T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

If Sprint and T-Mobile merge, Son would be wise to shut down the Kansas City HQ campus and let Bellevue take over management operations. The Sprint name should also be tossed into the same trash bin that houses Nextel.

Yeah, and we should relocate the energy industry out of Houston.  Enron ruined the civic name.

I patronize Sprint in large part because it is a local business.  The day that changes is the day that I close my 17+ year account and check out of any further interest in this industry.

Anybody who thinks that the Sprint headquarters should be ripped from the Kansas City metro can kiss my ass.

AJ

• Like 3

Yeah, and we should relocate the energy industry out of Houston. Enron ruined the civic name.

Enron ruined themselves...sorta like how Sprint is gradually ruining their brand and image. Different methods, but same results.

I patronize Sprint in large part because it is a local business. The day that changes is the day that I close my 17+ year account and check out of any further interest in this industry.

Joining Verizon too, uh?

Anybody who thinks that the Sprint headquarters should be ripped from the Kansas City metro can kiss my ass.

AJ

It's been long rumored that the KC HQ has been filled with bureaucracy for the longest of time. It would explain why Claure moved into a costly regional hub model as he tries to cut costs. He has tried to fix it but hasn't succeeded. After building the first nationwide digital network on the PCS band, Sprint hasn't really done anything to help themselves. And they probably won't start now. The writing is on the wall; a merger pitch is coming.

Kansas City HQ can't be fixed unless there's a purge. But purges aren't popular or cheap. John Legere (the most hated man on this board) has turned around T-Mobile in an unprecedent fashion. If the time ever does come, it's clear Bellevue should take the reigns. Anyone thinking otherwise is, as you've admitted, a fanboy or a fatuous individual.

Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network Telecommunications has enjoyed a long history. But if we are honest to each other, Son doesn't give a flying turd about history. It's all about the money, and he will do whatever is necessary to make as much of it. Even if it means leaving the Midwest high and dry.

• Like 2

Enron ruined themselves...sorta like how Sprint is gradually ruining their brand and image. Different methods, but same results.

Joining Verizon too, uh?

It's been long rumored that the KC HQ has been filled with bureaucracy for the longest of time. It would explain why Claure moved into a costly regional hub model as he tries to cut costs. He has tried to fix it but hasn't succeeded. After building the first nationwide digital network on the PCS band, Sprint hasn't really done anything to help themselves. And they probably won't start now. The writing is on the wall; a merger pitch is coming.

Kansas City HQ can't be fixed unless there's a purge. But purges aren't popular or cheap. John Legere (the most hated man on this board) has turned around T-Mobile in an unprecedent fashion. If the time ever does come, it's clear Bellevue should take the reigns. Anyone thinking otherwise is, as you've admitted, a fanboy or a fatuous individual.

Southern Pacific Railroad Internal Network Telecommunications has enjoyed a long history. But if we are honest to each other, Son doesn't give a flying turd about history. It's all about the money, and he will do whatever is necessary to make as much of it. Even if it means leaving the Midwest high and dry.

I'm certainly not a T-Mobile fan, nor one of John Legere, and I of course would welcome a positive regime change at T-Mobile. With that said, Sprint's management taking over T-Mobile's management is not a positive regime change. So, as much I'd prefer AT&T buying T-Mobile, instead of Softbank/Sprint, I know it would be a great thing if Masayoshi Son were to replace Sprint's management with T-Mobile's management, heck even replace the Sprint name and Sprint corporate culture with that of T-Mobile's, would make things much better for Sprint than they are now.

Also, everything about Sprint, other than their band 41 spectrum holdings, needs to change. I advocated very early on that Sprint needs a name change. When I first mentioned it here, many disagreed with me, saying that all it will take for Sprint to turn things around is network improvements. While I agree network improvements are very important - something I highly advocate for Sprint to focus on instead of a merger with T-Mobile, network improvements will only do so much to help, mainly just to get better reviews in network tests (Yes, this helps some too, though not greatly, without other important changes to go with it.).

