaneous voice and data, IMO.  And the fact that CDMA is nearing its sunset.  They will soon struggle getting it into handsets, getting equipment for reasonable cost, and have a difficult time roaming.  If Sprint could easily voice roam on their LTE roaming partner networks, that would be a huge plus.  There are many roaming partners and potential roaming partners who do not have CDMA networks or will want to phase out CDMA soon.  

Sprint does need to fill in a lot more gaps in their LTE network to do VoLTE, though.  However, the progress in 2017 has been very steady and noticeable.  I'm excited.  The GMO's without LTE was a big obstacle.  Watching the maps fill in quickly has been encouraging.

Since Sprint does have a good HD Call experience on CDMA, I think this is the least important aspect of moving to VoLTE.  But it will be appreciated when we can move to VoLTE.  So long as the coverage is there and we aren't getting dropped.  Coverage, coverage, coverage is the most critical part to VoLTE.  B26 becomes vital.

Robert

• Like 4

Sprint knows people want voLTE, mainly for simultaneous voice and data (just look through Reddit and people discuss this all the time as a negative for Sprint).

Reddit discussions about wireless are highly specialized, exceedingly minority concerns.  If those Reddit discussions were representative of the wants and needs of wireless users in general, most people would be chatting away on VoLTE while hotspot tethering a torrent via VPN on their BYOD dual SIM Chinese handsets running the latest Android beta.  And because of all that, Sprint would have practically zero subs.

In reality, much of what moves the needle in the Reddit wireless enclaves barely registers a blip in the wireless world at large.

A small subset of people want VoLTE.  Most people have no clue what the heck VoLTE is.  A large number of people never have used simultaneous voice and data, do not realize that their device and network support -- or do not support -- simultaneous voice and data.

AJ

• Like 3

On my Verizon phone I do turn voLTE off when I am in smaller towns because it is much more fragile than the CDMA airlink.

Because of a confluence of factors -- a hellbent focus on wireless airlink efficiency at the expense of robustness, a priority shift to higher frequencies with greater available bandwidth, and a seeming decline in device RF performance with the dominance of internal antenna smartphones -- the unfortunate reality is that LTE and, by association, VoLTE may never achieve the same voice coverage as that of CDMA1X.  Densification in rural areas may not come or not be enough.

If I ran the zoo, I long would maintain one CDMA1X, EV-DO, or W-CDMA base carrier in low band spectrum as a last resort fallback for voice and minimal data.

AJ

• Like 2

A small subset of people want VoLTE.  Most people have no clue what the heck VoLTE is.  A large number of people never have used simultaneous voice and data, do not realize that their device and network support -- or do not support -- simultaneous voice and data.

AJ

Well I wouldn't say a small subset. While the average user has no idea what VoLTE is that doesn't mean they've never used it. My wife will often send me pictures while we are talking on the phone. When I was on Sprint I was never able to see them until I hung up. This scenario happens much more than you think. If someone comes to Sprint from one of the other carriers they will most likely be annoyed by it. If you've been on Sprint for years you've never really known it so you don't think it's a big deal. 

• Like 2

Well I wouldn't say a small subset. While the average user has no idea what VoLTE is that doesn't mean they've never used it. My wife will often send me pictures while we are talking on the phone. When I was on Sprint I was never able to see them until I hung up. This scenario happens much more than you think. If someone comes to Sprint from one of the other carriers they will most likely be annoyed by it. If you've been on Sprint for years you've never really known it so you don't think it's a big deal.

I understand what you mean I have Sprint and Verizon when I'm on the phone using my Sprint phone and I'm unable to use my data connection to download a picture message it does get annoying very quickly so I do understand where you coming from my friend.

• Like 1

Exactly this! They might not know it as voLTE, GSM, etc, but they will know others are able to send and receive email, map updates, iMessages, Whatapps, etc. I know businessmen that have let Sprint simply because of this. I also work in a laboratory that is jointly run by the state and a university and can say that simultaneous voice and data are huge for our field teams. You can talk them through data sets or GPS while on the phone. 

