Similar forum like this but for AT&T?

xmx1024

That's a lot of spectrum! And it's deployed already!

and most towers have it. Thats why I get frustrated seeing Sprint with whole cities still with 5-10mhz of spectrum. In 2016 it just should not be.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

That's how I feel. I picked up a cricket line in New York and brought it to Puerto Rico. I am very impressed seeing LTE everywhere. I see bands 2,4,5,12/17 and 30 compared to 5x5 b25 with less sites. Very frustrating. Sprint worked great in NYC though.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

and most towers have it. Thats why I get frustrated seeing Sprint with whole cities still with 5-10mhz of spectrum. In 2016 it just should not be.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

That's how I feel. I picked up a cricket line in New York and brought it to Puerto Rico. I am very impressed seeing LTE everywhere. I see bands 2,4,5,12/17 and 30 compared to 5x5 b25 with less sites. Very frustrating. Sprint worked great in NYC though.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

As I've mentioned, AT&T is great here in Chicago, particularly with spectrum. If AT&T could replicate their Chicago network/spectrum in all moderate/major markets, they'd beat Verizon and everyone else. That is why I think AT&T will try again to get T-Mobile eventually, leaving Verizon to get some of Sprint's assets, perhaps splitting it with US Cellular, if at that time US Cellular were to make a move in growing again to be a large third carrier. I'm wondering if US Cellular is hanging on for that purpose just waiting for the mergers to begin, as I suspect they will and possibly US Cellular might suspect also. I'm not a fan of US Cellular, though I did want to mention this here because I think this is a very plausible reason for their continued existence rather than having sold to Sprint by now. I use to think US Cellular should have sold to Sprint, but now I'm not so sure about that.

I'm at the point where I've lost faith in Sprint and am glad I'm not with them. I know many people here didn't like Dan Hesse's leadership and decisions, but alot of what he wanted to do were good things that the board of Sprint turned him down. Just perhaps some of the problems Sprint had people blame him for may have been the result of Sprint's board too. Since Softbank took over and with Masayoshi Son and Marcelo Claure's leadership, very little has been done to truly progress Sprint. Sure, it appears to many people they seem to have stopped the massive losses, which I think probably is more due to the effects of all the progress made when Dan Hesse was in charge now coming to fruition. However, he did not have enough time to continue that progress into the next phases, which of course are the true band 41 expansions, etc that were suppose to have happened, or at least begun to a progress of major completion by now. Yet, we hardly hear anything about that, and with all the financial cutbacks and money issues being reported and speculated, I no longer believe in that whole notion that they are just over performing and under reporting, etc.

Anyways, not so much being critical here of Sprint, but rather the leadership of it currently. Besides the sell-off possibilities, I wouldn't mind seeing another company purchase Sprint from Softbank and actually put care into it and make it grow, rather than just maintain Sprint as is. Otherwise though, I don't see anything else happening with it, but a sell-off, one which would be very good for US Cellular to possibly take a step back into the national market. Verizon certainly will need some if Sprint's network assets if ts going to compete with an AT&T that has purchased T-Mobile, so that is what I'm looking at as a possibility when the government administration changes. With this, I believe, these mergers will help to bring more fairness in market spectrum/network quality I've talked alot about here in the past, particularly regarding spectrum reorganizing and FCC spectrum reshuffling to the major carriers. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, I decided to update this thread I consider as the AT&T thread, as it has a lot of useful information pertaining to AT&T in it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/01/12/why-atts-top-execs-are-visiting-trump-tower/ 

In the article,it mentions that AT&T executives were not meeting with Trump to discuss the AT&T/Time Warner merger. I really don't believe this to be true, just as I don't believe Masayoshi Son wasn't meeting to discuss the potential T-Mobile merger with him. The media seems to expect people to believe that these are just friendly chats from corporate executives asking Trump how they could help him. Yeah right!

Executives : "So, Mr. Trump, hmm... lets see, well first on our agenda is, we want to create thousands of jobs to help boost the economy here in the United States, and of course in helping to meet your agenda in making America great again."