These changes needed include :

name change (to T-Mobile, if the merger happens)

A single rate of $45 monthly each line, unlimited data, no speed restrictions, congestion throttle point at 30gb, unlimited 2G tethering, addons - $15 per line for unlimited 3G tethering and international calling, $30 per line for unlimited 4G tethering and international calling.

An hour-long primetime special on live television from the new management explaining everything to the public, to be available on all streaming platforms too.

Oh, and this too - a move of the corporate headquarters to Silicon Valley, where the major tech industry is. The revised carrier ought to be located for easy access to the technical hub of things. Kansas certainly is not that, nor even as good an option as either other areas along the west coast or certain areas on the east coast.

Yeah, and we should relocate the energy industry out of Houston. Enron ruined the civic name.

I patronize Sprint in large part because it is a local business. The day that changes is the day that I close my 17+ year account and check out of any further interest in this industry.

AJ

Believe it or not, I'm extremely sympathetic to that belief. Over to the east in my home of STL, we lost what would become AT&T due to Ed Whitacre not getting a membership at STLCC. Then after that was the big shot in the gut, which was InBev taking Anheuser-Busch.

In retrospect... it was all inevitable.

But I think that if Sprint isn't merged with T-Mobile, any other entity willing to buy is probably nuking Overhead Park.

The main advantage KC has is a far better system of regional leadership and better infrastructure to draw in new businesses. As a matter of fact, the Sprint Campus itself could be an incubator for tech startups much like what STL is doing with its downtown.

Maybe the new thing will be bigger and better than Sprint someday. Embrace the future. KC's going to be just fine.

Tl;Dr Sprint is the problem not Kansas City.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I patronize Sprint in large part because it is a local business.  The day that changes is the day that I close my 17+ year account and check out of any further interest in this industry.

AJ

History is not on our side. There have been numerous companies that have been ripped from their original home towns when a merger or takeover was done. Even Bell Atlantic which was headquartered in Philadelphia in the early 90's, merged with NYNEX and moved to NYC and renamed itself as Verizon. As much as I hate to think about it, with T-Mobile doing well and situated in the west coast, closer to Son's homeland of Japan, it would seem very likely that if Sprint and T-Mobile were to merge, that the newly formed company will be headquartered on the west coast. That's not to say that everything in KS will be moved or eliminated but overall, it will have a massive effect on the city, the population and the workers there.  

I can't speak for others only myself, but IMHO, I do not hate John Legere, I just dislike his unprofessional style, his cockyness etc. Granted, wanting an unprofessional loudmouth seems to be the norm now a days but the facts are the facts, he has turned around the company by adding more customers and forced the industry to change their status quo view of how carriers do things. Whether that is better or worse (for the consumer), only time will tell. 

TS

• Like 2

I really hope it is limited to 720p which to me is good enough. I am glad that Legere decided to match Verizon's Unlimited plan with HD video offering but I don't want it to kill the network with 1080p streaming. Also I am glad that Legere matched the 10 GB hotspot tethering which to me makes more sense and will take advantage of that for sure.

For once, I want to say thanks to Verizon for being "Uncarrier" and pushing Tmobile (and hopefully Sprint soon) to retract their non-HD video offering and up their high speed hotspot tether buckets.

This move really has me considering jumping to Tmobile or Verizon since Sprint has not been reacting fast enough in Los Angeles to provide better coverage and speeds. It is simply taking way too long for Sprint to make progress.

Look into Verizon or AT&T. T-Mobile has been getting really congested in LA. Especially in downtown, Westchester and Santa Monica in my experience. Verizon and AT&T are a lot faster

Well, here is some good news regarding T-Mobile, and despite my general negativity towards the company, I must say this is a very good thing T-Mobile is doing :

http://www.tmonews.com/2017/02/updated-t-mobile-one-plan-will-require-hd-video-activated/

So, it seems that customers will no longer have to activate HD every day, only once, and it is unrestricted video from T-Mobile, meaning Full HD 1080p will indeed work! Or even 2k, I imagine...