• Like 3

Because of a confluence of factors -- a hellbent focus on wireless airlink efficiency at the expense of robustness, a priority shift to higher frequencies with greater available bandwidth, and a seeming decline in device RF performance with the dominance of internal antenna smartphones -- the unfortunate reality is that LTE and, by association, VoLTE may never achieve the same voice coverage as that of CDMA1X.  Densification in rural areas may not come or not be enough.

If I ran the zoo, I long would maintain one CDMA1X, EV-DO, or W-CDMA base carrier in low band spectrum as a last resort fallback for voice and minimal data.

AJ

I have no problem with having Sprint keep a partial WCDMA channel for voice fallback. Not CDMA 1x though. CDMA 1x is dead. WCDMA is not yet plus they can roam on AT&T or T-Mobile.

Edited by bigsnake49

I have no problem with having Sprint keep a partial WCDMA channel for voice fallback. Not CDMA 1x though. CDMA 1x is dead. WCDMA is not yet plus they can roam on AT&T or T-Mobile.

W-CDMA is dying out too. T-Mobile is beginning to shut down those PCS W-CDMA carriers in favor of LTE now and AT&T will likely be getting rid of theirs sometime in the next 5 years.

• Like 1

Horrible, this idea.

In all my years monitoring the FCC OET, I have never seen a device authorized for fractional W-CDMA.  No installed user base -- unlike CDMA2000.

Additionally, CDMA2000 is dead only when the powers that be decide it is.  If they decide it is not dead, it is not dead.  Qualcomm certainly is not retiring CDMA2000 in its industry dominant chipsets.

AJ

Horrible, this idea.

In all my years monitoring the FCC OET, I have never seen a device authorized for fractional W-CDMA. No installed user base -- unlike CDMA2000.

Additionally, CDMA2000 is dead only when the powers that be decide it is. If they decide it is not dead, it is not dead. Qualcomm certainly is not retiring CDMA2000 in its industry dominant chipsets.

AJ

I for see cdma being around for a very long time....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I for see cdma being around for a very long time....

Plus, Sprint's CDMA voice quality is excellent. Definitely much better than the gsm voice quality on T-Mobile.

• Like 2

Sprint arguably has the best voice experience of any carrier, something we've seen borne out again and again through myriad industry tests. CDMA is aging, yes, but is still an excellent technology.

• Like 2

Sprint arguably has the best voice experience of any carrier, something we've seen borne out again and again through myriad industry tests. CDMA is aging, yes, but is still an excellent technology.

Initially I didn't understand the urgency many people made out of the issue in getting Sprint to deploy VoLTE, when considering the voice quality on Sprint being fine as it is. That is until I took into consideration the desire for using both data and voice at the same time, which is understandable. The question though remains, is it important enough of a feature to have Sprint use its resources getting VoLTE up quicker or having Sprint first focus on preparing its network to be better for it first before rushing to get it implemented quickly on an unfinished network.

Everyone has their own opinions of this, including that of how to deploy the network. Of course my belief is to first build the network in the most important areas while also getting spectrum resources prepared nationwide for when Sprint can get to network expansion after first building up their important markets. VoLTE can be comfortably released in between finishing important markets with LTE and expansion to other areas.

Plus, Sprint's CDMA voice quality is excellent. Definitely much better than the gsm voice quality on T-Mobile.

But Sprint's implementation of HD Voice is substandard at best. HD Voice gets disabled when WiFi-calling is enabled. Not to mention, it only works between Sprint subs. That doesn't make any sense...

With AMR-WB, TMobile/Verizon/AT&T definitely have the best voice QUALITY. Plus it works cross-carrier!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

People keep saying this, but in my experience it's horrendous. It's been the case for years, Galaxy S4 (1x800 only when that was prioritized in the PRL, 1x1900 was fine), Nexus 6, 6P, and Pixel XL. It seems to be I'm mostly in congested areas, in more rural areas or at night it's usually fine. I think CDMA carriers are overloaded with voice calls, and quality goes to shit to handle more calls. With the refarming it's just gotten worse to the point I use Hangouts for calls now. I can't understand a word the other person says during peak usage, it's all garbled.

For this reason I can't wait for VoLTE. Their CDMA network is useless to me for voice calls in its current state.