T-Mobile LTE & Network Discussion V2

lilotimz

iPhone7 also does not support Band 66 (AWS-1, AWS-3 and Dish's spectrum). Maybe some of the Android phones might include it. Otherwise T-Mobile has to wait until September 2017, early 2018 before it see any benefits from it.

• Like 1

iPhone7 also does not support Band 66 (AWS-1, AWS-3 and Dish's spectrum). Maybe some of the Android phones might include it. Otherwise T-Mobile has to wait until September 2017, early 2018 before it see any benefits from it.

I think.. the first phone to support band 66 will be the galaxy s8!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

https://np.reddit.com/r/tmobile/comments/52pgh6/tmobile_hasnt_applied_a_security_patch_to_the/

???????????? When the 4x4 update is a bigger priority than routine security patches. ????????????

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

in the northeast they didn't get much of anything in terms of band 66

in the northeast they didn't get much of anything in terms of band 66

It's rural and Midwestern and Southern markets that will get immediate aid. Houston seems to be the largest market where T-Mobile got B66. Still good considering they got aid for markets where spectrum constraints are real.

http://maps.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-aws-3-spectrum.html

• Like 1

It's rural and Midwestern and Southern markets that will get immediate aid. Houston seems to be the largest market where T-Mobile got B66. Still good considering they got aid for markets where spectrum constraints are real.

http://maps.spectrumgateway.com/t-mobile-aws-3-spectrum.html

even the Midwest got much needed spectrum

T-Mobile still did not get any AWS-3 spectrum in the Chicago area, which is downright pathetic of them not to have tried pooling more financial resources into getting some of it here.

The good news though, is that AT&T got 10x10 of it here, which adds to the 10x10 band 30 spectrum, the 10x10 AWS-1, the 10x10 PCS, and all the low-band spectrum AT&T has around here too. Verizon and Sprint both have more spectrum than T-Mobile does around here too, so a major lost opportunity by T-Mobile in getting their Chicago market competitive enough against the other three carriers.

With Sprint so close to having an amazing network here once all the towers get band 41 at ca x3, T-Mobile is really going to struggle here.

• Like 1

T-Mobile still did not get any AWS-3 spectrum in the Chicago area, which is downright pathetic of them not to have tried pooling more financial resources into getting some of it here.

The good news though, is that AT&T got 10x10 of it here, which adds to the 10x10 band 30 spectrum, the 10x10 AWS-1, the 10x10 PCS, and all the low-band spectrum AT&T has around here too. Verizon and Sprint both have more spectrum than T-Mobile does around here too, so a major lost opportunity by T-Mobile in getting their Chicago market competitive enough against the other three carriers.

With Sprint so close to having an amazing network here once all the towers get band 41 at ca x3, T-Mobile is really going to struggle here.

T-mobile will be right up there with all the other carries once 4×4 mimo and 256 QAM go live in the whole market. T-Mobiles investment in small cells there will be very high very high. My buddy lives there and says congestion is slowly starting to go away.. pcs is rolling out there and band 12 early next year

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Always the chance for TMobile to get 20MHz in Chicago when the next AWS3 auction happens.

Are you referring to what is happening with the spectrum Dish gave up?

If so, T-Mobile really needs to do so. Right now, Sprint and AT&T are in an excellent spectrum position here in Chicago, much better than T-Mobile is here. However, I suspect at an auction for this spectrum, that Verizon likely will put up a better fight for it, along with AT&T possibly trying to nab a 5x5 chunk to add with their current 10x10, maybe to make a 15x15 out of it, if possible. I haven't seen the AWS-3 spectrum chart in a while, so I forgot if it is possible for them to do so or not. Yet if it is, I suspect AT&T will try to do this.

Next to that, Verizon likely will fight for at least 10x10. Despite having a better spectrum position here than T-Mobile, Verizon does have more customers and is in a bit of a spectrum crunch, which could be said is in a worse situation with spectrum than is T-Mobile. It'll be interesting what happens.

Looks like T-Mobile is preparing to light up LTE on PCS here.  I found a single site in my log from Alexandria which has a 08 and 09 sector, and the EARFCN was 1025.  That corresponds to the upper half of the T-Mobile 10x10 in PCS. 