This essentially ends BingeOn, and brings the plan back to the Unlimited Data plan it was prior to the BingeOn announcement. Of course, if you don't want to get to the potential throttle point so soon, it might be in your best interest to leave the streaming quality limitation turned on.

The other point I want to make about this, is that I think T-Mobile is doing the right thing here not just only by their not limiting video, but also audio. I just can't fathom how it makes sense to Sprint executives to limit audio, when none of its three competitors do that. It also makes Sprint's network look weak when they put these ridiculous limits on, like 500kbps for audio, 2mbps for gaming, etc. Now, Sprint is at a point where they can either choose to continue this, or to change it to stay up with the competition. Yet so far, it doesn't seem Sprint is going to do anything. Still, they have so much potential with all the band 41 spectrum they have, if only they'd spend money on network and deploy this spectrum, they would never need to worry about how not having these limits may affect their network, that is if these limits indeed are there in place because the network needs to have it under its current condition. Which if so, is very sad indeed.

T-Mobile is looking to disrupt the pay TV industry. Which might mean that instead of Sprint they might might merge with Dish. Dish has spectrum and they have the content agreements. Sprint has spectrum but also a lot of debt. Hmmm...decisions, decisions:

http://www.fiercewireless.com/wireless/t-mobile-execs-eye-pay-tv-industry

Just like cable cos wanting to move into wireless, T-Mobile wants to move into the pay TV industry. Which came first, the chicken or the egg ;)?

• Like 3

T-Mobile is looking to disrupt the pay TV industry. Which might mean that instead of Sprint they might might merge with Dish. Dish has spectrum and they have the content agreements. Sprint has spectrum but also a lot of debt. Hmmm...decisions, decisions:

Just like cable cos wanting to move into wireless, T-Mobile wants to move into the pay TV industry. Which came first, the chicken or the egg ;)?

Well, if T-Mobile doesn't want to take chances at Sprint or AT&T getting them, then getting Dish would be a great deal. Actually, I think they should get Dish, if other than pay tv, it also would give T-Mobile quite a bit more spectrum, and stopping its competitors from getting it, particularly Verizon. That would leave Sprint with far less options than to do what it should be doing, which is deploy its band 41 spectrum much more than it is currently. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint goes to Verizon or is split between Verizon and AT&T.

Well, if T-Mobile doesn't want to take chances at Sprint or AT&T getting them, then getting Dish would be a great deal. Actually, I think they should get Dish, if other than pay tv, it also would give T-Mobile quite a bit more spectrum, and stopping its competitors from getting it, particularly Verizon. That would leave Sprint with far less options than to do what it should be doing, which is deploy its band 41 spectrum much more than it is currently. Otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint goes to Verizon or is split between Verizon and AT&T.

That would only make Sprint get purchased by Comcast at point. Not bought by AT&T or VZW.

Tmo, Sprint, and Dish, should all merge. then as I am sure are required due to the amount, divest out some of their spectrum holdings.  In a way that works for them to have a more complete system in place 2-4 bands to carry across the country, instead of piece mealing stuff together..

The other thing, with the baby boomer craze.... one of these companies needs to come up with a simple plan for those who don't need or want all the data.. a few gig and unlimited text, and calls.  with a very basic and easy to use smart phone ala nexus on ensure (see what I did there)   And then promote the crap out of it... these accounts use less resources but should net a higher return per customer....

In fact something close to what I have for my business lines... basic 2gb, $15 a line.. want to add more then buy the bundles. plus a $10-20 phone. Call it the senior special or something...  I would bet Kids (20-40 yr olds) would jump on this for their aging parents, or the elderly themselves would..

That would only make Sprint get purchased by Comcast at point. Not bought by AT&T or VZW.

I seriously doubt Comcast is going to buy Sprint. If anything, Comcast likely is going to do something with Verizon. They'e had a very close working relationship for many years, and its doubtful they'd compete against Verizon.

Another thing to consider, granted most of us at least want Sprint to do better despite acknowledging the issues Sprint has, includes the general reputation Sprint has being quite bad. For Sprint to be merged with Comcast, another company with a very bad reputation that is even worse than Sprint's, would not do much to help Sprint. Whereas, if Verizon gains Comcast, rather than Comcast gaining Verizon, then Verizon could at least do something to better Comcast without a bunch of people saying "Ugh Yeah, two really hated companies merging, yeah right. No way am I joining them".

Sprint needs a positive boost and I don't believe they are going to be able to merge with T-Mobile, between the possibility AT&T might decide to intervene with a counter offer for T-Mobile, along with the FCC not liking the idea that a new largest carrier in size of network and spectrum created by the joining of Sprint and T-Mobile, also be ran by a foreign company. Despite that though, I do believe a merger between Sprint and T-Mobile would be great for Sprint, so long as Masayoshi Son replaced Sprint's management with T-Mobile's management. I know there was a time were I wanted the opposite to happen, but Sprint's new management hasn't done much, other than cutting costs. T-Mobile has done that, built its network, and brought in millions more customers than Sprint.

Tmo, Sprint, and Dish, should all merge. then as I am sure are required due to the amount, divest out some of their spectrum holdings. In a way that works for them to have a more complete system in place 2-4 bands to carry across the country, instead of piece mealing stuff together..

The other thing, with the baby boomer craze.... one of these companies needs to come up with a simple plan for those who don't need or want all the data.. a few gig and unlimited text, and calls. with a very basic and easy to use smart phone ala nexus on ensure (see what I did there) And then promote the crap out of it... these accounts use less resources but should net a higher return per customer....

In fact something close to what I have for my business lines... basic 2gb, $15 a line.. want to add more then buy the bundles. plus a $10-20 phone. Call it the senior special or something... I would bet Kids (20-40 yr olds) would jump on this for their aging parents, or the elderly themselves would..

The FCC wouldn't allow that. Even in a Trump pro-business administration. The likelihood would be greater, of course, if Dish were the primary owners, as its U.S. based, but not otherwise with T-Mobile owned by a German company and Sprint by a Japanese company, considering the scope involved, A combined company of those three would greatly eclipse AT&T and Verizon in terms of network and spectrum. Way too big, though one thing it sure would be great for consumers having a network so large.

Might be a 3 way. Take a look at the replay? (SNL anybody?)

Actually Verizon has approached Charter and not Comcast. So there's that...

Yes, that is true, and I find it odd. If Verizon does go with Charter, it must mean Verizon had a terrible fight with Comcast. It is very disturbing and sad.

I wonder if getting the regional cable companies more Nationwide is if Charter and Comcast try to merge, and then Verizon gets both of them to compete against AT&T/T-Mobile/DirecTv/Uverse, while Dish buys Sprint, which would relueve Masayoshi Son of his "burden", giving Sprint its own nationwide tv service to compete with AT&T and Verizon.

The FCC wouldn't allow that. Even in a Trump pro-business administration. The likelihood would be greater, of course, if Dish were the primary owners, as its U.S. based, but not otherwise with T-Mobile owned by a German company and Sprint by a Japanese company, considering the scope involved, A combined company of those three would greatly eclipse AT&T and Verizon in terms of network and spectrum. Way too big, though one thing it sure would be great for consumers having a network so large.

Thats why I said they would have to Divest some spectrum.. it would be big... but probably close to on par with the att/direct merger.. only thing is Direct doesnt have spectrum, or much of it I think...