Trump : "Fantastic, and in return I'll reduce your business tax rate and mention you on Twitter. (Buy Sprint. Buy AT&T, Buy Verizon, Buy T-Mobile, Visit S4GRU - if Robert visits Trump one of these days :P) It'll be beautiful, absolutely wonderful fantastic people."

Executives : "And, ahem, not to mention this in the media, but about these mergers..."

Of course they are discussing mergers and acquisitions. I fully believe that regardless of Trump mentioning reducing job loss, this isn't a deal where he's just going to avoid anything that is known to bring job losses. It'll be where he'll claim to make successful deals with corporations approving mergers on agreement they do not cut jobs, unlike what is the typical result of mergers. Then, the corporations will just shift things around to avoid appearing as though they are violating their agreement. Perhaps they'll just wait a bit to do this after restructuring things to appear as they are complying, but then reduce jobs later on, or whatever else gets them the benefits they seek from reducing jobs after a merger, Perhaps Trump is promising greater benefits than what they'd gain from job reduction, and thus making it easy to make deals with Trump in exchange for merger approval.

Porting over my line to at&t later today to test their waters. Sprint in north jersey is hitting sub 1mb speeds on multiple devices. Yet they say there are no issues. If all goes well thinking about getting their 30 for $130 plan. Also get a 10% discount and free activation with my school email.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

http://about.att.com/innovationblog/2g_sunset

RIP the AT&T 2G network. Also, RIP to anyone still running an original iPhone on AT&T.

So, when does 3G die!??!

Can we not use ambiguous and arbitrary "2G," "3G," etc.?  We are big boys here at S4GRU.  So, we can write GSM, W-CDMA, etc.

AJ

• Like 1

Frankly I'm really surprised nobody has tried to call CA "5G" yet.

Doing so wouldn't be all that different from calling wide-carrier HSPA "4G". Both cases are just existing standard tech but with more spectrum.

• Like 1

Porting over my line to at&t later today to test their waters. Sprint in north jersey is hitting sub 1mb speeds on multiple devices. Yet they say there are no issues. If all goes well thinking about getting their 30 for $130 plan. Also get a 10% discount and free activation with my school email.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Hopefully AT&T works out for you there. It has been great in my experiences here in the Chicago area. I'm on the Unlimited Data plan with uverse bundle. I even get free high-speed tethering I've used a few times when out of town at hotels with really bad wifi. Definitely consider this plan if you use a lot of data.

Can we not use ambiguous and arbitrary "2G," "3G," etc.? We are big boys here at S4GRU. So, we can write GSM, W-CDMA, etc.

AJ

I only used "2G" because that's what the article referred to it as. I will edit my post to make that more clear. AT&T is using "2G" in place of EDGE, correct?

-Anthony

AT&T is using "2G" in place of EDGE, correct?

Nope.  Saying so would be like saying Sprint is refarming Rev A.

AJ

Loving it so far, I can actually use data. Using a domestic unlocked s7 edge. Now my phone rings all the time where as with sprint I would sometimes never receive a call. When it did ring, I would hold it high saying "hello, hello, hear me now?" WiFi calling was of no use cause it would always freeze up, then nothing would come through.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Loving it so far, I can actually use data. Using a domestic unlocked s7 edge. Now my phone rings all the time where as with sprint I would sometimes never receive a call. When it did ring, I would hold it high saying "hello, hello, hear me now?" WiFi calling was of no use cause it would always freeze up, then nothing would come through.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Great to hear!

Having AT&T has been wonderful for me these past months, whereas before I went for over a year of problems with T-Mobile, and a few bad tries with Sprint, though most of the stress was from T-Mobile, which I'm hoping Softbank/Sprint tries to acquire and either they win, which would be fine by me, but what I'm hoping even more is that an attempt made by Softbank/Sprint to acquire T-Mobile will be met by an offer from AT&T to acquire T-Mobile also, and that hopefully AT&T gets it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is to hoping AT&T will response to Verizon's new Unlimited Data plan, with an elimination of the television service requirement.