I also don't seem to have HSPA anymore, though I'm not sure I ever had it on the DAS at work before.  I'll see if it's still around when I leave today.

EDIT:  I eventually got my phone onto both HSPA and GSM for T-Mobile.  So it's still running after all.

- Trip

• Like 1

Remember spectrum is not everything and T-mobile having the least amount is a perfect example. T-mobile is building a great network with a lot less spectrum. Of course. If, they get more spectrum im not going to be mad ;)

T-Mobile is more or less forced to innovate since they have the least spectrum to work with on average. The problem arises when other carriers decide to element what T-Mobile has. Then the advantage is lost.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

T-Mobile is more or less forced to innovate since they have the least spectrum to work with on average. The problem arises when other carriers decide to element what T-Mobile has. Then the advantage is lost.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This is why Tmobile has limited upside.  They are good with what they are doing, but limited by spectrum.  They have to manage their network, and I would even argue very deceptive in doing so.  Their only choice is to utilize (milk) all the spectrum they have at their disposal to stay on par with T and VZ (all these new techs they are touting it's because it's a necessity).  I am also very skeptical about their 312 million pop coverage.  Drop calls and missed calls are on the rise for Tmo if you look at rootmetrics results for 2nd half of this year. 

This is why Tmobile has limited upside. They are good with what they are doing, but limited by spectrum. They have to manage their network, and I would even argue very deceptive in doing so. Their only choice is to utilize (milk) all the spectrum they have at their disposal to stay on par with T and VZ (all these new techs they are touting it's because it's a necessity). I am also very skeptical about their 312 million pop coverage. Drop calls and missed calls are on the rise for Tmo if you look at rootmetrics results for 2nd half of this year.

I haven't experinced any missed calls on volte! The 312 million pops are debatable.... T-mobile has always made it work somehow someway...i think they will be able to make it happen again somehow someway. Metro areas are solid for T-mobile congestion here or there, but solid in most cases. State side expansion is a heavy focus for T-mobile. They want to catch verizon in terms of pops in 12 months.. lot of work to do for T-mobile!!!!

• Like 1

Looks like T-Mobile is preparing to light up LTE on PCS here. I found a single site in my log from Alexandria which has a 08 and 09 sector, and the EARFCN was 1025. That corresponds to the upper half of the T-Mobile 10x10 in PCS.

I also don't seem to have HSPA anymore, though I'm not sure I ever had it on the DAS at work before. I'll see if it's still around when I leave today.

EDIT: I eventually got my phone onto both HSPA and GSM for T-Mobile. So it's still running after all.

- Trip

Sectors 07/08/09 sound like the L1900 found in Los Angeles, so I assume this to be an Ericsson market.

From what little I hear, T-Mobile is getting pretty aggressive with selective resource block shutdown to accommodate an 'in-band' GSM channel within the LTE carrier.

Would be very interesting to see what E/U/ARFCN's you could pull out of it. Especially given the limited PCS holdings in that market.

That would also put T-Mobile at 60 out of 70 MHz usable spectrum devoted to LTE, which is pretty insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sectors 07/08/09 sound like the L1900 found in Los Angeles, so I assume this to be an Ericsson market.

From what little I hear, T-Mobile is getting pretty aggressive with selective resource block shutdown to accommodate an 'in-band' GSM channel within the LTE carrier.

Would be very interesting to see what E/U/ARFCN's you could pull out of it. Especially given the limited PCS holdings in that market.

That would also put T-Mobile at 60 out of 70 MHz usable spectrum devoted to LTE, which is pretty insane.

Can confirm all of this.

Can you query the remaining UAFRCN too? And a couple GSM ARFCNs?

Edited by atomic50

Can confirm all of this.

Can you query the remaining UAFRCN too? And a couple GSM ARFCNs?

The HSPA is at 587/187.  The GSM I connected to was 709 though I see values up to 714 and down to 687.

- Trip

• Like 1

Well, at least it seems T-Mobile is trying to make the most out of its limited amount of spectrum. I'd like for AT&T to do this as well.