I wonder if getting the regional cable companies more Nationwide is if Charter and Comcast try to merge, and then Verizon gets both of them to compete against AT&T/T-Mobile/DirecTv/Uverse, while Dish buys Sprint, which would relueve Masayoshi Son of his "burden", giving Sprint its own nationwide tv service to compete with AT&T and Verizon.

So there you go... and maybe it will move this way.. the 3 bigs..

Verizon/comcast

Att/Direct

Dish/Sprint, Tmo

Then of course there is this, that mergers I think would help the issue through partnering/agreements

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/every-major-cable-tv-company-lost-subscribers-last-quarter/

Thinking about it.. the comcast/verizon relationship has issues over the other 2..... internet.... the other 2 dont have a "true" backbone provider like comcast... Meaning something would need to change there

humm got me thinking....these numbers are interesting

http://www.worldometers.info/world-population/us-population/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/283507/subscribers-to-top-wireless-carriers-in-the-us/

more cell phones then population...

• Like 1

Thinking about it.. the comcast/verizon relationship has issues over the other 2..... internet.... the other 2 dont have a "true" backbone provider like comcast... Meaning something would need to change there

I think whatever the combination might be, its good to think about. Wireless companies need to grow, if they are going to be able to handle all of the added data traffic coming about. Spectrum ought to be divided up better too, which hopefully the new FCC will do a better job with, possibly coordinating beneficial spectrum swaps among the carriers.

• Like 1

The gossip seems to be around Dish and T-Mobile talking again. Or it could be a ploy by Legere to get maximum value out of SoftBank. Who knows.

I know I'm far from being a fan of Legere, and I believe there are people who could do a better job at running T-Mobile and are more worthy for the job, this being my opinion. However, that doesn't mean I think he's done a bad job, especially since he knew what needed to be done to improve T-Mobile at the time it needed it, and he executed it well. While I think others could have done this too, with more tact and professionalism, I wonder if they could have been any more loyal than Legere is to the company he works for.

This is why over at the Marcelo thread I've been critical of Marcelo for something I cannot in all fairness be critical of Legere for, which is publicly expressed company loyalty. Legere obviously loves his job at T-Mobile, loves the company, and does things he views is important for T-Mobile and its customers. Whereas, I just don't get that impression from Marcelo, granted I appreciate Marcelo being more professional about things most of the time than Legere is.

With that said, I'm curious which one of those two would lead a combined Sprint T-Mobile, if that merger happens, and if its Dish that buys either Sprint or T-Mobile, who would lead then?

The gossip seems to be around Dish and T-Mobile talking again. Or it could be a ploy by Legere to get maximum value out of SoftBank. Who knows.

Whatever it is, Deutsche Telekom is going to cash out "bigly". Dish needs an infrastructure to deploy their overpriced spectrum and Son's goal since the beginning has been to combine T-Mobile with Sprint to compete with the Big 2.

Whatever it is, Deutsche Telekom is going to cash out "bigly". Dish needs an infrastructure to deploy their overpriced spectrum and Son's goal since the beginning has been to combine T-Mobile with Sprint to compete with the Big 2.

After thinking about this for a while, I doubt Sprint is going to get either T-Mobile or Dish. I think what will happen is if AT&T doesn't get T-Mobile, Dish will. If AT&T does get T-Mobile, then Verizon will get Dish. Although I've been quite the supporter of AT&T getting T-Mobile, I'm thinking it is more likely that Dish will get T-Mobile, which would set up a good, strong competitive situation between that of Dish/T-Mobile and AT&T/DirecTv.

Verizon is going to need extra spectrum eventually, as they currently have the least spectrum per customer of all wireless carriers. From that perspective, I can envision Sprint breaking up as the result of Softbank's desire to sell Sprint if it can't get T-Mobile or some other thing accomplished Masayoshi Son might have in mind, figuring how difficult it is to figure out the true intentions he has. After all, he originally claimed to having wanted a strong U.S. carrier, yet he seems unwilling to spend the money necessary on network improvements for Sprint, in order to do this.

