Wifi calling leading to fraudulent calls?

TheCUJuan

So I wifi calling came out just as I was going on a business trip somewhere with poor to no sprint service. Great timing...

However ever since stating to use it there seem to be at least 7-12 calls "made from my phone" to New Orleans - different phone numbers but all close to each other. I didn't do any of those calls and have had wifi calling off for the past week since I came back to good sprint coverage. I called sprint and they changed some "m Id" or something like that for my phone. She said it could take some days for that to kick in.

Has this happened to any of you?

Yes, and a few others have reported it. If you look up the numbers with the whitepages number lookup tool they're sprint numbers. Have you called any of them back?

I've seen Kansas City numbers in my call logs too. I honestly don't believe it's fraud but rather some stupid bug between wifi calling and billing.

Update:

After closer examination, it looks like oftentimes when I make calls instead of the actual number I'm calling showing up it shows some New Orleans phone number instead.... So you're right gusher, it looks like it's some sort of bug.

• Like 1

Yes it is a sprint computer bug. The calls will correspond to the ones you made, but with random numbers showing on the call list to New Orleans numbers. Went away when I de-provisioned which was shut off when got screen to update the emergency address (then option to turn off WIFI calling, some have turned it off on Sprint website). Now all calls show correctly, but I cannot reprovsion phone again to try it again. I have 19.1 and latest PRL, but turning WIFI calling back on I get 'we are unable to process your request at this time please power cycle the device and try again". If I really needed wifi calling I could call them and see if it works (there answer is usually your phone is bad and take it to a repair center). I don't think this is ready for prime time yet.