T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

All new lines require at least one of two purchases: a device or a $20 $20 SIM.

AJ

Or until T-Mobile changes its mind, goes out of business, merges with Sprint, takes over the world, etc.

How is giving away service for free for life a good thing??

I'm no business major but $0 in service revenue with compounding cost to the network is not a good decision.

• Like 1

How is giving away service for free for life a good thing??

I'm no business major but $0 in service revenue with compounding cost to the network is not a good decision.

You need to start with customer lifetime value.

1) Cost to acquire the customer (say $300/customer)

2) Then take churn as a percentage to come up with the number of years you will have a customer (say 1.5% churn/month means that if you had 100 customers you would lose 1.5 of them each month which means to stay even you need to add 1.5 customers each month @ $300/customer to keep your same customer base

3) Come up with a weighted average life of your customer base and the expected cashflows you will get from those customers and take the present value of those future cashflows until the customer is expected to churn out (on an average basis)

4) So then you take the customer acquisition cost + the PV of the value of all the payments you will get based on your churn metrics and that's how you come up with customer lifetime value.

So if by offering two free lines to reduce churn, you are potentially making a lot of money by offering this promotion without a big spend on customer acquisition (aka marketing) costs.

It's a great promotion, very innovative - even with a $20/sim card cost. In reality, what T-Mobile is doing is giving people free devices with subsidies on the credit side to make sure again they don't churn out.  You could walk into the store and T-Mobile will give you two free lines on nice android tablets just to make sure you don't leave for two years.

• Like 1

You need to start with customer lifetime value.

1) Cost to acquire the customer (say $300/customer)

2) Then take churn as a percentage to come up with the number of years you will have a customer (say 1.5% churn/month means that if you had 100 customers you would lose 1.5 of them each month which means to stay even you need to add 1.5 customers each month @ $300/customer to keep your same customer base

3) Come up with a weighted average life of your customer base and the expected cashflows you will get from those customers and take the present value of those future cashflows until the customer is expected to churn out (on an average basis)

4) So then you take the customer acquisition cost + the PV of the value of all the payments you will get based on your churn metrics and that's how you come up with customer lifetime value.

So if by offering two free lines to reduce churn, you are potentially making a lot of money by offering this promotion without a big spend on customer acquisition (aka marketing) costs.

It's a great promotion, very innovative - even with a $20/sim card cost. In reality, what T-Mobile is doing is giving people free devices with subsidies on the credit side to make sure again they don't churn out. You could walk into the store and T-Mobile will give you two free lines on nice android tablets just to make sure you don't leave for two years.

All while diluting ARPU/ABPU, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wide spread doom and gloom is a bit misguided. There's congestion anywhere there is a large mass of people.

In my market, they are in the throws of adding L1900 and L700 layers, and there are at least 3 new colocations in the metro in the works currently. Not to mention the current modernization is bringing AWS-3 capabilities with it.

My Tmo DL speeds have been steadily dropping all year on almost all sites.  And now I'm down to several sub 1Mbps sites at peak times in the South Puget Sound.  :(

• Like 1

My Tmo DL speeds have been steadily dropping all year on almost all sites.  And now I'm down to several sub 1Mbps sites at peak times in the South Puget Sound.   :(

Assuming near the Olympia area, you have some heavily fragmented spectrum holdings.

You've obviously done a ton of mapping on CellMapper, and I only see 1c L2100 @ EARFCN of 2350.

Either, they still have U2100 on-air (seriously doubt), or somehow your device never gets pushed over to 2c L2100, which should have an EARFCN of 2200. This would be a drop in doubling of on-air LTE, sans L700 layer.

On top of that, you also have fragmentation in the PCS holdings, but its not unreasonable to see them move to 3c 10x10, 2x L21 1xL19, with U19+GSM in the fragmented PCS block, as well as some GSM sprinkled certainly at the guard band of the LTE block, and possibly selective RB sharing with LTE where needed.

Very, very odd you haven't seen 2c L21 there. GCI pattern is x65, x66, x67 for 3 sectors of 2c L21, or sectors 101,102,103 in decimal.

• Like 1

Uh, oh...T-Mobile gets sued for accounting shenanigans:

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20161128/carriers/t-mobile-accused-misleading-investors-hazy-metrics-tag2

I agree with them, it is kinda of hard to find the information in their Quarterly Reports.

Uh, oh...T-Mobile gets sued for accounting shenanigans:

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20161128/carriers/t-mobile-accused-misleading-investors-hazy-metrics-tag2

I agree with them, it is kinda of hard to find the information in their Quarterly Reports.

That doesn't surprise me after what I went through with my recent device purchase. That I'm going back to the store today to try to resolve.

A plea against abusing the T-Mobile network.

Where's the popcorn!!!

https://np.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/5g365r/please_dont_abuse_the_network/?st=IW7XHS82&sh=ce260305

• Like 13

A plea against abusing the T-Mobile network.

Where's the popcorn!!!

https://np.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/5g365r/please_dont_abuse_the_network/?st=IW7XHS82&sh=ce260305

I bet the big 2 is loving this. Especially the abusers that switched from the big 2 that had the old school unlimited plans. Send their problem users right over to T-Mobile.
  • Like 1

I think mostly it is all moot. 

In populated areas were speed is low, people will complain and get angry at those who "abuse" the network using many GBs.  But the thing is, if you kick those guys off you will still have the same level of congestion.  The speed gets spread to as many as are using it on that tower.  When speed is 1Mbps on a tower, kicking off one guy from the network cause he has used 100GB already isn't going to do much.  That 1Mbps he got himself will spread among the 100+ people on the tower. 

Then it also doesn't take into consideration rural towers where you will also get 20, 40, 60Mbps based on however many MHz are deployed practically all the time like in my neck of the world.  You could use 2000GBs a month and you'll never impact anyone.  People will still pull double digit speeds off that tower if they happened to run a speed test.

Then the network can easily be abused with programs like unlimited one. 

Plus the other thing is, mobile data usage growth isn't very linear.  lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And T-Mobile is stealing the spotlight again on Jan. 5th, 2017 with their NEXT Un-Carrier event.

It's really easy to steal a spotlight if all Sprint did was announce their plans. These UnCarrier events usually offer something that will be available almost immediately.

And T-Mobile is stealing the spotlight again on Jan. 5th, 2017 with their NEXT Un-Carrier event.

That is because sprint always reacts to events and not being proactive.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

T-Mobile published an EOY 2017 expected coverage map today

https://i.redd.it/03zpfb7hhy7y.jpg

If it's anything like most of their coverage expansion, it will be poor quality with large site spacing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Looks impressive.

After all these years I feel like I was a sip the look-aid for 6 months. If carry out with it I'll open a extra line on sprint and go on standby and port my number and my iPhone 7 to them so see why they have 70mil customers.

• Like 2

After all these years I feel like I was a sip the look-aid for 6 months. If carry out with it I'll open a extra line on sprint and go on standby and port my number and my iPhone 7 to them so see why they have 70mil customers.

T-Mobile's coverage is definitely better in my market. My daughter broke her phone so I put her SIM in my Nexus 6. It was much faster and I held on the LTE in many more places than I would have with Sprint. This was before band 12 was online. Now that band 12 is online those places that T-Mobile had no service now has LTE. Looks as if TMobile is only using it for coverage only. The devices mostly sit on band 4 or band 2.
  • Like 1