Look into Verizon or AT&T. T-Mobile has been getting really congested in LA. Especially in downtown, Westchester and Santa Monica in my experience. Verizon and AT&T are a lot faster

Ehh...I think I really appreciate the free international 2G roaming (speeds now doubled to 256 kbps) on Tmobile when travelling and plus the fact that my cousin joined Tmobile during the Buy 2 Get 2 Free lines promo back in Nov and has an available line ready for me to jump.   Not to mention finally that the price is still cheaper than Verizon especially now with Taxes and Fees included.

I am really hoping that a ton of folks from Tmobile jump to Verizon's unlimited plan due to the congestion that you eluded to.  Also I am not in those areas of LA very often so I am too worried as long as other areas that I frequently go to are sufficient.  I have no doubt that Verizon's speeds in LA are still overall better than Tmobile but as I seen as my reasons above, I am pretty certain about moving to Tmobile.  Also I am praying that ATT offers their unlimited plan to all customers and has a price point competitive to Verizon to help take the load off of Tmobile.

• Like 1

Ehh...I think I really appreciate the free international 2G roaming (speeds now doubled to 256 kbps) on Tmobile when travelling and plus the fact that my cousin joined Tmobile during the Buy 2 Get 2 Free lines promo back in Nov and has an available line ready for me to jump. Not to mention finally that the price is still cheaper than Verizon especially now with Taxes and Fees included.

I am really hoping that a ton of folks from Tmobile jump to Verizon's unlimited plan due to the congestion that you eluded to. Also I am not in those areas of LA very often so I am too worried as long as other areas that I frequently go to are sufficient. I have no doubt that Verizon's speeds in LA are still overall better than Tmobile but as I seen as my reasons above, I am pretty certain about moving to Tmobile. Also I am praying that ATT offers their unlimited plan to all customers and has a price point competitive to Verizon to help take the load off of Tmobile.

I wish there were more people here on S4GRU who live in the Chicago area and have T-Mobile. My mother still is using her T-Mobile prepaid phone and is having all sorts of trouble using voice calls. I'm suspicious its the network in the area, as Chicago isn't one of the greatest markets for T-Mobile spectrum-wise. If alot of people in the area left T-Mobile for Verizon, it would make going back to T-Mobile alot more compelling.

Neither Verizon or T-Mobile have that great of spectrum assets here though. In terms of spectrum, AT&T and Sprint are the best here, yet neither of them are great regarding the amount of towers in the area. AT&T does a good enough job of it though based on the spectrum they have deployed, which is why it generally works well enough for me, whereas Sprint is so hit or miss, and when Sprint misses, its bad, under 3mbps non- band 41 PCS tower connections. Still, I'd be back using Sprint so fast if they decided to deploy band 41 on all of their towers here though.

I wish there were more people here on S4GRU who live in the Chicago area and have T-Mobile. My mother still is using her T-Mobile prepaid phone and is having all sorts of trouble using voice calls. I'm suspicious its the network in the area, as Chicago isn't one of the greatest markets for T-Mobile spectrum-wise. If alot of people in the area left T-Mobile for Verizon, it would make going back to T-Mobile alot more compelling.

Neither Verizon or T-Mobile have that great of spectrum assets here though. In terms of spectrum, AT&T and Sprint are the best here, yet neither of them are great regarding the amount of towers in the area. AT&T does a good enough job of it though based on the spectrum they have deployed, which is why it generally works well enough for me, whereas Sprint is so hit or miss, and when Sprint misses, its bad, under 3mbps non- band 41 PCS tower connections. Still, I'd be back using Sprint so fast if they decided to deploy band 41 on all of their towers here though.

Over on the T-Mobile Reddit, people are more or less open about it being T-Mobile's weakest market. It is what it is. T-Mobile has hit spectrum constraints especially in the city proper. Cook County is more open and faster. 

• Like 1