However, even if AT&T does this, I'm now thinking perhaps AT&T might just have two separate deals, and give those with the television service the better offer. Right now, I don't really have any ideas on how they could do this, but I would like to see them do something special for customers who have wireless, television, and internet. Currently, I have all three. The television service at $20, with $50 for the 45mbps internet, a $70 monthly bundle I get discounted $10 on to $60 monthly already. Then the unlimited data plan two lines for $140, that I have a $30 monthly discount to $110 on, for being members of the Freelancers Union.

So, what I'm thinking here, is that while AT&T currently matches Verizon's rate for the Unlimited Data plan for the two-line plan, they could offer customers with all the services a $10 per line wireless discount. Instead of $100 for the first line, it would be $90, then instead of $40 for the second, it would be $30. For my mother and I on the plan, saving around 20% with the Freelancers Union, that would take the $120 total down to about $95, a $15 discount from $110 currently. Then I think AT&T ought to have the 45mbps internet at $45 instead of $50, and the basic television service at $15 instead of $20 when packaged with the internet. That would keep my mother and I at our same current discounted rate at $60, but would give other customers without our discount the same combined rate, again $60 monthly for basic television and 45mbps internet.

The $60 monthly rate between the basic television service and 45mbps internet only when combined with wireless, which as I mentioned earlier, ought to be $90 for the first line with the combination, $30 each additional line again only with the combination. So, a total of $150 one-line with $30 each additional line. For the two-line Freelancers Union deal with basic television service and 45mbps internet, $155 monthly, instead of the normal, non Freelancers Union rate of $180 monthly.

This is my estimate for what AT&T might do, in order to maintain their advantage bundling television service into the deal. Otherwise, we'll just be patient and see what AT&T ends up doing in addressing Verizon.

There is an interesting new thread on HowardForums, with a conversation going on regarding AT&T supposedly losing a lot of customers :

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1893928-Att-losses

Many of you probably know I've been a supporter of AT&T here for quite some time. AT&T does have an excellent wireless service and of course I got the service at a great reduced rate thanks to information posted here on S4GRU months ago. AT&T spared me from the dreadful T-Mobile network here in the Chicago area, and for that I'll always be appreciative for my time using AT&T and for the help of those here who posted information pertaining to the discount option.

However, I've left AT&T, due to their unwillingness to work at figuring out why my now former Uverse home internet speeds suddenly got messed up after upgrading from the 24mbps tier to the 45mbps tier, along with the forced gateway change to the awful Pace 5268ac gateway.I believe the problem was both with the gateway itself and the service terminal connection must have been damaged somehow during the upgrade, as there weren't any problems before the upgrade, other than I needed faster speed, in order for 4k streaming to work on my 4k television.

I ended up getting the Extreme 300 plan for downloads up to 300mbps using Comcast Xfinity. Since I decided to drop AT&T, I went to Verizon and got on their $20 cheaper monthly unlimited data plan with smartwatch service add-on for my mother's line, and we are paying $20 less monthly now with Verizon. So, we put that $20 monthly into the much faster internet plan with Comcast Xfinity, though it doesn't completely cover the added cost, which is actually $30 or $40 monthly more than the Uverse home internet service was, but the value difference completely makes up for that.

I highly suggest for people not to go with AT&T Uverse for home internet, unless they live in an area eligible for either the 75mbps tier, which guarantees a minimum of 45mbps (I would have gone with this plan, if it were available to me, as it would have forced AT&T to fix the internet problem here), or AT&T GigaPower is available for you. Otherwise, it makes much more sense to go with a faster cable option, even with a rate difference. Also, I highly recommend the Netgear 7000 series Docsis 3.0 gateway. It works so much better than the Pace garbage on AT&T.

Otherwise, it makes much more sense to go with a faster cable option, even with a rate difference. Also, I highly recommend the Netgear 7000 series Docsis 3.0 gateway. It works so much better than the Pace garbage on AT&T.

Did Comcast provide that free or via lease or did you purchase it yourself?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk